DIY Video Projector Part II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LCD transparency

I don't know if this has already been covered but i have been searching for the last couple hours and didn't find anything so here I go:
I have bought a 5.6" TFT LCD screen that works okay BUT when I remove the backlight it is SO terribly dark! I don't use a high-power-lamp yet,but it's coming soon ;) ... will a 400W metal halide bulb do the trick or are there LCD displays that aren't transparent enough to use for projection? Is this because of the polarisation I heard about?

Something completely different: Uvodee (at least I think it was him) said i could get those very thin flatcables from molex, but their website doesnt show any flat flex cables, only the connector.
How ands where can I order -the right- flat cables to remove my cd from the PCB?
Thanx a lot for any help...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: LCD transparency

declined said:
I don't know if this has already been covered but i have been searching for the last couple hours and didn't find anything so here I go:
I have bought a 5.6" TFT LCD screen that works okay BUT when I remove the backlight it is SO terribly dark! I don't use a high-power-lamp yet,but it's coming soon ;) ... will a 400W metal halide bulb do the trick or are there LCD displays that aren't transparent enough to use for projection? Is this because of the polarisation I heard about?

Something completely different: Uvodee (at least I think it was him) said i could get those very thin flatcables from molex, but their website doesnt show any flat flex cables, only the connector.
How ands where can I order -the right- flat cables to remove my cd from the PCB?
Thanx a lot for any help...

I have a trash sharp screen here and have noticed the same thing about the transparancy level (or rather the lack of apparent transparancy) I am waiting for my gear to arrive so dont have much comment about it in particular. But I can say I had a 400 watt MH HID next to my dud panel (last night... doing reflector tests) and quite a bit of light appeared to make it through. Keeping in mind that the LCD had no feed to it and I did not have any reasonable "light box" constructed. I for one hope that the polarization on my new panel is done in the same manner as this junk Sharp lcd. The dead pannel had from back to front as follows.....1 plastic/metal backing for back light
2 sheet of ULTRA WHITE relctive type material
3 a plastic sheet that accepts the light from the CCFL through and along it's length, then act's as a "light pipe" from what I can tell to "backlight" the entire surface of the screen
4 a two piece assembly of polarizing sheet
5 the LCD panel itself
6 some sort of material on the screen face...I believe this is an "anti reflective" treatment to make daytime viewing on a laptop more tollerable I am hoping that this coating doesnt pose to be a problem as I dont see a good way of removing it :(

What are you running for a lamp now?

zardoz

Red Devil - LCD Screen

Hello,

I've been lurking here for quite some time, reading your various threads. I must say, you all have inspired me to build a DIY projector (and let's face it, a 10,000hr+ bulb is VERY attractive).

RedDevil: What kind of LCD are you using? I don't think this was posted, but i've read ohh so many threads.

Thanks,
Desmond.

lamp

What are you running for a lamp now?

:xeye: try not to laugh... just a standard desktop lamp, pointed at my lenses and lcd... I guess that explains the little brightness... But I am looking for prices of 400W MH bulbs so that should be like -a zillion- times brighter! :cool:
I havent started building my pj yet: its just some parts standing on my table...

I was just worried about the lcd because the other lcd i checked was much more transparent than my new 5.6" tft lcd. It was the little 2,5" screen on my camcorder.

But if the lcd turns out to be OK, then the only big problem left is finding a flatflex cable to make an extension to put my lcd further away from the electronics board... NO idea where to order those cables/connectors. Anyone an idea or link where I can order from Europe? (Belgium)

DIY Projector parts for sale

You may or may not remember me, but I was an avid participant here in the April - June timeframe. I was working hard on my own DIY system. Then I shorted out the power supply that feeds my LCD. Little whit puff of smoke, and that's all she wrote.

So I give up. I'm selling the whole thing. First and foremost, a brand new (less than 1 hour use) 400 Watt MH bulb/ballast/coil/capaciter kit.

Plus lots more stuff. Lenses, mirrors, reflector, OHP parts. Please check out my e-bay sale, where I've just listed. I know there are lots of success stories on this forum, but I'm afraid I've tried and failed.

I wish the best of luck to he or she who succeeds with this equipment.

Thanks,
dave.

Please see my sale at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2080266568

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Declined: If you are looking for the standard "High Bay" type HID's (like in factories and warehouses) try your local building wrecker. I got 2 ballasts and one el crapo reflector plus 2 working bulbs for $50.00 cdn. The used bulbs will do fine for me till I get all the optics and such set-up then I'll go and buy a new bulb.

Got my card...now to wait for my panel...I hate waiting.

Tested my reflector last night (big shiny bowl) my prelim tests look like I should go ahead and punch a hole in the bottom and try the lamp with the arc tube 90 degree's to the bowl's opening.

I've been advised by a trusted friend that I shouldnt need a reflector with the HID, and I think he is right. But at the cost of a $20.00 stainless steel bowl I just cant resist. The lamp is "wicked bright" all on it's own, but with the reflector it does seem to "focus" the light much better. (besides the wife allready has a bowl for mixing her bread dough...she cant use 2 at once ~s~ )

zardoz

Newbie !

Hi All,

I've been reading both parts of the DIY projector forum for a few weeks now, and there is some interesting stuff.

I had delivery of my ASK impact24 LCD overhead panel last week, which i bought off e-bay, and the specs look good.

