NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Starting from scratch

Hello all,

I found this forum very interesting, have been going through lots of details for a diy pj's online for india and especially bangalore and found this to be the best place to learn and seek help for it. I am sure I will get the projector done. If any body also starting off do let me know we can do this together.

Nihonguy

Hello all,

I found this forum very interesting, have been going through lots of details for a diy pj's online for india and especially bangalore and found this to be the best place to learn and seek help for it. I am sure I will get the projector done. If any body also starting off do let me know we can do this together.

Nihonguy
Hi...i'll join you...where are you from...? i am from bangalore...

need help

hello friends
i am planning to build an 1080p project and start collecting all parts i buy an 15.4'' lcd pannel from nehru place delhi
fresnel and triplet from lensel got it 2 days back
already ordered Lcd Controller from Ebay it shipped from china and will take a long time to arrive
Electrical parts no problem buy it soon

now i want to know which material i use to build the box myself & i am heard 200w led are available in market do i use them or a 400w Mh
also i want to build a vertical design projector is anybody know where do i get the blue print of the design

Hi all,

Just a noob here, but PLEASE do help me out.

I'm from Mumbai.

Taken up this project.

I was actually planning to start off with a small lcd screen and what the results come out to be.

I'v tried a few tests just to grasp the concept, which was;
• Trying to project an image from my ipod on the wall using just a magnifying glass (Sherlock Holmes kinds) lol. well it was pretty successful, gave me expected results: inverted images, a faint projection although i turned the brightness up to the max. achieved a crisp image projection of 14" (200% scaling)

• also tried to project my laptop using the magnifying lens. againg same results - 200% scaling and faint projections. ( inverted the screen using ctrl+alt+Down)

Now that i get the concept i have moved ahead to try build a small version before i invest in a big one.

So guys please help me out. my science and electronic knowledge is just at school level (basic focal lengths, concave, convex lens properties and circuits.) ( doing my CA now :p)

INVESTMENTS on THE PROJECT:

• i just brought a nokia LCD screen from Crawford. (rs. 160) (2.5")

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH joining the LCD to my Laptop/Ipod?

attaching pics for the same.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also could this work?
A Simple Method to Connect a Nokia LCD Screen to Your Project (No Soldering Required)

PLEASE PLEASE DO HELP.

Hey Budhi ... my whole hearteed congrats to u for your success on this DIY Projector :) ... The thing is m in need of some serious help here....Its been a month already n I cudnt figure out how to make this thing work in a whole...This is how it went so far...

1> Got a halogen spot light rated 50W from a local store, Pair of magnifying glass (Convex, 65,100 mm) and a concave(Froma lab store), A chinese MP4 for the lcd(2.4" diagonal), two more convex lens of a greater diameter than the LCD used instead of fresnels(I could'nt find them newhere around :(..)...

2> I was able to project a simple slide(celluloid) which I got from a kids toy(Had to steal it from him :p.. lol )...However the image projected was a lot fainter when used the LCD in place of the slide ..When projected through a slide, the image was as big as 80" and the brightness was not so dissappointing...

Now can you plz help me with this :( .... I am pretty frustrated.... I know HID lamps cannot have any alternatives apart from halogens(Heating issues :( ..) but can you now guide me through the right path now?? ... I mean the right light source n is convex ok instead of a fresnel there??? plz reply this message to its earliest buddy...thnx

Hey deepu712004,

I would suggest you to NOT use the Halogen lamp because they do not produce close to natural white light and they have a slight yellowish tint to them which affects the projected image color and quality. Instead use a Metal Halide Lamp of rating 75 W or 150 W. These Metal Halide lamps produce less heat vs light output as compared to halogen lamps an they have better color temperature of 5000k - 6500 K and they product close to natural white light, which is good for projections.

Now regarding the brightness, the LCD panel will only allow 15 % of the total light to pass through it and this 15% is what reaches the screen where it is projected. The celluloid film will certainly have good brightness because it does not block so much of light. So, the option here is to upgrade your lamp to MH with 150 W which produces more light and it offers good CRI.

Using the convex and concave lenses is a good idea but they can never come close to using a fresnel lens. The fresnel lens is specifically designed to collimate the light and pass it through the LCD and onto the triplet. The triplet is also an important factor here. Using triplet as projection lens is THE thing. You can find triplet and Fresnel Lenses in companies which manufacture optic products (Like Lensel Optics in Pune). You can also find them locally, if you can inquire with any dealers or shops that deal with Over Head Projector (OHP) spares.

Regards,
SV

making a new projector in mumbai...

Hey guys,
Am planning to make a projector here in mumbai..
so anyone who's made one or planning to make one n wants to do it together, call me up!...9820962109-raj..(naam to suna hoga ..:p)

Progress, till now:
- Sent a quote request to lensel pune today..
- got a dead laptop, probably ill use the screen if possible...
- will go hunting for high power LEDs as my back light(cant afford the disply to burn up in d middle, nor the power bill...plus the LEDs cost a lot less,so affordable)

Hello

Considering that you will be using a laptop screen, I am assuming it would be anywhere between 10 inches to 15 inches in size. To get a good projection using high power LEDs for such a screen, you would need more than 150W and they are very very expensive. The 100W high power LED alone costs a good amount of money (about 4000 Rs.) and you would also have to invest on purchasing the driver unit for powering the LED, which again would come up close to the LED cost.

For your project, if you are using a screen of 10 - 14 inches, a good 250 W Metal Hallide Lamp would be perfect. The lamp costs about 500 bucks and the ballast about 800, so you have the whole light engine for under 1500 Rs. If power consumption is a problem, you can also go for 150 W MH lamp with a smaller screen size. The 250 W also does not consume a great amount of power, so that should not be a problem anyway. Also, MH lamps output more Lumens than what a high power LED would do. As long as you have sufficient cooling in the case, there is no need to worry about cooking the display or any other components inside your PJ.

As for the quote on Fresnel Lenses from Lensel, here is the attachment.

Attachments

• Fresnel_Lens_INR_New.doc
    44 KB · Views: 104
Diy projector parts for sale

Hi All,

I've been trying to build a projector for a long time. In the process i've damaged one lcd panel and then gave up. i instead got a commercial projector recently. So i've decided to sell all the parts i got for the diy projector. The projector is based on a OHP with additional mechanical assembly for the Metal Halide lamp, some wood work etc. I will post the pics soon. The projector is nearly ready. you only need to add an lcd panel and some assembly for fan and lcd power and electronic boards. Below is the list of parts available.

1 OHP with mechanical assembly for MH lamp 250W.
2. Philips Ballast 250W (integrated capacitor and choke)
3. 220 and 330 mm fresnel lens unused. (I used the fresnel that originally came from the 3M OHP for the Build and testing, You can have this too, but it has a couple of scratches)
4. Standard 340mm Triplet got from Optics allied.
5. Spherical reflector that came with 3M OHP.
6. OSRAM 250W MH Lamp. used only for about 10 Hrs during testing.

If anybody is interested please PM me. I'll post the pics in a day/two.
I'm in Bangalore.

Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.