projector up and running

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all okay finally got my projector project about finished, first off loa lights not good enough, i thought they would be after using them for a few days i realized you get not enough light for projecting at least not compared to 300watt cal bulb i am using now, okay here are first pics i have of project 1. the design

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 892
parts okay i used two page magnifiers from office depot back to back and attached to back of lcd panel which is a spectra c panel 640x480. in front of lcd i have a lens or magnifing lens out of a lighted magnifier about 4 to 5inchs in size, the light source is a old ducane slide projector bulb and power supply it is a 300 watt bulb with a built in reflector very bright , i mounted it in a ceiling light can and cut out rear of can to mount fan to cool light,here is parts pics first mounted lcd

Attachments

• dsc_007.jpg
    dsc_007.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 878
okay i am using a old ducane slide projector bulb and power supply the bulb is a 300 watt cal bulb with a small reflector in the center which helps point the light, only problem i have with it is only 30 hr life. so i am ordering a 500 watt dah bulb to take it's place more power and 200 hr life for 15.00 bucks here is a pic of the bulb both bulbs look similiar for you to compare

Attachments

• dah1.jpg
    dah1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 865
now for the bad i am using a very cheap camera to take pics with and it will not take a pic in the dark so i can't show you any screen pics yet but wait i will post some in a few days if nopt sooner, i am getting about a 8 to 10 foot screen with very nice res clear and crisp so thanks for all your help and advice on here any questions feel free to ask

LCD projector

Hi, I'm building almost the same projector as you, down to the identical Spectra C. I'm using some guts out of a an old Kodak slide projector, mainly the bulb and socket, and projector lens. How did you figure out the distances between all the parts, or does it really matter. I guess the light source should cover the whole panel area. Oh, and why did you use two magnifier panels instead of just one?
:xeye:

hi lighting let me see if i can answer your questions. first the distances are trial and error i am still looking for the optimum distance for the light source to fresnel as i have areas that are not perfectly bright a little shadow in the corners , and as for the two fresnels one grabs all the light and the other focus's it into the panel works like a charm. just watchout for the heat of the bulbs.but a good starting area is to put it together on a small work bench and just move your light source and lens around to get the best pic for you .hope this helps some

Dont know. With two fresnels my projector gets a hot spot in the middle and more light loss aswell overall. Plus the edges look dimmer. I run only one fres right up against the panel and it looks evenly light and very bright.
chukie1- try this once to compare. Remove the one fres and look. then put it back, see it should have gotten dimmer as fres cause light loss. The more fres the more light loss. Also your edges being dark is cause you are Over concentraiting the light making a beam in the center brighter than edges. So one fres beoifre panel should work better, it does for me. You can also try using one after the panel to bring the light into the objective lense better. But that also caused a dimmer image for me.:D

Attachments

• light rays.jpg
    light rays.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 632
cool tinker i will give that a try , right now i am happy with the results my shadows on the edges was the light source not back far enough so i have fixed that , but i will give your idea a try see what comes of it . thanks , p.s. just redid my screen made a nice frame for it and hung it from the ceiling , i will be swinging it up out of the way when not in use.
i like it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.