My LCD Projector Deadline 1 month!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DIYers!

Well, I´m a total Newbie to this But I will try to finish it in One Month! Hope to have it ready for Nov 25!

I´ll be posting my results almost every day, so check it out!

Starting point:

I have a Sawyers Slide projector, Very Old but never been used.
I´m planning to take several parts from it:
Condenser lens, 4" FL Projector Lens, cool Electric Focusing system, etc.

Need to buy the fresnel lens, LCD Screen, and coolers. I´m Worried about stripping the LCD! Is it easy? I´ll let you know.

Lamp: For all that I´ve read the way to go is a Metal Halide one.
So I´ve Chosen a 150W MH lamp, with 12000 Lumens and 4200K Color Temperature. Apparently 4200K is the correct color temperature to use. According to Color Temp Charts, this Color temp makes white look white. While higher color temps, makes white look blueish...(According to what I´ve read in diyaudio.com)

Well, that´s all I have for now. See you soon...

Dont worry abt a deadline, I built mine in 3 days
and the quality is great!

Cooling systems are easy to build, u get computer fans and u rewire them into a 9v convertor.

And evewrything else is arranging,

The hardest mart IMHO is the actual wood building of the case. If your doing it your self its going to be hard

But GOOD LUCK :D

I run a optical test:
Well, I finally got a test image projected to the wall. My lenses are not the right ones, because my fresnels have 300mmFL and my projection lens only 100mm.
I tested it with a 50W Dichroic lamp, so it was really dimm and the spot of the light source on the wall made it even worst.

I was wandering? If the image in the LCD is for example a black scene, this means that the lcd screen will "block" almost all the light that is passing through it? Am I right?
I thought this, because when you put a 300mmFL Fresnel separated 300mm from the light source, what you get on the wall is a clear and amplified image of the bulb. Undesirable!

So the lens arrange in this test was the following:

Lamp 50W>>>300mm<<<fresnel1 -- transparency film --fresnel 2 >>>300mm<<<60mmFL condensor lens>>> aprox80mm>>>100mmFL Projector lens.

The transparency film is to work as the image of the lcd. I printed on it some colour figures, to see the projected result.
The two things that i believe make the test kinda unsuccesful is the transparency film and the low output lamp.
these weekend I´ll be buying the 150WMh and the lcd, and perform this test again.
Eventually I will have to get, in order to obtain better results, a new projector lens and new fresnels, that match in FLength.

I´m Really worried about stripping the LCD, that brown fragile cable! Wish me luck!

I´ll post some pictures soon.

Thanks Yazan24!

Yesterday was a lucky day.
I bought a 3M 200mm FL Fresnel lens New in box! for $50
And a 3M DLP 210mm Projector lens in very good condition for $25! Nice couple!

So I´m really happy. In A few minutes I´m going to buy the Mh lamp and the lcd screen and will spend all weekend trying to figure out how to put together all these pieces in the best way possible.

expect pictures soon!

Ace3000! I´ve read all your posts!

I´m Sorry, i´ve putted the price in Argentinian Pesos.

$50 pesos = 16 US dollars.

In total, for the fresnel + the projector lens I paid 25 US Dollars.

I was was ripped off with the lcd, though... u$d240

And the 150W mh lamp with ballast u$d 40

Hi Georgie, my name is Julián and live in Argentina too, but in Buenos Aires !.
I'm testing my prototype projector using page magnifiers instead of good quality fresnells and works well but I want to obtain one of them in the near future. Can you tell me where you buy the fresnell and projector lens ?
Good luck with your projector !
:)

Julián

Hola Andronico...

Can you tell me where you buy the fresnell and projector lens ?

Well, i bought them im a computer store.
The fresnel is the spare part (Repuesto) of an Overhead projector.
You should be able to find it in BA. Try http://www.imagenesweb.com.ar
And the guy from the computer store, also sold me the projector lens, from a dismantled 3M DLP Projector...It´s used.

http://www.imagenesweb.com.ar

My next step is Stripping the LCD, have you done this already?

Bye!

ace3000_1 said:

Ahh you got a great deal then, well done ;).

Its a shame about lcd's, they should cost far less then what they do, we all get ripped off on those at times.

Trev:)

Speak for yourse...wait. i did get ripped off on one (in my eyes - $120) but my other panel which I don't use I got for $23 iirc. Datashow AV back before I had anything to actually project with :apathic: I should find a use for that thing.

Now watch me blow $600 or so next year on a UXGA panel (unless prices don't drop enough for my expectations and stay where they currently are)

-----------

Georgie, what lcd did you get? A monitor to strip? Projection panel?

Hi Georgie, thank you very much for the information.

I have the Lilliput LCD stripped, is not very difficult to do, but be very carefull with the brown flat cable ! I use the metal frame that holds the LCD to protect it (live bfourcade !).

I tested my PJ last week with all the optics in line (without any mirror) direct to a white wall and with a provisory cardboard case, it works OK. This weekend I change the layout to use a mirror in order to reduce the size. Perhaps I can test it this night :)

This weekend I change the layout to use a mirror in order to reduce the size.

Andronico,

Yes I want to use a mirror also...It significantly reduces the overall size.
I read that you need a First Surface Mirror.
Do you know where to buy one?
And I also need a UV Filter, cause the light of the MH lamp produces a lot of UV Rays that are harmful to the LCD.
Do you know where to buy one?
Thanks!

Georgie :

I bought the first surface mirror at American Science & Surplus (www.sciplus.com). The code is #2579, the size 160 x 183 mm and the price is US $ 3.5.- They have projection lenses also.

I'll test with a normal mirror because I want to check the minimum size needed to project. And then cut the FS mirror to this size. About UV protection, I'm using a Powerstar HQI-TS 150W/NDL with UV Stop, and a 8cm. PC cooler taking hot air out. I checked the temperature of the LCD with an electronic tester with temp probe, and after 1 hour of projection the max. temp was 40 celcius grades. I think that is not bad but perhaps I can improve it.
:smash:

Georgie, which is the brand of your LCD ?

P.S : you can email me directly if you want to use our native language :)

Georgie,

My guess that 1024x468 was a typo and its actually 1024x768.
Is that the native resolution, or is it compressed like on the Lilliput? also, when you say flip, which way does it flip, horizontally or vertically, i.e. left to right or top to bottom?

(if its left to right, thats a very useful feature, incase you want to use your projector for Rear projection, just hit the button and you got the image the right way around for rp, hit is again, and you got it right for fp!)

Is that the native resolution, or is it compressed like on the Lilliput?

I don´t know exactly, the user´s manual is pretty vague. It says 1024x234. I hope that´s enough...is it?

which way does it flip, horizontally or vertically, i.e. left to right or top to bottom?

4 ways:
Normal
Left to right
Top to bottom
Top to Bottom and left to right combined.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.