an ebay-free projector help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there like a store where I can buy the necessary parts? I'm going to start this project with a PSONE panel- baby steps, yes, but I tried to use my Gamecube's LCD but I couldn't remove the backlight without tearing up the panel. Annoyingly, the backlight was good enough to run it through an overhead, but just enough to impress, not to play >.<!

Anyway, from what I've surmised from the other threads and google is that I need.

-NOOB alert-
(You've been warned!)

I have:
PSONE LCD
Overhead projector (unfourtunately I can't remove the lenses!)

I need(?)

Fresnel Lens
CRT lens
100+ watts light source (like... what?)
Body of projector
CPU-sized fan

Well, where can I find this stuff in a store? I live in St. Louis so pretty much any chain is availible to me. I asked someone in a Best Buy about this and he had no idea what I was talking about.

chain store sources in St. Louis

Fresnel Lens: Office Depot or Staples, sold as page magnifiers

CRT lens: tough one. Maybe this one is big enough:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G1596&variation=&aitem=16&mitem=29
or you could go the copy lens route with something like this:
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l2095.html

100+ watts light source: You might try Home Depot. They have a halogen 250 Watt bulb, if you can work up a socket for it. It is small enough to fit in a soup ladle reflector, too.

Soup ladle: Goodwill, Salvation Army Thrift stores. Or someplace cheap like K-Mart if you must buy it new. Get one that is perfectly spherical.

Body of projector: Home Depot for aluminum angle shapes and flat sheets, or 1 by 2's and Medium Density Fiberboard. They also sell Lexan XL, which is a good clear UV filter, and glass, which can be used to confine hot air away from the fresnels & LCD.

CPU-sized fan: Radio Shack has a bunch. You get to decide if you want to use 120 VAC fans or 12 VDC fans with a PC power supply.

really cheap!

Why not just strip your PS1 so you can mount the LCD and the controller on a piece of plywood, with a hole in it for the light. Then lay that on top of your OHP. That would probably cost you about 5 bucks. Might just be good enough, too!

The picture will be small, since the OHP optics are designed for standard paper size. That means you can move the OHP to the back of your TV room, which is better than having to look around it to see the screen.

If the LCD gets too hot after running a while, then add a couple of strips of wood under the plywood to raise it 1/2 inch and build a little box with a fan in it to feed that space between the OHP and the panel. That might get it up to $20.

If you later decide you want a projector in a box, you can use all the OHP stuff to get the same quality image: lamp, fan, reflector, condensor adjustor, fresnels, projection lens, focus adjustor, and front surface mirror. Just add a box.

Re: chain store sources in St. Louis

Guy Grotke said:
Fresnel Lens: Office Depot or Staples, sold as page magnifiers

Hey Guy,
What are the Specs on these Fresnels available at Home Depot and Staples ? 210mm 320mm etc?
What would be the appropriate distance to mount these lenses from the Light Source and the LCD?

Also here is an interesting Light Engine I found on ebay. Do you think it will be enough to acomodate a small size LCD under 7"?

Thank you

Optical Assemply

fresnels

Office Depot, not Home Depot. Or any other big office supply type store. I don't know how strong they are, or how good they are. I do know that peole have used fresnels they got from an office supply store and got reasonably good results. I think you have to go and look at them. You can get a pretty good estimate of the focal length right in the store by focussing an image of a bright light fixture that is >50 feet away.

OHPs typically use a 220 mm fl lower fresnel edge glued to a 330 mm fl upper fresnel. If you are gutting an OHP, then you probably already have those.

As for that light box on eBay: It uses a very small consensor lens and heat filter, and the light is a weird voltage. It is probably for slide projection. I would prefer using the parts from an OHP.

split page magnifiers?

If it has a smooth surface on both sides, then it is a pair of fresnels glued together. You could probably split them by cutting off the outer 1/4" with a Dremel cutting wheel. By the way, if you do cut one of these to use with your LCD, you need to cut all four sides so you end up with the center of the lens at the center of your LCD. If you cut it down the middle and use just one side of the lens, it would bend all the light to one side.

If it is smooth on one side and has concentric ridges on the other, then it is a single fresnel.

But you should measure the focal length before anything else: It might have just the focal length you need without splitting.

I looked at the link you listed: Item G looks like the winner. The flexible ones are PVC and have lower image quality than the hard ones made from acrylic. G is also "High Power", whatever that means.

Let us know what you measure for the focal length.

AC adapter

Do you know what voltage & current you need? AC or DC output? Is there a polarity diagram next to the power socket, if it is DC?

If you know the answers to these questions, then you may be able to go to Radio Shack and pickup a wall wart power supply with a universal plug set.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.