Projection panels for ohp have higher res than a 5" lcd tv... I think not...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am in the mist of planning my projector project. I have bought a delta IV lens, and just on a wim one night i desided to buy the 5" lcd from parts express. Both items are in the mail now. Anyway, I bought this, thinking i would not get as good of a picture/resolution than using an lcd panel with an OHP, but thought, "what the hell, i'll go for it." So i was looking on ebay this morning at lcd panels for ohps, and found the the average resolution was 640x480 for the type that people making diy projectors use. Now the 5" screen I bought from parts express is 960x234. The screen is actually better. The only reason the horisonal res is less, is becuse LCD pannels you use for ohp setups have a longer horizontal screen size. In fact if you compare the two pictures, you will see a large difference in the horizontal size. So me theory is, that the 960x234 5" screen will indeed give you better resolution than a 640x480 oph lcd pannel. Does any one agree with me?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Actually the panel you bought is 320x234. The 960x234 resolution they give is counting ALL pixels on the screen. Since an active pixel is made from 3 pixels in a RGB pattern: one red, one green and one blue you have to divide that 960 by 3 giving you the real resolution: 320x240. So the panel you bought has 1/2 the resolution of the panels for OHP.

kthxbye

not only that, but you're comparing it to a low resolution panel, 640x480. There are several 1024x768 panels out there, and there's even a few 1280x1024 panels too. As far as I can tell, the main disadvantage to panels is the contrast ratio. The highest I've seen is 150:1 on the sharp qa-2500 while on a decent LCD monitor you're likely to get closer to 400:1, and on a decent LCD projector you can get MUCH MUCH higher, around 2000:1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.