Lcd!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2005, 07:40 AM   #11
Me2! is offline Me2!  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
not everyone in China has a car, yet.
Good thing, they'd asphixiate from all the fumes. Wired magazine did a cool article on the hydrogen car in china. They may be further ahead by not having the big petro infrastructure to hold them back. Then we can buy their cheaper hydrogen cars. Ford and GM are toast when china joins japan making high quality cars.

Back to topic. LCDs are in the growth phase of the product cycle. They will be eveywhere cheap when they can standardize on 1080p. We get old waiting.
Old 25th May 2005, 02:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

ya rox but....

smaller is better
no sacrifice in quality
brighter image
more efficient
less parts
smaller parts

i just finished producing 15" pj, images very soon. mission never again only 7 or my next pj 8" only.

but we need smaller better licd like the one in this topic
Old 25th May 2005, 06:26 AM   #13
juice_e is offline juice_e  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dj_holmes
ya rox but....

smaller is better
no sacrifice in quality
brighter image
more efficient
less parts
smaller parts

I wish the world was like that but its not. The smaller things get and the more they improve it, the more it costs. Look at cell phones thats a great example how the smaller they are, the more you pay. And with LCD screens, most people want bigger, or best quality so the comapny's arent going to make them smaller and amazing resolution just for us DIY PJ people. I say a bunch of us open up our own company, steal the technology for these big company'd and make some crazy 5" LCD screens made specifically for DIY PJ's already stripped, no wires in the way... we would make a killing because there is a huge rise in the DIY scene and everyone would buy one. And you sell them for $200. Who's in?!?!
Old 25th May 2005, 08:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'm with you bud. But I want mine 1280x1024 at least :P
Old 26th May 2005, 01:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

LETS GET ON THE SCENE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Old 26th May 2005, 03:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Quote:
and make some crazy 5" LCD screens made specifically for DIY PJ's already stripped,
Still needs to be smaller, you need a 1inch or smaller in size lcd to get any decent efficentcy, then ofcourse with the extra light intensity at that size it wont last long, UV/IR filter or not.

With the ellipsidal reflectors i have here, even though they are dichoric and are run through an extra IR filter, they still ignite paper instantly at their focal...............heat is your worst battle on a lcd. The smaller you go, the more intense the IR and UV become, and thats why pro lcd projectors with 1inch and down lcd's dont last beyond 4k - 6k hrs. They use pro filters btw, not cheap backyard stuff.

If you guys are lost in what im on about, look up "Inverse Law"

Trev
Old 26th May 2005, 05:30 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Still needs to be smaller, you need a 1inch or smaller in size lcd to get any decent efficentcy
Efficiency in terms of what? light eveness? Small means highly precise parts, highly precise alignment. In other words industrial quality production and jigs. This is what the existing companies are counting on as barriers to entry for competition. Their rediculous prices are propped up by this. We dont try to beat them at their game we change the rules of the game to our terms. Larger, cheaper with commodity parts. That is the only way to bring the prices down to commodity levels.

There is no way I want to try to pass 11,000 lumens through a small lcd. I figure try to hit every sq inch with ~100 lumens.
Old 27th May 2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Dazzzla is offline Dazzzla  Australia
diyAudio Member

I agree with you Me2! I look at it in terms of scale; anything that is small can be scaled up to a more reasonable size for diy.

DJ
Old 27th May 2005, 10:17 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is no way I want to try to pass 11,000 lumens through a small lcd. I figure try to hit every sq inch with ~100 lumens.
And just how are you going to push this light through a lcd of 19inches in size acuratley? Especially when you have restance on the angles of the polarisers.

Thought in running costs?

The cost in larger optics?

The differentionals in optics from heat and wear and tear?

The differentionals of outer lens magnifacation to center?

The extra heat a more powerful lamp will projuce in your house?

There are manny manny things to consider, not just 1

Trev
Old 27th May 2005, 10:18 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I look at it in terms of scale; anything that is small can be scaled up to a more reasonable size for diy.
Thats true, but everything has its limits for a given aplication..........going small or large.

Trev

Hide this!Advertise here!