DIY Video Projector Part II - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2002, 07:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Video Projector Part II

No one else started another thread so here you go. A lot of good ideas have come out of the original thread so lets keep it going.
Old 25th June 2002, 10:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For projector screens, how can we decide which options are the best and what quantitative methods do we have for measuring gain and viewing angles for different options?

So far I've seen 4 top contenders:

1. Da-Lite Screens
2. PLAS-TEX by Parkland Plastics
3. Blackout Cloth from fabric stores
4. Visiscreens??

this week we're starting our screen from blackout cloth. i post pics and performance numbers (possibly??) in a few days.
Old 26th June 2002, 04:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Just a thread?

I may be in the minority here, but does anyone else think that just starting nother thread for all of this info is a bad idea? The mountains of unorganized information from the last one will probably just continue if we dump all our new ideas and info into another thread. At the very least, this project deserves its own forum with separate threads. Ideally, a group of forums dedicated to each piece of the project would be used. diyprojectors.com is working on such a forum. I'm sure many others on here, including me, have access to forum creation and management and can start one if need be.

It just seems like an awfully good opportunity to add some organization to this very detail-oriented project at this time.

What do you guys think?
Old 26th June 2002, 05:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default i agree completely

hokie,

i agree. we should use a new forum with better managed groups when one is available, or start several threads here temporarily that attempt some kind of organization while still being under the same topic. perhaps this will work:

DIY Projector - Screens
DIY Projector - LCD Panels
DIY Projector - OHP's
DIY Projector - Result Pics Only
DIY Projector - Custom Designs
DIY Projector - Optics

and etc...i think you get the point. what do you think? would this work or would it become cluttered without moderation?

also, i think we should contribute finished information to a website such as cowan's diyprojectors.com or some other place. ive tried to organize information at my own, but in the future hope to transfer it to a central site.

lets agree to do something, like the new threads, new forum, and/or site contribution and see this project continue to grow!
Old 26th June 2002, 05:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to multiplexor
Default Re: i agree completely

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperZoboo
hokie,

i agree. we should use a new forum with better managed groups when one is available, or start several threads here temporarily that attempt some kind of organization while still being under the same topic. perhaps this will work:

DIY Projector - Screens
DIY Projector - LCD Panels
DIY Projector - OHP's
DIY Projector - Result Pics Only
DIY Projector - Custom Designs
DIY Projector - Optics

and etc...i think you get the point. what do you think? would this work or would it become cluttered without moderation?

also, i think we should contribute finished information to a website such as cowan's diyprojectors.com or some other place. ive tried to organize information at my own, but in the future hope to transfer it to a central site.

lets agree to do something, like the new threads, new forum, and/or site contribution and see this project continue to grow!
hmm i may have had the idea of starting a new thread like this, but then i thought that cowans site would actually be great to continue with this information stream.... I really think it would be great. He already has the forum setup and he also has the sperate forums ready for the DIY projector specifics.
Old 26th June 2002, 06:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

yeah, cowans forum has/had a nicely laid out forum. for the moment hes switching to a new forum software, but yeah, once its up ill use it too. it would be nice if diyaudio.com would establish a similar organization scheme and throw in a few good mod's. heck, id volunteer to mod if they need someone.
Old 26th June 2002, 07:30 AM   #7
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
heck, id volunteer to mod if they need someone.
Moderators are being appointed as you type, although they will be "passive" - we don't want a police force just an easy way to keep things tidy and easy to use. Work has already started on cleaning out the completely useless stuff from the V1 thread.

SuperZ: There has been a notice across every forum for the past 4 days asking for moderator volunteers if you're interested.

Quote:
At the very least, this project deserves its own forum with separate threads
Did you mean threads, or did you mean seperate forum areas? Did anyone notice the Video forum was created about 2 months ago? Also that the recent site update allows you to view only video discussions?

If you decide on a forum structure then it will be created. Simple as that! I would even consider turning <a href="http://www.diyvideo.com">diyVideo.com</a> into a sister (brother? site on its own if you think that would be a good idea.

Happy to create seperate forums per your suggestion below. Whatever you need, it's not a big deal and I'm happy to provide or create it.
Old 26th June 2002, 12:56 PM   #8
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

<A href="http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=VideoLinks">A complete list of the 760 links referenced in the DIY Video Projector thread</a> is now available in the Wiki.

If anyone would like to help name and categorize the links I'm sure everyone would really appreciate it! Editing the page is of course as easy as clicking the Edit link.
Old 26th June 2002, 02:27 PM   #9
Marklar is offline Marklar  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Marklar
Default Beta 2

Well beta 2 is on the drawing board now, that means smaller box brighter bulb and higher resolution. Cooling for these things isnt going to be as big as a problem as I thought it would mine seems to run very cool with just a fan and vent. My friend at the electric supply is working on finding me a bulb, I told him 50,000 lumens 4500-6000K color temp about 10000 hour life and as small as can be so mabey he will have better luck.
Old 26th June 2002, 03:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to multiplexor
hmm if Jason is willing to do all this, I'm willing to fully stay here. I just saw cowans site as being organized into diff sections, but if that can be done here to. I figure it started here, should stay here hehe

Oh, hehe I had sent Jason an email asking for moderator status a while back also. Mainly passively for the V1 thread. But if he ever needs some, I don't mind giving a hand also.

Hide this!Advertise here!