cheapest way to make 124 inch diag screen? and can't put on wall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to be getting my Benq PB6100 in the mail in a couple days...

I need a screen to project it...I've calculated from the distance where I'm going ot use my projector, it's going to make a 124 inch diagnol image (99x74)....

whats the cheapest material I can use to build this?

also there's a problem....how the room is setup...I can't have it put on the wall...it's actually going to be sitting against 2 sliding window doors to the balcony....

so, I guess something that can easily be moved and transported would be nice....what do you guys suggest?

btw, how much do the Parkland Polywall cost per square feet? or do they even go up to that size

I am currently using blackout cloth. I however have not found anything that is any wider. My cloth is 48" I think. I would also like to have a larger screen, but what I have right now works. Really, its about a perfect size for widescreen. Which is what I normally watch anyway.

I might try to cut a piece of it and see if seems are visible. I'll let you know how it works.

yeah, blackout usually comes in 54" wide rolls so that wouldn't work unless you special order it. I don't know of any fabric stores in the seattle area that carry wider cloth, but they might exist. As for other ideas, I have none. You could always use any flat surface (that won't be folded) and put down a couple layers of paint. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ has a lot of information on screen materials and paints

Have you tried walmart.com for a blackout screen. They sell a 105x80 single sheet @ us$55

Also go to avsforum.com , got diy screens, and research blackout aka bo or boc and search walmart.

I have the walmart 105x80 myself and there it came all wrinkly but you could steam it out yourself or when you're framing it make the pull is taught so the wrinkles come out.

victor-eyd said:
Have you tried walmart.com for a blackout screen. They sell a 105x80 single sheet @ us$55

Didn't know that, good info to have. A little expensive (compared to the 54" wide rolls), but its already the perfect dimensions and quite large at 132" before framing. My lcd is a little lower than 4:3 format and the slim borders on the sides drive me insane :dodgy:

victor-eyd said:

Also go to avsforum.com , got diy screens, and research blackout aka bo or boc and search walmart.

I have the walmart 105x80 myself and there it came all wrinkly but you could steam it out yourself or when you're framing it make the pull is taught so the wrinkles come out.

hmm, that sounds like a good idea, but I have to frame that stuff?

I need something light that I can just hang with tape or something, heh

can you provide me a link for hte blackout screen from walmart? i cant seem to be able to find it

GO to walmart and look for the cloth. You may get by with calling them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get someone on the phone that has no idea what you're talking about. Just ask for the material that "goes behind curtains to block out the light" if they don't know what "blackout cloth" is.

A frame is the best way to get the screen flat and looking good. Something such as thumbtacks would hold it up if you wanted, but tape wouldn't do anything - unless its stronger stuff. Its a good bit thicker than say a shower curtain, but not so much that it'd weigh more than say 5 lbs for the larger size at walmart

SGSeeker said:
GO to walmart and look for the cloth. You may get by with calling them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get someone on the phone that has no idea what you're talking about. Just ask for the material that "goes behind curtains to block out the light" if they don't know what "blackout cloth" is.

A frame is the best way to get the screen flat and looking good. Something such as thumbtacks would hold it up if you wanted, but tape wouldn't do anything - unless its stronger stuff. Its a good bit thicker than say a shower curtain, but not so much that it'd weigh more than say 5 lbs for the larger size at walmart

hmm

the problem is I need to set it against this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pood,

I have found a way that works for me, without framing.
My home theatre is on the first floor (where the roof also is), so I don't have more than 120cm of vertical wall height before it goes into 45degr. angle.
Also, my g/f would never have allowed me to cover a wall for this purpose, anyway :xeye:

Thus, I nneded a different solution. It turned out to work quite well for me with a 230cm wide, 130cm high piece of white, coated table cloth. (The type used for picknicks and small children, which can be wiped clean easily.) The reverse side has a fine fibre/fabric texture, which is what I project onto.

Anyway... The top part of the cloth is clamped between two 20x40mm thick lengths (bars) of wood (horizontal). This wood is mounted to the wall with hooks (could be any bracket solution, but mine can be removed easily by lifting it off the hooks).

The lower end of the fabric is glued to a round piece of wood along the length of the fabric. Since this is round (28mm diameter), I can roll the fabric onto this bar. When it's all rolled up, it's secured to the top bar by a couple of straps.

It's been working for me for a couple of months now. The only thing to make sure, is that you need wide, soft straps. If you make the roll-bar (bottom) wider than the fabric, and only use straps at the ends, the weight of the bar will bend it over time, and result in an un-even load when rolled down, causing an un-even screen. I can compensate by turning my hooks once or twice in their thread, lowering or raising them, but if you distribute the weight of the bar and fabric onto a number of straps, you'll solve this problem. Mine is not perfectly even at the ends (left and right), but I don't project there.

Maybe it'll give inspiration for your own custom-made solution. :)

Jennice

I think part of the problem is finding materials which are wide enough. I currently am using blackout cloth, but I cant find any that is wider than 48". I doubt that using two pieces would look any good, so I am limited to 48" height. Luckily, I mostly watch movie on my projector which tend to be widescreen, so 48" is OK, however, I would definately enjoy having a taller screen. Another part of my problem is that it must go in the middle of a room and be easily moved. For this reason, I am leaning towards putting the blackout cloth on a bar so it can be rolled up, but I unsure how flat the screen will stay with this configuration. Also, I didn't want to invest time in using my 48" cloth if I still have a chance of finding something wider.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.