3Dog Theater Now Open!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mitch....

Macrovsion is a copywrite projection system.....there have been discussions on this topic a while back on this forum and if you serach Macrovision you will find plunty of discriptions of it...but here is a very simplistic approach...(this is juat a generalization and not the real technical explanation but in laymens terms)

Imagine... I connect my dvd player directly to my Lcd panel via rca or svideo. Since my lcd player is older electronics it does not have the ability to control the "Extra macrovision signal sent out with the movie data" from the dvd player. Now think of that extra macrovision signal as a pulse that effects the brightness of the LCD Panel...and that every few seconds this pulse changes so the brightness changes on the LCD panel. If the LCD Panel could interpret the macrovision signal then it would stablilize the pulse so that the image would not get brighter or darker but stablize out and remain the same level.

In short macrovision is just a copywrite projection to try to stop people from copying dvd's / vhs.

-blockhead

Blockhead,
In a really far out guestimation, how far away would you say that you would have to set your projector away from the screen to get a 4'x3' image? Thats what size I want mine.
Since you have yours about 12-13 ft away and you can get a 8'x4' image, maybe theres some sort of formula here I can use...
I`m doing the exact same thing you are doing except I`m going the rear projection route. and I have less that 8' to work with. Think its possible?

Toodles!

ouuuuch!

Dam it,,,, why cant i get a decent panel in the UK!

ive been serching every where... and yours is the set i want, it looks great mate, enjoy the football, i will be envious of you next time i sit down to watch my 'ok but a bit blurry' 6foot image (ive gone the tv in a box with a fresnel lens way [www.diyprojectiontv.tk] as that is the best i can ge tin the UK at the mo))!

dam it i want a cinema like yours, i reckon the only thing will be to get a US mate to buy one off ebay, then send it over...

good luck with yours, and cheers for the images, very enlightening

Liam

maybe...

yeah, all the sellers off ebay that i have approached, either never get back (even tho they say they will ship world wide) or want to go for a very expensive shiping option, and seem tobe adding bits on all over the place..

ie... I'll have to add more for packing, postage will be so much, and you will have to take the extra insurance... and all sorts of other excuses that mean they end up tying to add around £70 to £100 to the end price! for one auction that ended (not my bid) for $56 the seller had quoted me $120 for postage NOT INCLUDING PACKING!

Dam ebayers!

I know for a fact that it would cost around £30 tops to post smething this size and weight from the UK to USA insured.

anyway, thas my rant over... i've now managed to get a list of UK AV rental Companys, and IT rentals so im going to ring around them and see what i can do...
If i can get any good bulk deals I'll post here if anyone (from anywhere!) wants in. Will probalby be looking for stock that is atleast four years old to kepp the costs down.

Laters...

Liam

I hate to say it but I'm going to copy your exact design. I plan on buying the buhl 2900 and the nview spectra c panel. I like the idea of knowing what I'm going to get. Thanks for posting all your information for us to see. It's inspired me to put together a cheap OHP setup. Just a few extra questions if you don't mind since pictures aren't always completely accurate. Could you comment on black levels, contrast, color and maybe screen door effect? Also have you tried a smaller screen size to see if you get a nicer picture? (Not that yours doesn't look great for the cost) Any more info you can provide would be fantastic. You've done a great job with your setup.

Color and contrast.....

I guess before I begin let me cover how I do my color adjustments....

(1) I have my dvd player setting to lighter color (panasonic rv-32) I never change this setting

(2) then I set my nview spectra c panel to a desired color which is not much different from the default setting

(3) then for fine tuning of contrast/brightness/hue I use the remote to my tv-3000 (this I do change some from movie to movie or to television)

Basically I use the tv-300 as my fine tune control of my picture and leave dvd and nview alone.....so on some movies I might need to darken it some or some I might need to lighten it some...nothing drastic...

As for screen door effect....From where I sit it is not a problem at all...now if you walk up to the screen ...the closer you get the worse it gets with the pixels ....but to be honest at 10 - 13 feet it is not a problem on my screen...

I will say that I do put a piece of cardboard over the panel at the top and bottom where the black bars are in the movie(letter boxes). I read someone here was doing that for their movies and I tried it and it helps in the overall look of the movie on a screen.

Yeah contrast and color were things I was wondering about as well...and I will say that it is very very watchable...I have had at least 20 different people over to watch movies or football games and every one of them have said man this is AWSOME....now these people are not video critics but people who enjoy a good movie or game on a big screen....

I would guess that maybe you could get a better picture with a smaller image on the screen...but I do not think that it would be as much of a change that I would want a smaller screen size...my goal was 8 foot wide and watchable....If my room was smaller and I had to sit closer than 10 feet than I would advise a smaller screen.

The only thing I would advise you about is trying to find an overhead that is not halogen like mine...puts out tremendous heat....if you can find an over head with metal hal. lamp with more than 5,000 lumens then get it....

-blockhead

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond back. I think you've done a wonderful job. I wish i had a room I could dedicate hometheater too. Right now the hardest part is finding a way to fit an OHP in a regular living-room. I can't wait to see what kind of picture I can tweak out of these cheap components. I believe my HTPC will help in the finetuning of color, and contrast. My goal is to have this ready for the Super Bowl. And if your picture is any indication of the quality of a football game, I'll be in heaven :)

Excellent job! I've only been lurking on the forum for a few days and I registered today just to reply to your posting. I have a finished basement with a similar unused space that is 12x11 which contains a 36" TV and the surround system. I've designed a whole theater room similar to yours and I've been researching all the various ways to build a projection system w/o spending $10k. I had recently decided to purchase the exact same NView system and an overhead projector. I didn't know about the TV300, but I'm going to order one tonight or tomorrow. I've got to get a screen and an appropriate OH projector. Is it possible to buy an OH Projector such as a 3M4900 which has 4300 lumens and upgrade the light output?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff..

I'm sorry I'm not in the loop on modifing over head projectors....This is why I went looking for one that had high lummens...the one I have has 5,500 lummens (However is halogen lamp and puts out alot of heat...so if you can find a projector with metal halide lamp go for it)....

Hey as a side note I wanted to try something this weekend and I placed my overhead in my living room which is 40 feet long by 20 feet wide. I put my OVH way back from the wall around 35 feet back and I had a screen shot of around 20 feet by 20 feet (I have a high cathedral ceiling)...OMG I couldn't belive it would shoot an image that far! And it was watchable. (My wife imediatley said NO!) lolololololol......But I'm thinking Super Bowl Party! lololol now if I can come up with a screen that big...then for special events I will bring my ovh out from my theater and play it in my living room.

-Blockhead

Dish connect to tv-3000...

Um....the tv-3000 has a cable input like in the back of you vcr (Coax) This is what I run my cable to...(it also has s-video, rca inputs as well) I'm not familiar how the dish network works...meaning dish runs cable to box and box to tv....the box to tv is that a coax or s-video or rca....and really I do not know if it would change the channels.....sorry man I just don't know....

-Blockhead

TV-3000 connections

Blockhead,
Sorry for all the questions...My TV-3000 when connected to the Spectra C doesn't work. I should probably say that the Spectra C doesn't. I can use the source 3 plug directly into the DVD player and all is great. However, when I try to use the TV3000, I get nothing. I know it works because I used a VGA connection into a monitor. I assume you're using the VGA line that came with the unit? If so, which source are you using on the Spectra C? I'm wondering if my Spectra has some bad plugs.
Thanks,
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.