DIY Video Projector Part II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
projector submission form

This is just a start, but I have a form where you can submit your projector details, your name (alias), location and website and I'll add the information to a page with pooled info. Hopefully this collection will help new users and current users evaluate setups and order parts.

Check out the form

Check out the Results (so far)

oh, and btw, any and i mean any criticisms and suggestions are welcome. i realize this is a really basic form.

note to people

i have not tested my theory ,there for im not sure it works. but i should be done making and testing with in the next week cause i think i found a store in my town that has low-e glass in stock.im gona go cheak it out to day.the guy at the store said it gots a little tint to it and a little reflective on one side so im thinking that may be a problem cause tint is usally plastic and may melt, but the reflective side i think might not be a problem if i face it toward
the lcd panel. well in a hour im gona go cheak it out. ill tell you guys more on what i think of it after i see it.
:D :D :D :D

i got this stuff

at ebay i got this:
warbirdrelics.com Description: NEW F-1 Delta IV Projector Lens
Price: $25.00
STARAUDIO@AOL.COM. THIS IS A 5.6" COLOR LCD MONITOR WITH FULL FUNCTION REMOTE CONTROL. COLOR, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, AND POWER ON/OFF CAN BE ADJUSTED BY REMOTE CONTROL OR MANUALLY BY THE FRONT CONTROL BUTTONS. THIS MONITOR HAS A HIGH RESOLUTION OF 960 X 234 DOTS AND HAS A DOUBLE VIDEO INPUT. IT WORKS ON A 12 VOLTS POWER SUPPLY AND IS AUTO PAL/NTSC. CAN BE CONNECTED TO DVD, VCR, PLAYSTATIONS 1-2, TV TUNER OR CAMCORDERS. SHIPPING AND HANDLING IS $16.00 WITHIN THE USA. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MONITOR. $130.00

then i got this at the local stores:
two fresnel 8x11 (page magnifier) $5.00 each @ staples
flat black spray paint $5.00 about@ ace
roofing sheet metal $? @my house
one pack of 12"x12" mirrors 6 in a pack @ rite aid for$about $15.00
one sheet of 1/4" 4'x8' board @ my house $0.00 for you maybe $15.00 @home depot
3/4" screws @home depot $?
havac duct pipe thingy @ ace $? metal pipe or sheet metal etc. will work.
jig saw $?
glass cutter @ace $5.00
metal snips@ace $?
wire@radio shack$?
computer power supply? $?
extention cord@ ace $?

400watt metal halide bulb ms400/u ,mogul base socket,& ballast @electric distributers in gilroy but you can by one on ebay for less that $100.00 look at grow light section or metal halide.
and a soddering thing@ radio shack$?
and 1/4" low-e glass at home depot (they may have to order it)$?
and three 3" fans @radio shack $15.00 each it's a rip of i no but i should have when to a old computer salvage place and probly get them for $2.00 each

and then i still think you should think about what your doing cause for one i think i need some better stuff for instants a higher res. lcd panel cause when playing wide screen movies its not perfect due to lack of res. and same gose with those guys at the small diy projection forum, cause they're using low res. lcds.but i havent been there for a while maybe they found something that works.
:D :D :D :D

some of the guys said that the lens(es) have to at least be as big as the lcd but i think thats a crock of $h*t. they say that they cant get the full lcd to display,but when i used a 2" lens with my 27"t.v. along time ago,it displayed the whole screen.
the only reson why i got the deltaIV lens is cause i was stuppid and thought it had zoom capabilitys. i do agree that bigger and glass is better but for different reasons. why do i think bigger is better cause more room for more light to pass through. look up pin hole projection. i projected my computer 19"moniter through a 1/8"pin hole and 2" away on to a paper it projected the whole moniter screen(small and fade but the whole screen projected), there for im right there wrong well thats what i think. kinda like the ohp project some people are doing. the lens is only about 3"D. and there lcd i more than 8".
i no that my lens setup that i have has that problem with getting the whole screen but i think its because i can sorten the housing enough to ajust it to work the whole screen.
plastic lenses some work some suck and some dont work.

but after telling you this i really dont no what you should do or lens you should hook up with. maybe some one else can help you like undream or some one.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hello,

I've been interested in all of the great ideas going on in these threads. I have not fully committed myself to it but I am thinking about it. I have 2 broken Toshiba 510CDT laptops that I am willing to experiment with. Just one problem, they have a 12" viewable screen area. Any suggestions?

I have been looking for light sources and found some cheap stage lighting equipment. The Followspot lights may be something. Please take a look.

http://www.performingartssupply.com

Pages 23 & 24 of their catalog.

Hey Mike, Altman makes a large assortment of lens. Don't know exactly where to buy them but take a look.

http://www.altmanltg.com

http://www.altmanltg.com/parts/pdf/lensglas.pdf

biteon,
you are correct, projection lenses/objectives don't need to have the diameter of panels size. This is indeed bulls**t which has been over and over transported through several threads. If this was true there wouln't have been neither working commercial big panel projectors nor OHP/panel projectors !!
There's only one mandatory condition: Focal lenght of objective has to be minimal diagonal size of the panel ! Better more.
And another point: The use of only a single lens as projection lens will always end in poor results due to spherical abberations !! It isn't possible to focus image's center AND corners properly with only a single lens. It will only work good with correcting elements, doublets, triplets...
Some guys should correct their website informations about this, espacially for newbies!!!!

xblocker

Duo,
mostly after the first convex lense there's a concave lens cemented, followed by a third which is convex again. This is a common setup.
But there are also simpler objectives which use 2 convex meniscus lenses, my first OHP had this setup. If using more than one lens the formula goes like this: 1/f=1/f1+1/f2....+1/fn

This all has already been discussed in the 1. thread....

*_if_i_know,
are there any color LCDs without backlite but refexive foil built in?
If yes, it could work, but poorly, because you have no condensor, which collimates the lightbeam, like a fresnel mirror does.

xblocker

xblocker

Well, I'm not sure.

But I was researching and found a review of a projector, which stated that image quality, and efficiency of light was gained by reflecting the light off of the LCD. Of course it did not include any details of how this was done.

Oh it did state that micro-mirrors were used.

--- Probably each pixel area with its own concave mirror

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.