Hey Everybody!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, whats up? I've just found out about the DIY projectors earlier today, I've pretty much spent the last 10 hours reading on them, totally fasinating to me.

I originally wanted a Store Baught projector but was increadibly turned off by the price (1000+ on ebay for an LCD or DLP HDTV) and added ontop of that annual bulb replacements, I really didnt want to be worried about when my bulb was going to die.

I'm pretty technologically savy, I try to read as much as I can :) I've built multiple computers, including my new rig, Not the absolute most powerful, but doesnt seem to lag much :)

I have been very curious though about what type of DIY Display I wanted, I orginally thought OHD due to its simplicity, but can't really find any Panels that'll do 720p, High Definition is increadibly important to me, I would really like to play my Xbox 360 on it.

I'm going to have a budget of around 500 dollars to spend, its going to be a pretty dark room, and I'll be purchasing a Canvas to put the display on.

I really like superdaveumo's display, it looks increadibly detailed and nice, I was wondering how I would go about purchasing parts for one, HDTV is pretty important to me since it's pretty much going to be incorporated in the upcomming gamming systems, I'd like as sharp as an image as I can get, And I figured you guys would know best thanks!

yer going to have to build a box and use a stripped lcd monitor to get the picture you want $500 should do this very easy.... but here is one question for you ... do you plan on runnig this projector with youre computer ? or is it gunna be more for movies/ xbox youre gunna have to shell out some more cash for a VGA converter to use the xbox .my ballast cost me $45.00 with shipping off of ebay my bulb cost $38.00 plus shipping
youre lense can range from 30 - hell of alot youre lcd panel is kind of up to you. the problem yall have is finding a monitor with the specs you want + haveing it be strippable + the price. now with a $ 500 budget you should be fine. just do youre research.

Thanks for the complements!

Well, there are two options for HDTV right now: a 17" LCD (1280x1024) or a 15.4" Widescreen LCD (1280x800 I believe). The problem with the 17" is it's hard to get the projection lens to focus on the entire screen. The problem with a 15.4" LCD is it doesn't support (last I heard) 1280x720 so it just comes up blank. Hence I went with the 17".

You can go with an 18" FL opaque lens like I did and deal with the slightly blurred corners or you can get a 22" FL opaque projection lens (which with the same throw will give you a smaller picture) that should have a crisp picture all the way across or you can go for the 500mm FL Pro lens at LL (but that costs $200 alone!). So, with the budget in mind, the opaque lenses seem to be you best bet.

I spent about $600 on my projector (not screen or stand). So, if you were a little better about prices, you could do better. Just keep an eye out on e-bay. Oh, you can get a component to DVI converter on e-bay for about $15. So, make sure you find an LCD with DVI input. Plus, you can get an HDMI to DVI converter (which I've done) and run a HD receiver into your projector.

Good luck with the projector!

Yeah, I really don't mind stepping with slightly blurred edges, Right now I have a 4:3 Sammy HDTV, I hate how in Widescreen I only get a 24 Inch Picture, I like it, but I wish I hadn't made the mistake of picking up a 4:3 TV.

I'm only 22, but I've always dreamed of owning a projector, nothing would seem to thrill me more then playing A Game on such a big and sharp screen, I'm very very excited to get into this, it seems completely up my ally.

I've always wanted A projector, but have been SERIOUSLY turned off by the size and lifetime of the bulbs, I mean light has been around since the early 1900's its not exactly a new technology, yet to charge upwards of 600 dollars for a 2000 hour lamp its outragous.

I congratulate and look up to all of you who have already completed working units, too me its an awsome feat and can't wait to be one of you :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.