DSCALER Video enhancer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently played with dscaler video enhancer for pc. It's a pretty cool opensource line doubler. It enhances the quality and the resolution of the video input immensly. Nifty calibration features too. Aspect ratio settings also with a bit of tweaking I figured out how to take a letterbox movie and convert into a 4:3 ratio real-time. This is an awsome program for projection panels.
Requires a fairly fast computer 500mhz and a tv tuner card. Take a look at www.dscaler.com

Take pictures

You can also take snapshots by pressing the button "L"

It is instant, and the captured video looks exactly like the original.

It works much better than the software that comes with the card.

I just need something that can capture full motion video and encode it into the DivX format in real time.

Will adobe premiere do this?

I am having software problems. I cannot use the software that came with my TV card or assymetrix digital video producer to watch TV or capture video. I get the same error: "Invalid page fault"

DScaler is the only program that is able to access my TV card at the moment. (IT is a STB systems, 'Desktop TV'

-------------------------------------------

Re: Take pictures

this is totally the WRONG forum for this. goto doom9.org or someplace else. you can email me too. but this is not a computer tech place :)

Justinjay said:
You can also take snapshots by pressing the button "L"

It is instant, and the captured video looks exactly like the original.

It works much better than the software that comes with the card.

I just need something that can capture full motion video and encode it into the DivX format in real time.

Will adobe premiere do this?

I am having software problems. I cannot use the software that came with my TV card or assymetrix digital video producer to watch TV or capture video. I get the same error: "Invalid page fault"

DScaler is the only program that is able to access my TV card at the moment. (IT is a STB systems, 'Desktop TV'

-------------------------------------------

This is the correct forum for this......its perfect for anyone running a HTPC for their projector....a lot of people have vga only panels and dscaler is perfect......great place to learn about it is on the avs forum, lots of people over there use it to perfect their images

you misread what i said...

i personally have a HTPC, which i use with my projector... and, i use dscaler. (for about 1/2 a year now) this forum is PERFECT for that :) im talking about the guy asking for computer help of hot to convert tv shows into divx. that is NOT the intention of this forum.

i could help him out, just not here.

eebasist said:
This is the correct forum for this......its perfect for anyone running a HTPC for their projector....a lot of people have vga only panels and dscaler is perfect......great place to learn about it is on the avs forum, lots of people over there use it to perfect their images

geez...

i was just trying to help out without cluttering the thread. i didnt mean for it to come off like a powertrip like your post did, i was just suggesting i help him outside the forum, becuase encoding into divx is actually illegal. (even if you own the source, the codec is a hack.)

i was being polite to the forum becuase i assumed it wouldnt want this discussion in here, especially with all the threadjacking and such.

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Don't assume anything to do with DIYAUDIO. We can handle threadjacking perfectly well without your help.

The man was trying to gain some information and you told him to go somewhere else. Our policy is to try and help people not send them away. Read the policy guidelines.

New commers come here to learn not to be given a hard time.

Would you like to be told to go somewhere else.

We can easily arrange that.

i would first like to say this will be my last post on the matter, so if you feel like responding, it would probably be best to respond to my email, since i wont continute with this thread.

sure, i sent him away, but i offered to help. and its like like i kicked him to the curb, i sent him to a site which would help him more adequately than this one could.

i dont think i gave him a hard time at all. i just wish people would stop treating a website like its a country with its own set of rules and guidelines.

hell, no one else helped him at all, but me, who told him its probably not too appropriate to discuss illegal matters in here, but he could email me directly, gets "disciplined"? haha, funny stuff. you play the role of the omnipotent despot to this withering community well.

oh, about your last comment... if you really feel it necessary to BAN me from this site because i went about helping someone in the wrong manner, by all means, ban me. i wouldnt want to be a part of something that made such absurd decisions anyway. you guys need to lay of the coffee or something, its way to uptight in here.

Look up ShowShifter. ShowShifter can use dScaler but only if dScaler uses DirectShow. It has a remote control feature if you need to control ShowShifter far away like a video projector setup.

Justinjay, if you have any questions e-mail me at electrojmu at hotmail dot com

cowanrg said:
dont worry about it. im the redheaded stepchild of this forum, no one likes me.

do you still need help? i have over 300 movies encoded in divx, so i can most likely help you out.

Cowanrg
Lol you aren't the redheaded stepchild of this forum. You have posted lots of important info and helped lots of people out. If people didn't like you they wouldn't of visited your website.

ALL
Doesn't the newest version of dscaler support timeshifting and recording ?

hehe, thanks. its nice when i get a compliment now and again.

oh, and i AM the redheaded stepchild... you dont see all the daily emails from the admins telling me i need to "behave".

as far as recording and timeshift, yes, these features are in the newest version, but are still "experimental". and these guys actually mean that too... the logo killer was experimental, and it barely worked, so i wouldnt be too surprised if its not fully functional. (not saying its a bad thing, just saying they mean what they say...)

take care.

I did quite a bit more tweaking with dscaler last night. Watched several hours of various movies. Found something really cool that is awsome for projectors. It's a filter inside dscaler called the gamma filter. While it's cool without any tweaking done to it. If you go into the options of it and change the black levels,white levels, until it looks correct. I have found this is a lot better then using the contrast button on my panel. My contrast on my panel either has really dark scenes when contrast is low or really washed out scenes when contrast is high. Gamma filter helps stabilize the brightness.

gamma!

YES! the gamma filter would be a fanstastic plus to any projector setup. I have been looking into the easiest way to do this for ages. My setup definitely needs gamma correction, best I can do now is continually adjust brightness/contrast settings depending on the scene. I new dscaler supported gamma curves, but it needs a tv tuner card to function, even if you already have a video in or WDM driver. I have composite video capture and video out built in to my video card, but can't adjust gamma. I know it is possible to use a special software DirectShow filter to do it, but I don't want to go to the lengths of programming anything, and I can't find any net stuff to help there.
I have been looking around trying to find a simple gamma correction circuit, fairly unsuccesfully. Seems adjusting the gamma of a composite signal is complicated, needs to be RGB, and so you need to duplicate a reasonably fancy circuit three times... Philips used to make a chip that just did that and nothing much else, but they discontinued it.
Right now I am thinking I will buy a tv tuner card just so I can use dscaler, I think they are not too much now.

Yeah Powerstrip is a great product for supporting multiple video cards, and I had thought of projector applications for that. For instance, grab an older chips 65545 or so based LCD driver card, and support that as the second display adapter using powerstrip, driving a dirt cheap old laptop display from it.
What you reckon about gamma only supported on overlay video makes sense, because all the software I have mucked around with adjusts gamma for everything on the screen except the window with incoming video from the composite in capture. I know some cards with TV out have hardware support for gamma correction and I have seen the option in some software, but mine doesn't support it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.