Lcd!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when ever i think about it, it always amazes me...why in the hell have no one found a good link for lcd's with controllers that are small very high res cheap and in a location where evryone can buy.

its not like building projectors is something new. yet no where have i seen any good links for the "perfect" lcd.

there was a very good group buy of wuxga kits but cost is like wow. something similar but smaller cheaper needs to be arranged. i am a poor uni student otherwise i would jump to the oppertunity to sort it out ;)

Megaman said:
I think that the lcd got no controller and would be useless for us without one. LVDS is a signaling standard for digital data transmissions and that is for the interface between the controller and the lcd.

some epia mini itx motherboards have an lvds output, I wonder if it would work? I'm imagining a small diy projector with a built in media pc

an insider's info

I think ywh does find the controller for this 6.3" XGA LCD screen. and it is not too expansive. but is more expensive than a 15" monitor.

He is going to check the LCD and controller out when he gets chance to visit the retailer. It is in another city, and not everyone in China has a car, yet.

from the specs. it is an excellent LCD: 500:1, 5ms(on), 21ms(on/off), and it is small! if there is no FFC issue, (and inexpensive) it would be perfect.

a group buy? anyone?

not everyone in China has a car, yet.

Good thing, they'd asphixiate from all the fumes. Wired magazine did a cool article on the hydrogen car in china. They may be further ahead by not having the big petro infrastructure to hold them back. Then we can buy their cheaper hydrogen cars. Ford and GM are toast when china joins japan making high quality cars. :dead:

Back to topic. LCDs are in the growth phase of the product cycle. They will be eveywhere cheap when they can standardize on 1080p. We get old waiting. :rolleyes:

dj_holmes said:
ya rox but....

smaller is better
no sacrifice in quality
brighter image
more efficient
less parts
smaller parts

I wish the world was like that but its not. The smaller things get and the more they improve it, the more it costs. Look at cell phones thats a great example how the smaller they are, the more you pay. And with LCD screens, most people want bigger, or best quality so the comapny's arent going to make them smaller and amazing resolution just for us DIY PJ people. I say a bunch of us open up our own company, steal the technology for these big company'd and make some crazy 5" LCD screens made specifically for DIY PJ's already stripped, no wires in the way... we would make a killing because there is a huge rise in the DIY scene and everyone would buy one. And you sell them for $200. Who's in?!?! :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
and make some crazy 5" LCD screens made specifically for DIY PJ's already stripped,

Still needs to be smaller, you need a 1inch or smaller in size lcd to get any decent efficentcy, then ofcourse with the extra light intensity at that size it wont last long, UV/IR filter or not.

With the ellipsidal reflectors i have here, even though they are dichoric and are run through an extra IR filter, they still ignite paper instantly at their focal...............heat is your worst battle on a lcd. The smaller you go, the more intense the IR and UV become, and thats why pro lcd projectors with 1inch and down lcd's dont last beyond 4k - 6k hrs. They use pro filters btw, not cheap backyard stuff.

If you guys are lost in what im on about, look up "Inverse Law"

Trev:)

Still needs to be smaller, you need a 1inch or smaller in size lcd to get any decent efficentcy

Efficiency in terms of what? light eveness? Small means highly precise parts, highly precise alignment. In other words industrial quality production and jigs. This is what the existing companies are counting on as barriers to entry for competition. Their rediculous prices are propped up by this. We dont try to beat them at their game we change the rules of the game to our terms. Larger, cheaper with commodity parts. That is the only way to bring the prices down to commodity levels.

There is no way I want to try to pass 11,000 lumens through a small lcd. I figure try to hit every sq inch with ~100 lumens.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
There is no way I want to try to pass 11,000 lumens through a small lcd. I figure try to hit every sq inch with ~100 lumens.

And just how are you going to push this light through a lcd of 19inches in size acuratley? Especially when you have restance on the angles of the polarisers.

Thought in running costs?

The cost in larger optics?

The differentionals in optics from heat and wear and tear?

The differentionals of outer lens magnifacation to center?

The extra heat a more powerful lamp will projuce in your house?

There are manny manny things to consider, not just 1

Trev:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.