If I only had a Brain! - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2005, 08:48 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default keep the PIC running

Yes, you do have to keep the PIC powered all the time, so it can shutdown the fan after the cooldown period. But this also gives you some nice functionality like timed startup & shutdown. (And how about a 24/7 fire alarm?) The only problem with adding lots of features, is that you will need a keypad and display to control them all.

Instead of a keypad, you could get one of those IR decoders so you could use a remote control. On-screen output is much more difficult. You could do it with a video generator chip (like an old 6845), or you could MUX PIC I/O pins into the RGB analog signals and bit-bang the video on the fly. If the PIC is not fast/stabile enough to do that, you might need to add a one line shift register.

On the other hand, everything has on-screen programming now. Some big 7 segment LEDs would look pretty retro!
Old 8th August 2005, 01:58 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Re: keep the PIC running

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Grotke
Yes, you do have to keep the PIC powered all the time, so it can shutdown the fan after the cooldown period. But this also gives you some nice functionality like timed startup & shutdown. (And how about a 24/7 fire alarm?) The only problem with adding lots of features, is that you will need a keypad and display to control them all.

Instead of a keypad, you could get one of those IR decoders so you could use a remote control. On-screen output is much more difficult. You could do it with a video generator chip (like an old 6845), or you could MUX PIC I/O pins into the RGB analog signals and bit-bang the video on the fly. If the PIC is not fast/stabile enough to do that, you might need to add a one line shift register.

On the other hand, everything has on-screen programming now. Some big 7 segment LEDs would look pretty retro!

Yeah I would definitely not want to go the full blown keypad route... but a character based LCD display for status/etc would be cool (Ive got about 10 of those lying around here and they are really easy to control with a PIC)... I think that most functions could be set with just a few buttons instead of a whole alpha numeric keypad being required. What would also be nice would be to incorporate a serial interface for those folks with PCs driving their projectors, they could plug the serial interface into their PC port and get/set parameters serially/display it on screen.... or whatever.
Old 8th August 2005, 05:35 PM   #33
cbm5 is offline cbm5  United States
diyAudio Member

My most recent microcontroller projects involved USB-controlled devices...that would be one way to incorporate an HTPC, especially since serial ports are getting difficult to find.
Old 8th August 2005, 07:35 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Found this to possibly handle the fan control...

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...c/DS21835B.pdf

Seems like it should work... its even designed for use in projectors!
Old 9th August 2005, 05:45 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to nick[x1]
Cool idea, i wanted to do this with mine (along similar lines) but in the end I decided just to have a remote function.

So if you incorparated a remote control into it then it would be perfect for diy projectors
Old 9th August 2005, 08:15 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nick[x1]
Cool idea, i wanted to do this with mine (along similar lines) but in the end I decided just to have a remote function.

So if you incorparated a remote control into it then it would be perfect for diy projectors
Yeah its like once you get started... everything starts coming to mind...

Ive started off with just the one basic thing that really annoys me... falling asleep with the PJ on/leaving the house with it on... At first its going to be really simple... If it doesnt detect any motion in the room after the set timeout... it will sound a beep... if 10 minutes after the beep it still detects no motion it goes through the shutdown process (turn off lamp/lcd/let fans run for a minute or two, then shut them down as well) Ill start out with a simple wired design then maybe move to wireless so the motion sensor could be placed away from the PJ if necessary...

Next Ill add some monitoring and fault detection.... bulb usage time/fans/temp/smoke/etc
Old 9th August 2005, 09:08 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to nick[x1]
That would be cool
I always worry about falling asleep while its on
Old 10th August 2005, 01:15 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nick[x1]
That would be cool
I always worry about falling asleep while its on
Yeah... thats the one LUXURY us DIYers have over the commercial projector owners!

They would NEVER fall asleep with the PJ on with THAT expensive bulb burning!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Oh... BTW...

I need to take my time on this one... Ive got my Development Environment in place, however, I need to take some time to think about the algorithm for the timeout. It isnt as easy as it seems to get it right.
Old 19th August 2005, 01:53 AM   #39
tjh is offline tjh  United States
diyAudio Member

Saw this earlier today and figured it was worth a mention. http://www.imagesco.com/articles/hm2...utorial01.html That would definitely be a cool feature to add Maybe a bit pricey, but it could turn on and off 9 other devices.. VCR, Receiver etc. which would be nice.
Old 19th August 2005, 07:26 PM   #40
scanboy is offline scanboy  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to scanboy
Luca Brazzi,

it's off your topic in this thread, but do you mind sharing the model # and your placement, in reference to you lamp's arc, of your IKEA Napkin Ring reflector?
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!