The_Gnu's Lilliput projector (lot of pics) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2006, 01:06 AM   #11
rob1231 is offline rob1231  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rob1231
very neat setup, ill keep watching this one!
Old 25th June 2006, 02:35 PM   #12
The_gnu is offline The_gnu  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Time for some pictures of the 7" TFT and the TFT holder.
The native resolution is 800x480 but it is able to handle 1280x1024 interpolated. That means that the pixels are 800x480 but compared to normal TFT displays you can use a resolution higer than that. With hig resolutions like 1280x1024 you get a slight blur , but it works great with 1024x768. All the text on a web browser is readable.

Further data:
- PAL/NTSC standard (SECAM is not supported)
- 400 nits translucences !
- 200:1 contrast !
- 30 ms response time !
- 12 V input - 1000 mA
- Widescreen format
- over OnScreen display adjustable (AV1/2 and VGA)

The response time is claimed to be 30 ms. That normaly means a slight ghosting but I can't see any ghosting what so ever. Ben playing Counter-strike source , car games , and watched Fast motion action movies and I can't se any noticable ghosting. Hard to see any differense compared to my BENQ-FP567s with 16ms.

More pictures of the display in action

Click the image to open in full size.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is a closeup pic of the startmeny corner and the winamp playlist. The resolution is 1024x768. No comments on the music please.....i know zoom in on the pic to se the pixels more clearly.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is also a 1024x768 resolution picture. Here you can clearly se the pixelsize. Note!! that the rounded edges is only the front plastic of the TFT display.. When these are removed the whole edge will be vissible.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

..the same picture and resolution on my 15" tft BENQ-FP567s.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is the controller card for the TFT.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

..and this is the TFT display itself. As you can see it is very thin, and you have to handle it with care to not damage those very thin brown "cables". Above the display you can see the mounting bracket that the tft was attached to.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The mounting bracket again, but i need to moddify it a little bit to be abble to create my TFT holder.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Made 1 cut with the dremel and bendt a little piece of the frame.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This was made in each corner and holes where drilled.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

..attached to the mainframe and marking out where to cut.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you can se the controllercard supports. One for the larger one and one for the smaller. It is made out of some of the plexi I got for free. These parts are from document holder so I didn't need do create the bends by myself. was just lucky
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

a little bonus... here is the backlight CCFL. You bet I got some ideas for this in my future projects....
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Bzzzzzoooomm....bzzzooom....almost makes me feel like Luke.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

/GNU
Old 27th June 2006, 09:17 AM   #13
cchance is offline cchance  United States
diyAudio Member

wow this is ... AMAZING LOOKING, i really hope you post some more pictures cause this is just an awesome looking PJ... too bad i'm still deciding if i want to save some cash and do a small pj next or just go ahead and jump to a 15.4" but everytime i see these small sexy PJ's i wanna build one and yours is really inspiring but mine would never look as good...

Can't wait to see picture quality ... only concern really is the 200:1 contrast thats quite low... but hope it works out
Old 30th June 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

any updates? I'm really eager to see how the pj turns out. Great work so far.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:17 PM   #15
rob1231 is offline rob1231  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rob1231
same here, I really want to see the outcome on this one. Hope all is going well.
Old 9th July 2006, 10:57 PM   #16
The_gnu is offline The_gnu  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cchance
wow this is ... AMAZING LOOKING, i really hope you post some more pictures cause this is just an awesome looking PJ... too bad i'm still deciding if i want to save some cash and do a small pj next or just go ahead and jump to a 15.4" but everytime i see these small sexy PJ's i wanna build one and yours is really inspiring but mine would never look as good...

Can't wait to see picture quality ... only concern really is the 200:1 contrast thats quite low... but hope it works out
thx cchance...I also had a hard time deciding if I wanted a big or small projector. The size of the projector itself was what was my biggest consern. I didnt have enough room for a 15" and I thought a 7" projector would look more nice than those big 15" boxes. And I also wanted a widescreen image and couldn't find any suitable 15" widescreen display.

Anyway..here's a new update.

These pictures show how the tft is mounted and how the keystone device will work. Keystone allows you to place the projector on a table or by the celing without getting distorted images. To make this possible you simply tilt the front fresnel lens up or down and the image projected will also be tilted. There is also Digital keystone but that means you tilt the image with software and therefore loose a lot of resolution. If you have an Nvida graphic card you can use Nvidias keystone program.

The TFT panel and the controller cards are mounted and you can see through the panel.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

These long M3 screws will hold the display in place and the back fresnel lens too.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The TFT is positioned in the original metall frame and then the original black plastic frame (vissible in pic#8 in post #48) is attached on top and clamped down with a small piece of plexi, and underneath that plexi is a small piece of soft foam to prevent the display from being damaged.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is my keystone mechanism. One on each side. These will hold the Front fresnel lens and allow me to tilt it.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

PAINT... :rock: .... The dark grey screw is a M3 screw that is not threaded all the way up to the the "hat". An M3 nut (light grey) is screwed on to the far edge of the threads and since there are no more threads it will stop. It leaves a small gap to the bottom L-bar that allows the dark grey screw to turn around freely. The top L-bar is secured tightly to the dark grey screw using a second M3 nut (light grey)
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

To be able to lock the lense in different positions I bent this M3 screw to a 90 degree angle and drilled a hole that I threaded to M3 size.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

And..voila.. This works as a lever...turning it, it will press the top L-bar and it will stay in the desired position.
(CLICK TO ZOOM)

That's it for today.

/GNU
Old 10th July 2006, 12:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ChristmasGT
best styled Projector.

I love it, hands down, makes me wish I could work with metal and wood for designs
Old 10th July 2006, 09:13 AM   #18
cchance is offline cchance  United States
diyAudio Member

hehe ... ya i'm building 2 projectors my first though is a 15.4" 720p that i'm getting for 150$ and doesn't need a controller.... and later on when i get more money in a few months ill upgrade to a 1080p+controller 15.4 ..... as for myother monitor im gonna do a 12.1" 720p for my room (needs a controller)....

This way i have an upgrade path for my living room (15.4") on the cheapside... and the more expensive small 720p for my bedroom....

i wanted to do a 7" for my bedroom but feared the projection quality... and 12.1 seemed like a good size and since i found one with HD i figure wth...

can i talk to you on MSN sometime? cchance@gmail.com if you can i'd appreciate it
Old 10th July 2006, 09:46 AM   #19
wrl is offline wrl  United States
diyAudio Member

Very NICE work...

this should be a advertisment for dremmel!!

-Wes
Old 11th July 2006, 09:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey cchance, what are you using for the 15.4 720p lcd? Is the walmart synaps? I was looking at that monitor to replace my 15'' so that i could have 720p. I am also interested to know where you found a 720p lcd at 12.1". Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!