ade's 15" projector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ade's 15" projector

Greetings!
I'm ade, I'm going to build myself a projector. I'll post some pictures and comments of the process in this thread.
I'm from Sweden, and I noticed it's rather difficult to find parts here. I'm going to build the standard design 15" projector, with a MH lamp, split fresnels.

Sofar I ordered:

Projection lens - Xerox/Fuji 325mm Focal Length Multi(6)-Element Lens
from diybuildergroup.com
This batch of lenses is made for Xerox by Georz and Fuji Optical Company. It will work with 10-15" LCD Panels and will give you a better image then any common Triplet lens. This lens has an iris that is not needed. It does not effect projection at all when fully open.

Fresnels - 12.2" x 12.2" Standard Fresnel Lenses (310 x 310mm) focal lengths top:330mm bottom:220mm from above: $25
Combined - how do I split it?

UV filter film for the heat-protection glass from above $10

Mogul Base HID Socket: $13.43

Metal Halide Ballast - MH400/MT 400W Sola Brand: $48.89

Metal Halide Bulb MH400/U/CL/MOG (Sylvania): 2@ $12.11

I'm currently scouting for a used, strippable LCD with less than 30ms response time, min. 300:1 contrast and 16.7m color.

Let me know if i'm doing anything terribly wrong :)

OK, so after alot of time reviewing my options for an LCD, I decided to order a brand new Benq 557s V2! It was too hard to find a risk-free cheap used lcd with good specs. For those of you that don't know the 557s monitor, here are the specs!

15"
16 ms response time
16.2 m colors with dithering (262k... but who cares)
1024x768
450:1 contrast

It's the same as the 567s v2 but no speakers...

Price with shipping $350.

So now I'm just waiting for my 3 orders to arrive, from diybuildergroup.com, 1000bulbs.com and if we have any swedes here, www.datapryl.se for the LCD

As mentioned this was a good choice because of the nice specs, especially 16ms and 450:1 contrast, and I saw several guides on the net how to disassemble it, it's a common DIY lcd.

I'm excited :)

Hello!!!
interesting to find someone else from sweden in here..:smash:
I totaly agree with you that findig parts for a DIY projector in sweden isn't easy.. I was thinking of going the lilli way and was first lookng for a lilliput. But the only place in sweden hwo sells Lilliput 7" monitor is www.impotservice.nu and they are werry expensive. then i found out that www.exclusiv-online.com has a rather cheap lilliput "look alike" screen and all optics and light you need. I'll probably order it from there. But I am allso thinking of the BENQ 567 v2 from datapryl. The total coast would be the same and that may hurt abit to know i could get a higer resolution projector for almost the same price. Gaaahhhh i don't know what to do!!!!!!!!:hot: :confused:

lycka till!!!!

ah! hello!
for me anything below XGA is unthinkable that's why I decided for the 15" setup.

do you know where to get metal halide here in swe? because I just got info about the cheapest shipping cost for my MH order from usa: $78, and the order total was $84. hmmmm!

I might look tomorrow in some stores like bauhaus or the like instead of ordering from the us....

since the MH's is a rather unusual lamp i don't think they are easy to find, especially not in "regular" stores here in sweden. Maby some light speciallst will sell them. But if you are going to order lamps from outside of sweden I think you should stick to countries inside the EU, since then you only will have to pay the shipping and not some extra Toll fe. Thats why I wont shop from the USA.

high shipping cost

I think most of your high shipping cost is the ballast: They are very heavy! I have one for a 250 Watt bulb and it weighs 5 kilos. See if you can find a ballast somewhere closer. The bulbs are very light weight, so the shipping from Atlanta Light Bulbs should be much less expensive.

If you can't find a MH ballast locally, but you can find a 400 Watt HPS ballast, then you can order a Ushio UHI-S400DD Metal Halide bulb from Atlanta Light Bulbs. That is a "retrofit bulb", that works with an HPS ballast. It has very good color temperature and high CRI, even for a MH bulb.

But I think you should be able to find MH bulbs and ballasts in Sweden: These are the most efficient lighting available, used by companies and local governments everywhere. They might be difficult to find in a consumer-oriented retail store, but you should try calling some industrial lighting and electrical supply companies.

If you have trouble finding metal halide set you can try the way i found it.
First call Osram dealers for Sweden, find the number at
http://www.osram.se/
Osram produces HQI metal halide lamps

Ask them to tell you names of the stores to whom they sell their metal halide lamps..

Stores that sell metal halide lamps usually sell ballasts and igniters.
All you have to do is to call few stores.

Metal halide is not so unusual lamp. Now lot of stores in their windows use them and people in aquarium hobby love them

I think that HQI TS 400/D Fc2 model would be good for this purpose, 5200 K light, has UV filter....any opinions

If I managed to find MH set in Croatia, then anyone can find it
;-))))

price in Croatia lamp HQI TS400D - 67 EUR
ballast+igniter - 39 EUR
all including VAT in the store

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.