The_Gnu's Lilliput projector (lot of pics) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2006, 06:54 PM   #21
cchance is offline cchance  United States
diyAudio Member

the 12.1" is laptop so it needs a controller ... i getting it from ebay... from a dell 700m ... i found the company that makes them but dont have it here....

as for the 15.4 yes its the synaps from walmart im praying it can strip properly
Old 14th July 2006, 10:09 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Good luck with the synaps monitor. Ive been looking at that monitor for a few weeks now but my current projector REALLY doesnt need to be replaced (it works really well). One of the main reasons i wanted to convert to that monitor is not only the 720p but the fact that you could replace it with a 15.4" 1920 1200 laptop monitor + controller later. Even though xga projectors are going down in price 720p and 1080p projectors are still very pricy. Keep me updated on the stripability of the synaps monitor.
Old 22nd July 2006, 09:46 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

exactly the reason im doing it as well... i want a 1080p but dont have the 250$ for the lcd and the 400-450$ for the good controller... this way for 150 i get a lcd that doesnt need a controller and has an easy path to the 1080p later when i get cash PM me your MSN or Y! and we can chat some time... that we stop hijacking gnu's thread hehe
Old 25th July 2006, 04:39 PM   #24
The_gnu is offline The_gnu  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your nice and encouraging comments
...I have been a little bit lazy with the updates here at diyaudio. Anyway here is the next one.
This is currently the zoom mechanism I'm working on.
The triplet lense is attached to the see through white parts that will be fabricated out of 2x13=26 mm plexi.There is 4 7mm holes in the plexi that will allow it to slide back and forth on the four 7mm steel rods. In the pics you can only see 1 thin spacer for the triplet, but I will also ad a larger one to increase the space .
I thought this zoom mechanism would be an easy task but it was really hard. The holes can't be of the exakt same dimension as the rods because then it will be a verry tight fit. And the holes can't be to large either because then the whole plexi part can twist a little bit and jam because of that. And the four steel rods need to be in a perfect vertical angle or the whole thing will jam.. ..
Any sugestions on any easy zoom mechanisms would really be helpfull.
(it needs to be able to slide ~5 cm)
Click the image to open in full size.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the 13mm plexi I got for free. It's from when we rebuilt at the supermarket I was working in. Its a cashregister "booth".
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

cut a piece and drilled a hole in the middle that is threaded and inserted a cut of bolt.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is How I started to create the round shape for the triplet lense spacer.I attached the plexi to my drillpress and used a normal saw. The larger ones that you normaly cut wood with. Make shure not to press the sawblade to hard against the spinning plexi, as it will "cut" and you can hurt yourself or damage the plexi.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

after a while i could move down to the file and at last the sandpaper.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

I used a razorblade to pres against the top while spinning to mark where i was going to create a hole. The 3 smaller holes are for the triplet to attach to.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

I drilled holes in a cirkle and removed the middle section. Trimed down the edges with this dremel ad on. Its a sandpaper brushing weel.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

I have also made a second smaller spacer for the triplet lense in the same way.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

triplet lense with small spacer.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Cut a hole in the front plexi plate for the triplet.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The fit was perfect... those ugly bolts will not be visible in the end.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here I cut a fan hole in the bottom plate to blow air in to the lamp from below.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

/GNU
Old 25th July 2006, 05:01 PM   #25
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

You're putting quite some elbow grease into that project! Excellent job so far

Regards
Old 25th July 2006, 05:45 PM   #26
rob1231 is offline rob1231  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rob1231
Yeh you are making one hell of a pj. Keep up the great work!
Old 29th July 2006, 12:23 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Im glad to hear you like it. Been working on this creature for a long time now. Started searching for parts and planing about 2 years ago and It's only the finnishing details and electronics left to fabricate..

Here is some more pictures.

Marking out where im going to mount all the connectors and the power switch.
Click the image to open in full size.(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here it is all mounted. You can see the VGA connector is attached with regular screws. These will be changed for normal connector screws so that you can secure the connector. The reead and black connectors are NOT for sound, they are for AV1 and AV2 video IN. There will be no speakers in it at all. Don't think that will be needed because all audio will bee connected to the sorround system.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Time to mount the ballast for the 250w lamp. It is very very heavy. Around 3-5 kilo I would guess. So I relly want it to stay in place and this is how I mounted it.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Fabricated 2 pieces of plexi that will act as a stand for the ballast. They will be secured to the ballast and then too the bottom plate from underneath.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This white thing is the ballast.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The ballast is mounted to the bottomplate with 6 screws. 2 vissible on that aluplate on the side of the ballast and 4 non vissible underneath that is secured into the 2 pieces of plexi. Now that big heavy thing won't move at all.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

That's it for today. Will be back soon with more.

/GNU
Old 29th July 2006, 12:49 AM   #28
rob1231 is offline rob1231  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rob1231
sweet, this really makes me want to start again. Just dont know where to get all the parts and stuff. Can you please post some sites where you got lenses and stuff. Many thanks, Rob
Old 29th July 2006, 04:07 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

fresnels you can get from 3dlens.com or lumenlabs depending on the focal length you want.... i'd say to go with http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/ has a cheap triplet that many have compaired to the pro lens from lumenlabs... just at about 1/5th the price for a ballast light if your going big i'd suggest the t15 from lumenlab with a magnetic ballast m59 (ebay) or an eballast if u have the cash
Old 30th July 2006, 01:08 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob1231
sweet, this really makes me want to start again. Just dont know where to get all the parts and stuff. Can you please post some sites where you got lenses and stuff. Many thanks, Rob

"want to start again...." have you got some unfinished project laying around.. what made you stop? I don't know to much about all the parts i have to admit. I'n the beginning I was searching for parts in different places but then I realised that ,since I wasn't shure if the parts would fit together, it would probably be best to buy all the parts together. All of my parts are bought from www.exclusiv-online.com. That way, I was shure that all the parts would fit together. But if your planing on buying separate parts. I recomend you talk to cchance, as I bet he knows more about that than me :P
Good luck with you project if you choose to start again..

/GNU

Hide this!Advertise here!