ade's 15" projector - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2004, 04:55 PM   #1
ade is offline ade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default ade's 15" projector

Greetings!
I'm ade, I'm going to build myself a projector. I'll post some pictures and comments of the process in this thread.
I'm from Sweden, and I noticed it's rather difficult to find parts here. I'm going to build the standard design 15" projector, with a MH lamp, split fresnels.

Sofar I ordered:

Projection lens - Xerox/Fuji 325mm Focal Length Multi(6)-Element Lens
from diybuildergroup.com
This batch of lenses is made for Xerox by Georz and Fuji Optical Company. It will work with 10-15" LCD Panels and will give you a better image then any common Triplet lens. This lens has an iris that is not needed. It does not effect projection at all when fully open.

Fresnels - 12.2" x 12.2" Standard Fresnel Lenses (310 x 310mm) focal lengths top:330mm bottom:220mm from above: $25
Combined - how do I split it?

UV filter film for the heat-protection glass from above $10

Mogul Base HID Socket: $13.43

Metal Halide Ballast - MH400/MT 400W Sola Brand: $48.89

Metal Halide Bulb MH400/U/CL/MOG (Sylvania): 2@ $12.11

I'm currently scouting for a used, strippable LCD with less than 30ms response time, min. 300:1 contrast and 16.7m color.

Let me know if i'm doing anything terribly wrong
Old 17th November 2004, 03:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found a compaq tft 1520 cheap
it has 350:1 contrast, 16.7m color, XGA and 35 ms. Is 35 ms too much? What exactly happens, when the response time is high? If not i'll probably get it
Old 17th November 2004, 10:30 PM   #3
dengez is offline dengez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dengez Send a message via MSN to dengez Send a message via Yahoo to dengez
hey, so far you have stuff that would make a killer projector...and that monitor would top it off...check this out.........ranked 5th...

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,113455,00.asp

35 ms isn't bad...i think it might even be 30 ms...if the price is good... i say go for it...

dengez
Old 18th November 2004, 10:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK but i'm afraid it has FFC issues like the compaq 5017... I'm also looking at a used benq 567s....
Old 18th November 2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi ade, I'm curious as to what bulb you are using. I searched the Sylvania online catalouge and MH400/U/CL/MOG does not show up. Are you sure that is the number?

Mikey
Old 18th November 2004, 01:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi mikey!
It's the one at the bottom here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category.php?category=949
Didnt want to get the cheapest one at $9.99

ade
Old 18th November 2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks ade. Looks like a good bulb. And the price is right too!!

Mikey
Old 18th November 2004, 03:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, so after alot of time reviewing my options for an LCD, I decided to order a brand new Benq 557s V2! It was too hard to find a risk-free cheap used lcd with good specs. For those of you that don't know the 557s monitor, here are the specs!

15"
16 ms response time
16.2 m colors with dithering (262k... but who cares)
1024x768
450:1 contrast

It's the same as the 567s v2 but no speakers...

Price with shipping $350.

So now I'm just waiting for my 3 orders to arrive, from diybuildergroup.com, 1000bulbs.com and if we have any swedes here, www.datapryl.se for the LCD

As mentioned this was a good choice because of the nice specs, especially 16ms and 450:1 contrast, and I saw several guides on the net how to disassemble it, it's a common DIY lcd.

I'm excited
Old 18th November 2004, 08:21 PM   #9
The_gnu is offline The_gnu  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello!!!
interesting to find someone else from sweden in here..
I totaly agree with you that findig parts for a DIY projector in sweden isn't easy.. I was thinking of going the lilli way and was first lookng for a lilliput. But the only place in sweden hwo sells Lilliput 7" monitor is www.impotservice.nu and they are werry expensive. then i found out that www.exclusiv-online.com has a rather cheap lilliput "look alike" screen and all optics and light you need. I'll probably order it from there. But I am allso thinking of the BENQ 567 v2 from datapryl. The total coast would be the same and that may hurt abit to know i could get a higer resolution projector for almost the same price. Gaaahhhh i don't know what to do!!!!!!!!

lycka till!!!!
Old 18th November 2004, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

ah! hello!
for me anything below XGA is unthinkable that's why I decided for the 15" setup.

do you know where to get metal halide here in swe? because I just got info about the cheapest shipping cost for my MH order from usa: $78, and the order total was $84. hmmmm!

I might look tomorrow in some stores like bauhaus or the like instead of ordering from the us....

Hide this!Advertise here!