My LILLIPUT project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I saw that inline design and just had to try it out with my double ended 150w metal halide :)
I made a test version out of a pepsi bottle and a sprite bottle :D
The reflector is that parabolicis neck of a pepsi bottle (wrapped the inside with aluminium foil), I used the neck of the sprite bottle to support the pepsiflector and shoved the whole thing in a plastic pipe sawed of the pepsi bottle. I attached image of it to this post.

I'll attach image of the system lighted up on the next post and tell more about the results :)

HB

Attachments

• leoff.jpg
    leoff.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,108
Here it is lighted up. I got pretty nice light cone out of the thing, and weirdest thing was that the cooling worked so well that the plastic didnt melt or smoke or anything. When I shut it down after 45 minutes test run, and let it cool down for about a minute, I tested the "pepsiflector" with my finger and it was totally cool and in the original shape :\

When the thing was on, I tried to hold my hand in front of it at about distance of 15-20cm and couldn't hold my hand there longer then about 10-20 seconds...

HB

Attachments

• cannon3.jpg
    cannon3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 992
chasse said:
With a parabolic reflector all the heat is reflected in front of it,your challenge will be to get rid of that heat the best way you can.
How will you manage this?

Yeah I noticed... intence heat in front of the setup. I tried the system for a test run in the actual projector and it was too big for me to find a good position for it (I am retrofitting a commercial projector, so the positioning is weird...). Now I have a fat condensor lens and I dumped the soup ladle reflector. I positioned the lamp and condensor lens so that the image on the screen was as bright as possible, then I put the soup ladle behind the lamp and tried about all the possible angles for it and I saw no difference on the screen brightness :\

HB

The best way to do is to try it,put your lamp in your reflector and place a white piece of paper of the exact size of your lcd at the focal distance of your back frensel,if the paper is completly lit, the reflector will do the job if not ,try to play with your lamp in or out.

In my setup 5.5 inchs was the minimum size i could use.

chasse said:
The best way to do is to try it,put your lamp in your reflector and place a white piece of paper of the exact size of your lcd at the focal distance of your back frensel,if the paper is completly lit, the reflector will do the job if not ,try to play with your lamp in or out.

In my setup 5.5 inchs was the minimum size i could use.

Thanks! another question, what is your frensnel's size for 7" lilliput?

reflector - light source -(200mm)- frensnel - (arount 1cm) - LCD ---- PL

right?

chasse said:
My frensel is about a quarter of an inch larger than the LCD itself.

Thanks!

I am doing a test now... it seems the image is very dull... I didn't build a box for it yet... but bare system test, so there are some indirect/direct light on the screen.

I have a 120mm fan blow to the fresnes and lcd, fresnel is ok but I fell lcd is bit hot.

What is your distance between fresnel and lcd?
What is your distance between lamp and fresnel? (200mm?)

Thanks

Chasse,

In YWH's 250W lamp thread you mentioned spherical reflector in your current design; I thought you were staying with the parabolic reflector since your screenshots looked terrific.

Did anything change in your original design? Also why do you think ellipsoidal reflector will be best for your next design?

I bought a commercial projector since and they all have ellipsoid reflector,as a mentined in the ywh message even with a 400 ansi lumen this is really bright compare to my diy setup.You cant compare with anything if you dont have a commercial one.
The spherical reflector has a parallel beam and it has to be the same size the lcd and you cant adjust the size of the beam,one more thing the heat is projected in front of it and you have to deal with it.I will buy a 250 watt ac lamp from YWH to see the difference,it might be a big improvment even with my setup.I will have to change the ballast also.I will post result.

With dichroic ellipsoid reflector it will be easier to move the lamp in or out to have a good result with the beam,even with a 15 inchs lcd and the heat is reflected back,so no heat to the lcd.
The lamp ywh found is the best you can buy because it has a very short arc and has a good color temp 6500k.I can tell you the difference is very big.The white are white not yellow and the contrast is better too.

With dichroic ellipsoid reflector it will be easier to move the lamp in or out to have a good result with the beam,even with a 15 inchs lcd and the heat is reflected back,so no heat to the lcd.

what brand is your cdm 150? How much was it?

The parabolic reflector you are using. Do you have any more photos? How much intensity did you get compared to spherical design?

HELP ME Post #20
HELLO T800

What an amazing projector? You obtained really cool results, congrats!!

Well, I'm writing from INDIA and I have done a lot of searching and read different material pertaining to DIY LCD video projectors on various sites. As far as parts are concerned, it is very hard to find good resolution LCDs, lenses, lamps here as they are too costly and are not in much demand.

I've visited your link http://allinbox.free.fr/t800/t800.htm, but as I can not read French; I could not understand much (only saw your pics to get a basic idea). It would help if you could mention those lines in English language also on that page.

Six months back I started a project like yours after obtaining a car LCD monitor/TV (TFT) of 7" size, 600*480 resolution and tried the idea of reflective projection, but in vain. Now your project motivates me to restart the work again with the concept of diassembled OHP and transmissive projection. I had to disassemble my LCD monitor and while removing its case and backlight flex cable was detached from LCD screen and some part of the screen lost its display. Please tell me if it can be repaired or it is better to buy a new monitor or LCD panel like Sharp QA-1650 with VGA. How to increase the lengths of Flex cable?

You used a 7" Lilliput XGA monitor and optical parts from a 3M OHP projector 9550, right??? I would be very grateful if you send me the complete plan/schematic of your projector design with detailed specification of each part and their placement in ATX cabinet. Please send some close up snaps with step descriptions as your project progressed as not only the final look is enough.

Especially, how did you remove backlight from LCD monitor while disassembling it, how far are LCD, lenses, mirror, Fresenels (cut off sizes?) are placed from each other in the case etc. Any other possible lighting solution you know except your 250W HQI white light?

Thanx for reading my queries, PLEASE HELP SOON before I abandon the project and think that I can never do it.

Best regards,

ASHISH DUTT

EMail: ashishdutt2001@yahoo.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.