If I only had a Brain!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another option might be to use a photoresistor. Place the photoresistor on one side of the fan and a focused light source on the other (a laser pointer perhaps?). The resistor would be MUCH easier to work with than the IR. My only concern would be if the photoresistor could change resistances that quickly... Hmmmmm...

Perhaps a prewired IR switch. Can't be that expensive. IR is a pain in the butt.

It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to JUST USE FANS WITH SENSE WIRES.

Or go to the root of the problem: you don't want overheating? Use temperature and forget about the fans. I should already have a few Dallas or Maxim samples lying around, 1-wire interface thermometers etc.

root problem

I agree with cbm5: It doesn't much help you to know your fan is spinning, if your LCD is still running too hot. Rather than bother with fan RPM sensing, just implement 3 or 4 temperature sensors. The 1-wire sensors are very cheap & easy to use with a microcontroller. Using a bus interface would mean that people could add the right number of sensors for their projector design.

Then give it some PWM outputs for driving MOSFETS that can control 2 or 3 12 VDC fans. If a temp gets too high, it would be able to increase the fan speed. If that fails to cut the temperature, then you get a shutdown & alarm.

There are some nice optoisolated solid state "relays" (really triacs) that you would use to control power to the lamp circuit.

If you do want to use PWM to control a DC fan, then it is a lot easier with a microcontroller that has hardware PWM generation. Doing it well in software can be a pain, if you are trying to do other stuff as well.

Just monitor the heat comming from the fan with a thermister.

The thing I like about measuring a light source (IR/etc) is that it can be used for 2 purposes... First it can be used to determine if the fan is moving/stuck... and it can be used as the input to the fan speed control logic (frequency of the pulses from the detector=fan speed).

From what Ive read around here... and what Ive noticed on my own 4 fan projector, it would be beneficial to lower the speed of the fans as low as possible to reduce noise.

I agree with cbm5: It doesn't much help you to know your fan is spinning, if your LCD is still running too hot. Rather than bother with fan RPM sensing, just implement 3 or 4 temperature sensors

True... the ultimate goal is to protect the LCD from overheating, so yes temp sensing is definitely important. The fan speed sensing thing would be mainly for alarming you that there is a problem with your projector... Ive seen many PJ designs where folks completely embed fans inside the PJ where they cant be seen. Even on my PJ... where the fans are visible from the outside... Id like to be alerted in some way if one of them stopped spinning/never started spinning/etc even if it doesnt result in my PJ going into a meltdown situation.

IMO a fan problem could be treated 1 of 2 ways by the controller... A) Cause the PJ to shut down... or B) Cause a warning alarm to go off to alert you that there is a problem but not cause the PJ to shut down, and.... it could be different from fan to fan in the same PJ design... So what Im thinking is that how each fan is handled by the controller should be selectable for each fan. For example... in my PJ I have 3 fans blowing in, and 1 fan sucking air out... I would want to be able to tell the controller (if one of the 3 input fans stops working... no problem just warn me... but if the exhaust fan stops working, shut down the PJ)

If you do want to use PWM to control a DC fan, then it is a lot easier with a microcontroller that has hardware PWM generation. Doing it well in software can be a pain, if you are trying to do other stuff as well.

Either that, or there would need to be external circuitry to do the PWM.... Basically I would just want the Main controller to tell the external PWM circuitry/controller what the current setting should be for that device, then leave the actual PWM signal generation to the external controller.

Ive got another question for the board...

If you had the option for an "Auto Shutdown after a Timeout" mechanism for your projector that was reset by "Human Motion in your Theatre", would you rather have the timeout fixed, or programmable?

For example would a 3 hour timeout with no motion be fine or... would you rather have the ability to adjust it to 2 or 4 hours or whatever you wanted it to be? I think that the shorter the time limit with no motion the better, but I also dont want to have to constantly be waving my arm/etc to keep my projector running :)

cbm5 said:
Use Dallas real-time clock module and have the projector shut down automatically as a certain time every night...why not have it turn on automatically 10 minutes before you get home so the MH bulb is all warmed up? ;)

Good suggestions.

