I got my new lamp. It is for commercial projection use. people use it to replace the - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2006, 07:28 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

ywh - what happens when you only use one signal on your Eballast? Does the lamp light, then go out again like my Philips ballast? What voltage do you send to your Eballast - 3.3V, 5V?
Old 28th June 2006, 07:39 PM   #512
throwit is offline throwit  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi ywh, you've helped so many of us, thank you so much !

OzOnE, please can you help me with overcoming the opto couplers in my infocus lp250 ?

...i have included a picture of the ballast/lamp psu, it looks near identical to your sanyo one, and it also has opto-doodads with the code "SFH6106-1" and the label on the ballast says "EUC 150 A/00"

could you be so kind as to help me if you can ?

i am planning to light my pj with leds

led - yes you can !

many grovelling thanks in advance !

matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lp250 psu-ballast.jpg (80.2 KB, 683 views)
Old 28th June 2006, 08:35 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Hi throwit,

Your ballast does look very similar to mine. It even looks like it uses the same chips (most definitely a Philips ballast). The pinout for the 5-pin connector on the Philips ballast from my Sanyo projector is as follows....

1.WHITE Collector of opto output
2.BLACK Emitter of opto output
3.BLACK Anode (shared)
4.BLACK Cathode of opto input 1
5.BLACK Cathode of opto input 2

If you're just trying to get your projector to stay on without the original ballast attached, you should be able to just short the first two pins on the cable. (I think this was the two opto contacts near the bottom of the "daughterboard".) Please check the connections to the optos first though, your ballast might be different to mine!

I'm very interested in the LED lamp thing, but I can't see how you'd ever get a bright enough picture. I would have thought anything decent would cost too much anyway?

OzOnE
Old 28th June 2006, 10:12 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

hi OzOnE

thanks for your reply !

yeah, bit dicey really, leds, but i think the solution is somewhere...you may get thread fatigue, but perhaps have a read of my avforums thread (in my signature) - if you join that forum you can see the various pics of some of my ideas

biggest hurdle had looked like what you've sussed out, after that's overcome, i can try a few things to see what i get, starting with a basic lamp switch from uhp to led/removing some of the uv/ir filtration possibly, rangeing through to possible direct lighting at each lcd, to give something like a 500 lumen projector

cost may be as little as 150 for dimmable led lamps, or as little as 30 for a decent basic led lamp, i need to try a few things out before being too confident on cost

if i get you right, it seems that i may be able to take out the lamp psu altogether (something i had always hoped would be the case), if so, i'm happy to send you my lamp psu if it'll help you with your sanyo ...are you saying that the small connector/wires can be spliced appropriately to negate need for lamp psu (if i'm running my leds independantly from pj itself) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg this board was under the lamp psu-ballast.jpg (95.1 KB, 676 views)
Old 28th June 2006, 10:16 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

...continued

the small black wired 5 pin connection in the above picture plugs into the small white socket on the picture below, no white wire unfortunately, but it does all look very similar to yours

here is a close up picture of the opto isolators

many thanks for any help you can give

matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg close up of opto isolators.jpg (83.3 KB, 715 views)
Old 28th June 2006, 11:11 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

throwit, the opto board on your InFocus is exactly the same as on my Philips ballast!

It should be easy peasy to get your projector to stay on without the original lamp ballast attached!.

I did read most of your previous posts on the other forums - Is this the same projector that you've wanted to remove the ballast from for ages?? Well, hopefully, this should help....

All you need to do is short the first two (top two) wires together which plug into the ballast. This MUST be the "lamp lit" signal to the projector, because you only have one opto pointing towards the connector (ie, to the projector mainboards). This should hopefully stop the projector from shutting down where it would normally have detected a lamp problem.

The other pins must be the "lamp on" and "sync" signals to the ballast. I should really try shorting both the other optos on my Philips ballast instead of one, it should stay on then. I'm selling the Sanyo PJ anyway though.

I've attached an edited photo of your ballast with the relavent pins highlighted in RED. To test this out (before cutting off any connectors!), just solder across the "C and E" pins of the top opto with a blob of solder or small piece of wire. You do NOT need to power your ballast btw!

If this works, and the projector stays on and behaves itself, you should be able to cut off the top two wires from the opto board and join them together. Then, just tape up the connector and remove the ballast!

I know the use of "C E" and "A C" is confusing, but I couldn't be bothered to draw the LED and phototransistor symbols!

Please note: some of you might have noticed that the "C and E" pins (Collector and Emitter) are swapped compared to the ballast in my previous posts - this is because the pinout actually differs between the optos. Here's the datasheet again for the SFH6106 optos....

http://www.vishay.com/docs/83666/83666.pdf

Regards,
OzOnE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lp250 philips ballast bypass.jpg (63.9 KB, 679 views)
Old 28th June 2006, 11:16 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Oh, almost forgot, @throwit, if you get your InFocus working without the ballast, and don't want it anymore, I'd gladly send you something for it via PayPal etc.

Please e-mail me if you don't want the ballast. (I'm assuming I've got an e-mail button!)

Cheers,
OzOnE.
Old 28th June 2006, 11:19 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

sure thing, if i don't need it (just so happens i have two - a 150 watt (lp250) one, and a 132 watt (lp240) one, if you're round launceston way, you could collect, but let me figure this out first !

thank you so much for your help

yes, it's the same pj i've been banging on about forever !

will let you know how it turns out as soon as possible

matt

*strange, I have an email button on this page but you don't
Old 28th June 2006, 11:32 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks matt, I've sorted email button now - I had "hide email" checked in my user cp.

I'm not in any hurry for a ballast, whenever you're sure you don't need one anymore.

Have fun with InFocus. Let me know if (when) it works.

What does it do if you disconnect the ballast atm? I'm guessing it spins the fans, then shuts down, yes?

OzOnE.

Edit: I want a proper smiley face damnit !
Old 28th June 2006, 11:45 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

don't have as much time as i'd like - too many piles of not done things !...but in the next few days i'll try it out, i plan to leave one pj going for a few hours without the ballast to see the longer term effects (which i hope will all be positive )

haven't had more than a few minutes of operation because of all these widgets...until next time !

i have a proper smiley face thanks to you

cheers mate

Hide this!Advertise here!