Fan position

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High everyone, I'm slowly putting the finishing touches on my projector (which works very nicely, but needs a few details ironed out). First off, let me state that my projector runs at very low temps, even when it's on for 3 or so hours. I'm talking about to the point where my monitor is just warm to the touch (I just calibrated my thermometer a couple of days ago, so I couldn't say the exact temp, but...). In other words, cooling is not a problem, due to the fact that I've got a huge box, and heat can radiate everywhere.

However, I do have a question. Right now, I have my cooling set up with one fan. The fan is in the upper corner of my box, directly above the ballast, capacitor, igniter, et cetera. However, I (possibly erroneously) assumed that I should cool off the lamp instead of the ballast, and thus I diverted the air flow in a way, using aluminum sheets, so that all air passes over the lamp, thus cooling it, before exiting the box. You can see all this in the attached file.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What I want to know is:
a. will cooling my lamp like this damage it or make it less bright (as it never gets as hot as it normally would)
b. should I take off that metal "flashing", and either let the fan suck air out without any direction in regards to the lamp and ballast, redirect the airflow, to skip the lamp, and instead go over the ballast, or leave as is? Thanks so much for the help

what I´ve been reading lately is that lamps needs to be heat up...(needs NOT to be cooling freakingly)
so the best choice for lamps is a fan whichs takes the hot air around the lamp, creating a circuit between the intake and the fan

But the LCD is prefered to have a fan which blows fresh outter air to the screen and then leave peacefully heated.

So, I cannot asure that cooling your lamp will reduce their life, but cooling by blowing it will reduce lamplife

But if the ballast and the lamp has a nice airflow between em, there wouldn´t be any problem

here

Attachments

• µ÷Õû´óС 100_3186.jpg
    µ÷Õû´óС 100_3186.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.