NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi every body I have finally managed to finish the projector and fine tune it to a decent image.
The specs are 8" lcd from Car Roof mount screen
150W metal hallide Lamp
parabolic reflector
glass sheet to stop heat.
condenser lens
2 Fresnel Lenses polycarbonate
rear one is a page magnifier!
Front one is 3mm thick fineline type.
270 mm lens from OHP(singlet).
FFc Cable 6" extentio from lumenlab(they actually shipped it in4 days to India! wow!!
case from a dead PC

I get a nice image of 92"diagonal on my homemade screen(streched white nylon overwooden frame)with a black cloth backing to prevent backspill from the wall.

some more images

Attachments

• 92inch size matters.jpg
    92inch size matters.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9,276
Hey Budhi... hearty congrats to you.... the pics that you have posted are too good... great job..!!! :)
Well, I am from India too... basically from Mumbai, now in Bangalore. I had been studying quite a few forums on DIY Video Projectors, before I build one. Recently came across this one where I saw your posts. Coming to the point, buddy can I request some help from you? Just wanted to know how much did this project cost you all together, and from where did you arrange for all the required spares. Please do respond.

Rgds,
Makarand.

Hi Makarand,
Thanks buddy for all your appreciation.
now i just keep waiting for it to get dark so that I can fire up this beast!

I will give it to you step by step.
8" Car LCD roofmount (chinese Import) Rs 3,500/-
Metal Hallide lamp and fitting,ballast etc Rs 2,000/-
4" 220V axial fan Rs 400/-
Simple OHP lens (single Lens) Rs 150/-
2 fresnel sheets (out of my junk!) approx Rs 300/-
FFC cable imported from Lumenlab Rs 650/-
Glass,mirror, switches matt black paint etc Rs 500/-
Computer cabinet donated by my friend Rs Free!
Total Rs 7,500/-

Instead of looking around for second hand LCD panels and parts, do a little bit of searching you can get New screens the kinds that are used in Headrests of cars and Roofmount models at Car Accessory shops.
Hunt Buddy hunt!!! It saves you Money in the end!
I joined this forum about a year back(Really Thank every one on this board for every little bit of information shared selflessly) and finally got everything together
Now the biggest challenge was to mentally prepare myself to Hack open the perfectly new, out of the box, Lcd instead of putting it in my car!

All this for just 7.5 grands..??? Mind Blowing..!!!! That tempts me to get myself going with the construction.... and buddy, I cannot wait for a year long as you did to get it working in my living room.... just a too eager to get started.
Well, I am going to my hometown, Mumbai, for this Diwali season... will buy the LCD screen from there as it would be cheaper there than in Bangalore.
Thanks for the information.... will bug you further if I need more help..!!! ;)

Rgds,
Makarand. :)

Hi Budhi,
Congrats! I tried sometime back with the same 8.4 inches car roof mount lcd and failed coz I could not get the ffc cable anywhere here in India. I came to know about the lumenlab store only recently. But by the time that lcd panel had stopped working, maybe due to excessive manipulations. In fact there are 2 ffc cables - one thin and other wide. Which did you extend? And where do you get metal halide lamp? I am in Hyderabad and I don't think it is available here anywhere!

Pollok

8" LCD for 3.5K

Hi,
I am frm chennai.

I got cheated for 7" LCD TV for 5K here in Chennai.

Where did you get the 8"car mount LCD (for 3.5K).

can you give me the specifications????

I am going to strip it off tomorrow....GOD only knows what is going to happen for my 7" TV.

k...

C'mon Pollok.... you didn't search all of India, aint it..??? Well, I know two stores in the Electronics market of Mumbai - Connections & Connectronix - They deal in all type of cables, connectors, and whatever you can think of in making connections. They house almost everything relevant to, and in case if it's not available, just give them a sample and they will manufacture for you.... Had you done your search, I am sure you would have found such a store in Hyd. too... if not, getting the FFC from Mumbai would have been much cheaper..!!! :)

Hi Maks
By 'in India' I meant searching thru the net. Can't go in search for this cable from city to city! Thanks for giving the names of the 2 shops. Hope they are reachable thru net. I tried my level best in Hyd, but no use. Even tried thru a major electronics service shop, but couldn't find any!

pollok said:
Hi Budhi,
Congrats! I tried sometime back with the same 8.4 inches car roof mount lcd and failed coz I could not get the ffc cable anywhere here in India. I came to know about the lumenlab store only recently. But by the time that lcd panel had stopped working, maybe due to excessive manipulations. In fact there are 2 ffc cables - one thin and other wide. Which did you extend? And where do you get metal halide lamp? I am in Hyderabad and I don't think it is available here anywhere!

Pollok
Hi Pollok
I know what you mean... I went from shop to shop carrying the caracass of my Lcd screen to almost all shops in Nehru place for the FFC cable most refused outright others gave false hopes and finally said No.even RS product catalog/molex enterprise the guys who market these internationally are ready to ship large quantity only Lumenlab is the best bet.
The obvious cable to extend is with the lesser terminals more connectors more problems and more chances of getting dead pixels.
Come on man! Metal Hallide Lams are everywhere ,all cloth showrooms jewellery showrooms use them in ceilings and as spotlights in display windows any where they want colorcorrected light(5000K-6000K) they use metal hallides, the most common ones are GE and Osram Just go to the big light wholesale shops and ask for it over the counter.!!!

The Metal Hallide produces the least heat for the light it gives compared to halogens.You have to provide cooling, I fixed an axial fan in the case, just next to the bulb so all air is immediately drawn out. The inlet for cool air is near the Lcd so it pulls in cool air from the room.
I watched all the Matrix movies , Back to back , on this!
and its summer here in Delhi, read 30' C,and no problems with cooling.!!!

Attachments

• projector diagram.jpg
    projector diagram.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,054
Hi Budhi,
I didn't know the white lights in the textile shops were metal hallides! Thanks for the information. Then I can easily get one. And thaks for the projector diagram.

A query - the lcd which i bought (8.4 inches) had only 640 x 480 resolution, though the ebay ad said hi resolution 800 x 600! Will this resolution do? What is the resolution of ur lcd?

yes pollok
the resolution of most car monitors is this much only as they are meant only for video source input most computer screens have higher resolution becase there you need it to display small sized text pixels
this resolution is sufficient you will have no problems with video source as input.

hi pollok:)

hi pollok..

u frm chennai...
LCd monitors and TVs are available all over the Ritchie Street. The thing is they cost a bit more than B'lore or Mumbai.

Even for FFC cable, if you do an hunt ...just by showing the cables to any shop there.....they wud point out where they wud be available....

FFC cables are not a rare ones....even they are present in the assembled VCD Player.

Re: Re: 8" LCD for 3.5K

Maks0001 said:
Cheated as in..??? Is it not a good one, or did you end up paying more for something which is not that worth?

I feel like I have been overcharged....It is the normal 7" LCD. The specifications are:
Innova Color Display LCD TV.
654 gms.
30ms response tiem
abt 10w power consumption.
1220 x 256 resolution.
Active Matrix Display.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.