I got my new lamp. It is for commercial projection use. people use it to replace the - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2006, 12:00 AM   #521
diyAudio Member

throwit, does this mean you've already got one working with the bypass?

I can't forsee any problems with running a PJ without a ballast. Many projectors run the main power supply constantly, and when the ballast is turned off, it shouldn't draw much current anyway so it should be almost as good as disconnected when off (in most cases).

I just tried my Philips ballast while shorting the "C E" pins of both of the other optos, but the lamp still just powers on for a few seconds before turning off again. I have an idea this ballast is faulty anyway, as I do remember swapping it for the ballast in another Sanyo at one point.

No matter, I'm not too interested in the Sanyo as I'm gonna sell it on as faulty, so this was just a quick experiment for future reference with the Phillips ballast.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:05 AM   #522
throwit is offline throwit  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

no, not with the bypass, just previous experiments running the projector without a lamp

i have a 240 and a 250, the 240 was my first pj, and the 250 is my main machine whilst i get the 240 sorted, then i can swap the best bits (led lamp and 1024x768 lcds into one machine)

if you think it might be compatible with your sanyo, you could have the 150w psu/ballast the day after my test if you like

Old 29th June 2006, 12:15 AM   #523
diyAudio Member

The ballast would be for my Proxima DS1, or for when I get a better PJ off eBay (XGA DLP would be nice)

I'm selling the Sanyo as "knackered". Shame though, as it's XGA, and the Proxima is only SVGA. I've really gone off buying LCD PJ's lately, as the blue panels are often burnt-in.

Anyway, good luck with your experiements.

OzOnE.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:35 AM   #524
diyAudio Member

thanks, i need all the luck i can get !

i thought i could stick pins in the two terminals (of the small white connector) and tape them together - as a non desctructive way to try this out

yeah, my lp250 was a "tested" ebay buy, arrived with cooked green polarisers...ggrrrrrrr !, so my one working pj was cobbled together using lp240 light channels and polarisers, lp240 ballast and lamp, and lp250 lcds and lens
Old 29th June 2006, 12:44 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

Crikey! Projector is now made by Frankenstien then

You could just stick wires in the connector (if they're thin enough), but be sure to use the correct pins, as I don't think the projector would like it's "A C" pins shorted!

I've also got an InFocus LP725 collecting dust here because the blue panel is fried. (big purple blur in the center of the image). I haven't seen anything I can use as a replacement for months, so I'll have to sell that one off too.

I wish someone knew where I could buy the LCD panels from. It's impossible to find any info on them, let alone actually buy them.

OzOnE.
Old 29th June 2006, 01:00 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

ah, did you say PURPLE ?

forgive my foolishness (and probable wrongness), but have you opened it up ?...i saw purple, and it was carbonisation of the green polariser blocking the green light, leaving the red and blue, equalling purple

yeah, those lcds are like flying saucer hubcaps !

but if i'm right, you need a polariser (forgive me if i'm way off, not borne of arrogance, just trying to help)

...thought the live pins would work well on my 'ex-boss' voodoo doll collection
Old 29th June 2006, 01:08 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

No, actually, it was probably a yellow blob. But sure enough, blue polarizer and panel both burnt. The green and red panels seem to be fine.

I think they're Sony panels LCX-blahblahblah, but there doesn't seem much point in trying to find where to buy them.

Also, another reason for me wanting DLP projectors, is I also want to watch proper 3D movies on the big screen using two projectors and polarizer sheets. I've got some glasses I pinched from the Shrek 4D show at Universal Studios LA! God, I am cheap.
Old 29th June 2006, 01:15 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Just realized, we're hijacking this thread a bit. I'll shut up now for a while!
Old 29th June 2006, 01:18 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

Yes, connecting together the first two wires (that start on the top of the board) would accomplish the same thing.

Seems to be the exact setup as OzOnE's post indicates (#513), except it seems it's the TOP of the board, not the bottom. (Guess it depends on POV, or how the board is installed.)

If you connect those two on the cable, you should be able to do away with the ballast completely.

regards,
MAJ
Old 29th June 2006, 01:18 AM   #530
diyAudio Member

aye, but this hijack has been almost entirely useful for those wanting to use ywhs' gear with an unhelpful projector !

hi MAJ, thanks for the advice over at proj-cent

i'll shut up now too

Hide this!Advertise here!