Sim Racing Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First time poster and new to the DIY projector project...go easy on me.

Most if not all the projects here are for watching movies and doing so on fairly large screens. Recently, I got hooked on pc sim racing and I'm in the process of building a cockpit to mount wheels, pedals and seat to. I'd be interested in finishing the pit project with a decent projector setup. Since it would be dedicated to my sim racer, I'd like to integrate it into the design. The screen wouldn't have to be that big...say 27"/32" and right in front of me. Something like this:

http://www.force-dynamics.com/

My 19" Proview CRT rocks but I'm looking to enhance my simulation experience with a nice, clear, wide screen at a resonable price (LCD's are out of my reach due to cost) and a small footprint so that it can be integrated nicely onto the sim chassis. I appreciate anyones input on the matter!

First of all..your crazy, good luck with that project. I cant wait to see it when its done. Second, if you want to make a projector, you are going to have to put down the few hundred for the wide screen lcd you are looking at. Like everyone else says around here, check eBay for backlight dead lcds. With an lcd with a dead backlight you can save money on something you are going to be throwing out anyways. I wouldent even try using a lens infrount of a crt, we have all tried it, and have all found out that it doesent work for a nice picture. Hope you look around for the lcd for what you need and go allong with this great project.

Good luck, Rob

The cockpit is done. I ended up doing a PVC build due to cost and lack of space in my house. Waiting to get it sprayed at a friends body shop this week.

After researching, I might end up doing an OHP setup right behind the racing seat with the lens just creeping out above the headrest and some type of material for the screen right in front of the steering wheel. I want to bend the screen a bit so it's a concave for a nice look while driving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.