NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi rensenin,
Iam basically from madurai but currently living in colombo.
I whould suggest you go and look around for those LCD TVs that are ment for cars (7"/8"). If you know any OHP service centers then you can get some lens from them too. You can also try lensel from pune (yet to get a reply for my email :( ).

Actually it all depends on your budget.... All the best and have fun.

Mine is not ready yet. Have to import almost everything here :( Trying my best to get as much as possible locally... As of now I have only the LCD ready and stripped. I have an 9" from a laptop and a Benq 15" both ready for the proj. If I can replace the hard disk of the laptop my proj will have a builtin computer :)

ilango_slk said:
Maks0001, How is your projector ??? Any updates??? Iam still not getting any reply from Lensel !!!!

Hi ilango_slk... my PJ is almost done, except one obstacle that I need to overcome. I'm not sure, but I guess the UV rays from the lamp are causing some trouble. The LCD has a big foggy patch on it and starts waving when I put it ON. The colors in the patchy area are also faded and the image looks washed out. If I take off the mirror (i.e. no light on LCD) and put a torch behind the LCD, it's just fine. No patch neither any king of waves. But the moment I put the mirror back and bend the light to project through the LCD, it's the same story again. The heat is definitely not a problem as there's adequate cooling system in place and the LCD remains cool as such. Last weekend I went hunting for UV filter film - the one that is installed on car windows. But there was no vendor who would sell a small piece of it. I managed to get a cheaper one that was available as per the size requirement, but that does no good (and I had expected it). It's a three days holiday starting tomm... will try to fix the problem during this weekend. Any clues from fellow DIYers..???

Wavy Lines problem

Hi Maks, I Think I can solve your Problem of wavy lines.
Lets go step by step!
1. make sure your project is grounded well >A three pin plug is a must for all projectors. If you are using a wooden cabinet then you need a sheild of some sort around your metalhallide switchgear (perforated metal casing) this unit like any tubelight ballast (choke) emits a lot of interference which can give you wavy lines.

2.The powersupply for the Lcd screen should be isolated from the lightsourse by powerline filters.
an easy way to do this is if your lcd screen uses a 12V power adaptor dump the one that came with the screen and get a 12V adaptor meant for scanners these have a built in fuse and line filter just near the point that goes into the unit. this filters out most of the powerline irregularities.

3.Like in all audio and video projects sheilding the signal is very important get good quality connectors and cables that do not pick up interference.

Your projector is almost done, as you say you can see a clear picture when you use a torch for the source, its your lightsource hum and noise being picked by the LCD they are extremly sensitive to this, so sort out these few things and rock on .
Hope this helps bro.

Thanx a Tonne, Budhi.... I must appreciate your help and the systematic approach. So, let me too reply in the same order.

1. Being from the Electronics background, I have always known the importance of Grounding and sheilding. My projector is does have a three pin plug and is grounded well. Yes, I am using a wooden cabinet and the lamp is fitted inside the metal enclosure (please see the attached pic).

2. As you can make out from the attached snap, my PJ is a folded design. It has lower and upper partitions. I have mounted all the power supplies in the lower partition and all electronics in the upper partition. But yes, I can give it a try by getting a scanner PS as you have suggested.

3. I have used the best available connectors for signal inputs. They are gold plated and has cost me a good amount of money. The cables too are good quality shielded cable and I have taken enough care to cover the solder points.

But anyways, I think I will give it a second shot and emphasize on the points that you have recommended. Thank you once again... will bug you if I need any further help. ;)

Attachments

• 100_3890a.jpg
    100_3890a.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 925
Good show Maks
The screen grabs look promising.I cant make out any disturbance in the screen grabs but somethings dont come out in stills.hope you manage to get rid of the lines. it has to be powersupply issue as you say its all fine when you use just a flashlight.
best of luck
have you managed to put the lid on the projector, or is it still work in progress!!

budhi said:
have you managed to put the lid on the projector, or is it still work in progress!!

Thanks Budhi...
The lid is on... all cabinet work is finished. Started painting the box today. I'll publish my website by Monday, with full completed PJ... and lots of pics. Hope I can get rid of the waves and the patch by this weekend. Fingers crossed..!! ;-)

Congrats Maks! You are almost thru... Hope you can solve the wavy problems soon with budhi's guidance.
I was in Chennai last week on vacation, and was hunting for lenses. Y'know what? I got 2 triplet projector lenses - one short throw, 2.8 and another long throw 3.5, (focal lengths i don't know; they were taken from old projectors), a powerful condenser lens, a reflector and a fresnel ripped off an old ohp - all in one place. And all for Rs.1200/- So those who are looking for these items in Chennai, please go to this place. This is shop No 375-B in the new Moore market (Lily Pond)complex near Central station. One Mr. Manohar runs the shop. A small shop stacked with all sorts of projectors - from the old bioscope to 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, lcd pjs and even some other kinds which use film cassettes instead of roles! So, fellow DIYers, if you are in Chennai look nowhere else. You will get almost everything you need for the pj project from this one shop, and that too at dead cheap prices.

pollok said:
Y'know what? I got 2 triplet projector lenses - one short throw, 2.8 and another long throw 3.5, (focal lengths i don't know; they were taken from old projectors), a powerful condenser lens, a reflector and a fresnel ripped off an old ohp - all in one place. And all for Rs.1200/-

Hey Pollok... lucky guy..!!! that's a real cheap deal at all this for such a dirt cheap price.... if only I knew this earlier, I could have gone there myself and got it... chennai is no far from Bangalore.

Well, I hope to find some fix to the wavy lines and patch issue by this weekend.... let's C.

New projector from India !

Help !!!I need your help my projector is not going so well my lense is from an old epson 700c i'm not able to project an entire 7" LCD it's only projecting a small square directly in the centre of the LCD about the size of the original small LCDs that where used in the epson about 1" in square what can i do in order to project the entire 7" LCD ? Also the LCD with this lense the LCD needs to be about 20 centimeters away from the lense is there something that i should be doing different ? Do i need to use a smaller LCD in order to use this lense ?Do i need to take the first lense out of the lense and add something different I"m totally lost !I will post some pic's asap !

Re: New projector from India !

cool 1 said:
Do i need to use a smaller LCD in order to use this lense ?Do i need to take the first lense out of the lense and add something different I"m totally lost !I will post some pic's asap !

Instead of doing all this, I would recommend just buy a new Triplet Lens. It will save you the money (rather than replacing the LCD) and also save you the headache of experimenting with the set of Lens.

yusuf said:
I am from bangalore. Can someone from Bangalore help me in locating local dealer for lenses.

Also I was wondering, can we meet sometime to share the experience.

Have a great diy weekend :)

Yusuf

Hey Yousuf... I'm from B'lore too.... I have just managed to finish my PJ. When I was arranging for the spares, I could not locate any dealer in B'lore... maybe, I dunno B'lore well. So I got it from Pune (Lensel Optics) with the help of a fellow DIYer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.