The downside is my OHP hasn't arrived yet, it should be here later today. (Nobo 90 OHP) Has anyone got any specs. on this overhead projector, as i cannot find any info ??

Check out this site that someone has put together, using this panel and with a spec list as well at the bottom of the page.

I'll let you know how i get on, when the OHP turns up !, I've also posted this in the good / bad panel guide as well.

Cheers

Cosmic023

ASK Impact24 LCD Panel :)

Okay... I have a question that might seem totally stupid but I'm sure there is at least 1 other person that once didn't know this ;) :
What side of the lcd should face the bulb?
My guess would be the back side because the lcd backlight shines through that one... but on the other hand: my lcd has a silverish shine on the back so a lot of light might be reflected back??

Do other people also have lcd's with a shiny silverish back? What did you do? (back to bulb/ front to bulb)

Declined:

Declined:

The way you put in your LCD in the projector is the way it will appear on the screen (i.e. if you put the LCD in backwards, the projected image will be horizontally flipped).

This could, i guess, be overcome with some sort of lens setup if the light going through the LCD backwards was that much brighter, though this is not my department.

But let me know how it turns out, as I would be interested to know if more light flows through the LCD one way than the other.

Desmond.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
declined said:
Okay... I have a question that might seem totally stupid but I'm sure there is at least 1 other person that once didn't know this ;) :
What side of the lcd should face the bulb?
My guess would be the back side because the lcd backlight shines through that one... but on the other hand: my lcd has a silverish shine on the back so a lot of light might be reflected back??

Do other people also have lcd's with a shiny silverish back? What did you do? (back to bulb/ front to bulb)

Sounds like you have a panel that doesnt have the same build sequence as mine. Can you give us a breakdown on it construction? See my earlier post on how my panel is put together. My panel's are "Transmissive" there is a designation for panels "Reflective" these have a shiny coating on the back to take the place of the "light pipe" concept that I refered to. If it is reflective...is there any way to remove the coating? (I'd be extra carefull here) I've never had one like this in front of me so cant offer advice on the feasabillity of removing a spray on coating (or a stick on sheet) Hmmm maybe using one of those chemicals on the screen that the laptop manufactures tell us "do not use ****** based cleaning products, as they will damadge the sensitive LCD coating" (this is not advice... just conjecture ;)

zardoz

Sharp QA 1150

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to purchase this overhead projection pannel for $139 USD shipped to my door. I was hoping someone here could tell me if that is a good deal. Being new to this arena, I have absolutely no idea (I'm so out of my league).

The specs of the panel are as follows:

Compatibility MCGA, CGA, EGA, VGA, Mac
Colours 1.7 million
Resolution 640 x 480
Display area 170.9 mm (H) x 129.6 mm (V)
System PAL/SECAM/NTSC
Power requirements 32 W
Dimensions 330 mm (W) x 270 mm (D) x 56 mm (H)
Weight 2.4 kg

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Regards,
Desmond.

sharp panel

Haven't used this particular panel... but check out this link and search for the word sharp... and they review it quite well.

http://www.infotoday.com/online/OL1995/MayOL95/connolly.html

I have a sharp panel that I find is well designed... but there's something about the nviews that I like more... If only someone had a cheap nview z350 for me... hehe... not that I don't like my z210... but 1280 would be nice...

good luck

OHP Help ??

Hi All,

I received my Nobo OHP last week, but i did buy it as faulty hoping for a quick fix !

But the power supply transformer has burnt out, and since the unit is so old, they don't have a replacement !!

So i'll use the optics out of this OHP to build a diy projector :)

Does anyone know of any contacts, who could re-wind and refurbish the transformer in the UK ??

Otherwise I'll have to look for another OHP now, just to keep this project moving ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

New prospects about using HI LEDs...

Hi all! This site caught my eye at around 1:30 PM this previous Saturday afternoon, and it is now approximately 17 hours later at 5:30 AM on the adjacent Sunday morning. :) You guys write some great stuff, and have amazing ideas.

Anyway, enough with the kudos.

I sincerely apologize if this link has been posted before, but I thought it cool enough that I had to try and see if anyone else had done this before. The old LEDs that Vince was using were roughly $1.50 each at 9000 mcd with 20 deg of dispersal (right vocab? I'm less than 20 hrs into this so please bear with).

Someone earlier mentioned using LED car headlights... I wasn't able to find *headlights*, but tail/turnlights were available on one website in particular:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

It has 12-LED arrays that are rated at 78,720 mcd with only a 12 degree viewing angle unit -- the smaller the angle the better it is for our projection purposes.

See their spec sheets here

A great part is, is that it uses a standard automobile 1156 or 1157 taillight receptacle -- available in any junkyard for next to nothing. Wouldn't be hard to buy an array of 12 or 20 of the receptacles.

The best part is the price! 12 LED array for only $6.99 US... that's about $0.59 per LED, and they're already arranged to accept 12 volt DC input.

By my calculations, to get 1,000,000 mcd (would that be 1,000 candle power?), it would take 12.5 of these... so an array of 18 or 20 should do the trick nicely. Granted, 20 of them would still cost around $150 US shipped, but does anyone think that this has feasability? If I only spent $50 on my LCD, I think I might be able to justify spending over $100 in LED's... if it was going to work.

What do you all think?

--Clint

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.