His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp

Well, at this point, you're +/-0.2dB, which ain't bad. Channel to channel matching is the most important and your data looks pretty darn tight. I did things the hard way, lots of trimming, but I don't have an inverse RIAA that I have confidence (read: calibration) in. I'll probably pull the network components off my perf board to stuff in the PCBs, just to save a few steps.

I was reading the Sowter 8055 datasheet -- it's been changed a bit to include some recommendations for a Zobel. The Denon cartridge I use has a 40 ohm impedance, so I added 20 ohms to the output of my generator (it has 20 ohms output impedance). I used a 740pF variable cab and 2.4K resistor (in parallel with the 6.8K) to look at the input at the grid of the D3a. The 190pF +2.4K reduces the bandwidth 0.4dB @22kHz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• NoZobel.gif
    NoZobel.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Zobel.gif
    Zobel.gif
    10 KB · Views: 176
here are some more charts -- i took a look at the frequency response with the zobel -- using a 40-740pF variable cap and 2.4k, and 3.18uS compensation:

and a comparison of the different D3a's I have -- the baseline is the preamp connected to the power line and analyzer, with no power. The 60Hz bump is =140DbV. Input was 400uV and 63dB gain.

Yes, they were all burned in. Only one tube is problematic as I see it. This pre is in its temporary house -- no umbilical connecting the power supply to the pre so things will improve when that bit of business is being attended to -- in the next couple of days.

My THD% measurements, with the 400Hz HPF are pretty consistently in the 0.03% to 0.04% range and the sound is just great!

Boards came in the other day but I can't solder one up until after Christmas.