"smeared" image

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"smeared" image

My first post! This site is awesome.

I've searched the forums for someone posting a similar problem to mine, and I didn't find any posts. If I missed it, and there's another post answering this, I apologize, and you may tell me, "This question's already been asked idiot, look here ?????? newbie!"

I've almost completed my projector project (I'll post pictures and a thread about it here when I'm happy with it - the full projection unit itself cost under $190, I put a $100 computer I assembled in the box with it, and got a $90 pull down screen), it looks pretty damn nice, but I'm having a little bit of difficulty:

the image appears to be kind of smeared or smudged over most of the screen. The image itself is crisp, but then there's a sort of shadow effect going on with it, mostly in one direction.

(I can post a picture if this is not a good enough description).

I've gutted an Eiki projector with a lense-mirror-lense system, used its fresnel lense, a 400W MH bulb, and I'm using a Sharp QA-1050.

In the projector, I DO NOT have a condensor or a reflecting sphere thing underneath my light source. Could these be the problem? I've been able to get almost uniform light distribution without these, however.

Could the problem be unclean glass and lenses? I've tried my best to clean these, but if you tell me this is because they're dirty, I'll try again.

Could it be reflecting going on between all the reflective surfaces causing this?

Are my projection lenses or fresnel lense out of alignment?

Any help anyone could give me on this I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

-Ninjew

QA-1050 is too slow for movies or games..sorry need a faster panel like the qa-1650, qa-1750 or the qa-2500 (if you can find one)

The smearing is the lcd being too slow to refresh. I think the qa-1050 is a 50ms lcd. Need to be under 30ms for no motion blur.

Otherwise sounds good :D

Gordon

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think the smearing can be caused by dirtyness, crappy objective lens, like a singlet, (you got a doublet, so it should be ok), crappy front fresnel, or light leaking somewhere on or in the projector.

The panel is quite low end (better than mine, I got a qa-1000, lol)
Still usable though...

A pic would be great.

Just my 2 cents

Picture of problem

Thanks for those replies so far.

As far as motion blur goes, it's not that - I know what that looks like. I haven't had any problems caused by the refresh rate on this (including gaming on the Xbox), for the record - the QA-1050 refreshes plenty. The panel seems plenty adequate (except its color reproduction isn't the greatest). But thanks for the suggestion. I plan on upgrading some time in the future.

As for all the other options, it might be combination of all of those. I don't think there's a light leakage problem, but I could be wrong. The crappy fresnel and dirty lenses seem like a possibility. Also, I just made sure the fresnel, panel, and projection lense assembly were all parallel to eachother. But I could have been wrong...

Here's a picture of what it looks like (as best as I could produce one). The pixels are clearly defined, but then everything sort of shadows up:

Attachments

• projectorblur.jpg
    projectorblur.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 183
This may not help - but I had a problem like yours
with my OHP - it was light leaking - are you
able to stick you finger or paper near your
last glass lens and see it change or go away

I ended up putting tape over the mirror and making
a square on it - the last mirror on top of the OHP

you may have to make a shadow mask -
- Try a piece of paper with a hole in it - in
front or behind the last lens - hold it
with your hand and move back and forth
to see if it goes away

It looks like it is light leakage after all

Well, it looks like it is light leakage. I put my hand in front of the lens and it cleared it right up. And once it's fixed, I think it'll be a really nice picture. Now I have to figure out how best to fix it. Any suggestions? (Besides the tape one, I'll look into that).

Thanks for the help!

or atleast an aperture board in front (cardboard with a hole smaller then the lens.)

So thats what its called - I can remember everything about
something and forget its name - and I am bad with numbers
to

On my OHP I was using a halogen flood light - and then
a HQI - I got a bar of light under the last lens - because
its not a small point of light - I think it was from that
- that I was getting the fuzzy image - I called it light
leaking for lack of a better word

I put my old single lens that was on my Apollo 15000
OHP, on my new 3M 2150 OHP, and it did not have the fuzzy
look to it - like it did on the Apollo 15000 OHP - not shure
why, the image was brighter and huge tho, may be I got
the stuff lined up good this time in the retro fit
-when I tried this, I just swaped the head of the OHP

It's both

ancorp said:
actually I think its light abbreviations caused by the doublet... a nice triplet lens should fix that, or atleast an aperture board in front (cardboard with a hole smaller then the lens.)

This smearing is on the projected image only right? NOT on the panel?

The panel is nice and crisp. I know some of the problem with the projection is because of problems with the doublet, but these are only minor. Most of it was being caused because of light leakage, and I'm working on that. And an aperture board looks like it might work for helping to fix this.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.