I think what I will do is this...

In Version 1 I want some basic functionality

That being...

Shut the PJ off if there is no motion in the room after 3 hours.

What I want it to do is alert me via a low volume Buzzer 10 minutes before the timeout expires.

If I dont reset the timer (by moving) the PJ will shut down.

The circuitry should be simple.... a PIC Micro Controller, a Motion detector, a Buzzer, a Relay, and a switch

The problem is that in order to do this, the PIC needs to be the power control for the system...so I need to put the PIC inline on the AC power control (thats what the Relay is for) So... instead of me flipping an AC power switch to turn on the PJ I will push a button connected to the PIC and the PIC will energize the relay and turn on the AC power.

BTW... Ive come up with a name for this whole project... I call it the "P-Brain"

Ive setup a development Environment to build it... starting with the original function (shutdown the PJ after 3 hours if there is no motion in the room)

keep the PIC running

Yes, you do have to keep the PIC powered all the time, so it can shutdown the fan after the cooldown period. But this also gives you some nice functionality like timed startup & shutdown. (And how about a 24/7 fire alarm?) The only problem with adding lots of features, is that you will need a keypad and display to control them all.

Instead of a keypad, you could get one of those IR decoders so you could use a remote control. On-screen output is much more difficult. You could do it with a video generator chip (like an old 6845), or you could MUX PIC I/O pins into the RGB analog signals and bit-bang the video on the fly. If the PIC is not fast/stabile enough to do that, you might need to add a one line shift register.

On the other hand, everything has on-screen programming now. Some big 7 segment LEDs would look pretty retro!

Re: keep the PIC running

Guy Grotke said:
Yes, you do have to keep the PIC powered all the time, so it can shutdown the fan after the cooldown period. But this also gives you some nice functionality like timed startup & shutdown. (And how about a 24/7 fire alarm?) The only problem with adding lots of features, is that you will need a keypad and display to control them all.

Instead of a keypad, you could get one of those IR decoders so you could use a remote control. On-screen output is much more difficult. You could do it with a video generator chip (like an old 6845), or you could MUX PIC I/O pins into the RGB analog signals and bit-bang the video on the fly. If the PIC is not fast/stabile enough to do that, you might need to add a one line shift register.

On the other hand, everything has on-screen programming now. Some big 7 segment LEDs would look pretty retro!

Yeah I would definitely not want to go the full blown keypad route... but a character based LCD display for status/etc would be cool (Ive got about 10 of those lying around here and they are really easy to control with a PIC)... I think that most functions could be set with just a few buttons instead of a whole alpha numeric keypad being required. What would also be nice would be to incorporate a serial interface for those folks with PCs driving their projectors, they could plug the serial interface into their PC port and get/set parameters serially/display it on screen.... or whatever.

nick[x1] said:
Cool idea, i wanted to do this with mine (along similar lines) but in the end I decided just to have a remote function.

So if you incorparated a remote control into it then it would be perfect for diy projectors :)

Yeah its like once you get started... everything starts coming to mind...

Ive started off with just the one basic thing that really annoys me... falling asleep with the PJ on/leaving the house with it on... At first its going to be really simple... If it doesnt detect any motion in the room after the set timeout... it will sound a beep... if 10 minutes after the beep it still detects no motion it goes through the shutdown process (turn off lamp/lcd/let fans run for a minute or two, then shut them down as well) Ill start out with a simple wired design then maybe move to wireless so the motion sensor could be placed away from the PJ if necessary...

Next Ill add some monitoring and fault detection.... bulb usage time/fans/temp/smoke/etc

nick[x1] said:
That would be cool :)
I always worry about falling asleep while its on

Yeah... thats the one LUXURY us DIYers have over the commercial projector owners!

They would NEVER fall asleep with the PJ on with THAT expensive bulb burning!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Oh... BTW...

I need to take my time on this one... Ive got my Development Environment in place, however, I need to take some time to think about the algorithm for the timeout. It isnt as easy as it seems to get it right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.