DIY Video Projector Part II - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2002, 07:43 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default woneill

how are you going to mount all these lenses?
Old 27th June 2002, 01:44 PM   #22
woneill is offline woneill  United States
diyAudio Member

Icculus,

The same way porcupines make love - very carefully...

Unfortunately the mechanical side of things is my weakest skill.

Everything up to now is stacked vertically on my ex-OHP. The lenses I have up to now, are each mounted individually on 12"-square pieces of chipboard with an appropriate hole cut through the middle.

The fresnel on the OHP is simply glued to the chipboard panel. The other lenses (6 3/4" DCV, 5 7/8" PCX) so far, are clipped to their panel using loudspeaker mounding clips.

I have a crude concept of "legs" for each lens-panel based on blocks glued into the bottom side of each panel that have bolts screwed into them - each block is about 1.5" thick, with a hole running through it and a mounting nut super-glued to the bottom; appropriate length bolts from Home Depot are used according to requirements, screwed through the nut, into the block, to adjust the height of the panel above the previous one...

It is very "physics lab" at the moment, and not kid-proof.

Once the optical arrangement is perfected, I shall have to devise a more permanent enclosure...

As for the "anamorphic lenses", I don't have them yet. they are on order from Einstein's Emporium:

http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/sc...tics/sl230.htm

They are 2" square in section, and I am intending to mount them (glued) stacked vertically in their own rectangular tube that can be added/removed as a single unit depending on the characteristics of the DVD being watched.

When I get myself a new camera, I'll post pictures.

As for the internal arrangement of the anamorphic lenses, I have ordered 2 each PCV/PCX lenses, and depending on what works, I am thinking of cementing two pairs of PCV/PCX lenses together at right angles to each other as doublets that can be mounted a couple of inches apart from each other...

Hope this helps,

Bill.
Old 27th June 2002, 03:32 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help, Marklar.

Next question, for anyone who has made a screen with blackout cloth: which side do I use? One side is coarse and cloth-like, and the other side is smooth and rubber-like. They're both about as white as can be. Which side does the picture show on? Thanks.
Old 27th June 2002, 05:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

generally, the rubbery side is used. its easier to clean too. the forum at www.avsforum.com had several good threads under the screens section if you wanna good read. one guy made a nice frame for his.

as for ours, Krazzyed took it home to his mom so she can stitch a 8 foot long "rod pocket" for our dowel rod to slide into. as far as design goes, frame vs hanging, this may or may not work that great. it will be a week before we know.

meantime, if you finish, let me know eh!
Old 27th June 2002, 06:22 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EternaLightWith Send a message via Yahoo to EternaLightWith
Cool Interesting news for the near future

I was browsing THG and I saw some news on Sony introducing a new LCD display. Looks interesting. Sorry if you guys know aobut it already. Just sending a heads up.

Eternalightwithin

Here's the full article at the digitimes.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ages=03&seq=16
Old 27th June 2002, 09:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to multiplexor
it's funny cause i work at a company that has so many links to websites with electronics, capacitors, resistors, lcd screens...
yet i never bothered looking for some handy links to company web sites... I think i'm going to start trying to find some handy links to these sites and see whoe and where they sell stuff...

maybe i might find something handy.

anywho, just wanted to share

Curious, but what have people been doing for posting info lately?
have you been using cowan's site? or still plan on only posting here?

ciao
Old 28th June 2002, 12:45 AM   #27
fender4 is offline fender4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hokie TT and SuperZoboo,
I recently purchased the blackout cloth, and mine has one white side and one tan side...so picking which side was not tough!

I am happy with it so far. I don't have a frame/backing for it right now, but I was thinking about getting a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation board from Home Depot (I think it is pink with some writing on it). I plan on making it a 90" diagonal for 4:3 viewing, so it will take a little trimming and glueing. My goal is a lightweight, movable, durable screen, so that foam board might be good. I think it was $6, so the price is right.

Good luck,
f4
Old 28th June 2002, 01:55 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

fender4,

yeah, we got the yellow sided stuff too! anyway, i like your idea maybe a bit better than ours. i might halt the stitching progress. what dimensions are you going for? it seems that if the cloth is 54" you could do:

54" x 71.82" (4:3 ratio)
54" x 96" (16:9 ratio)

with the dowel rod aproach we lose height for the rod pocket and ultimately will have something like 48" x 85" (16:9).

alternatively, with a foam board and a 1 inch black felt border i guess the max would be 46" x 81.42" (16:9) or 46" x 62" (4:3).

still, i like the foam board idea and we might just go for it instead. what dimensions are you using exactly and do you think you'll use a felt border?
Old 28th June 2002, 02:06 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Jason,

Its been several days and cowans forum has yet to be restarted. I have no preference and want nothing but a forum thats reliable and moderated. And someone else said why not this forum since it started here and its well known. So i suggest these categories for a new subdivision of the video section:

DIYaudio Forums > Top > Video > DIY Projection:

Subcategories within "DIY Projection"

Screens
LCD Panels
Enclosures (OHPs, OHP mods, custom boxes)
Optics/Lenses
General

Of course this might need refining so any other suggestions would be great. I say make it so if you can and move the big threads, but closed for responses.
Old 28th June 2002, 02:21 AM   #30
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i would restart my forum, but due to traffic, and lack of overall interest, it really hasnt been much of use.

it's nice that this forum is shaping up a bit, but it does still need work IMO.

Hide this!Advertise here!