My LILLIPUT project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ACE

I tried to move the lamp a bit outside or inside but i had a hot spot or the frensel was not completly light.I miss a little bit of light on the lower side corner may be i have to lower the reflector a bit.

MATHIAS

Thanks for the good word.I tried the spherical reflector and condensor but the result was not bright enough for me.As soon as i put the big par reflector that was much more bright and decided to go that way.
I tried your idea to cut a par30 reflector with a zip cutter but i broke 3 of them ,it is very hard to make it right.My next PJ will be with a dichroic reflector like the one you used because all of the heat is reflected back.If somebody could sell them it would be the best setup for a 150 watt.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Thanks for the good word.I tried the spherical reflector and condensor but the result was not bright enough for me.As soon as i put the big par reflector that was much more bright and decided to go that way.

Im starting to forget the spherical way too, too much light gets lost, ive got roughly 65% of usable light running from the 250w hqi and thats about the best u can get it with that type of reflector, ive got a small eliptical coming in from the uk that i won on ebay last week, im going to see what i can do with it with a micro cdm-t bulb, who know's, it might work, although the arc is alittle big.

Ill see if i can find one of those parabolics u got here, if not i might buy one off ya cos i wana try that idea and see what modds i can do with it.

Trev

jtbullet

If you want to do ACE setup better for you to wait and buy his stuff.

My setup is different as i use a big parabolic reflector and a regular mirror behind the lcd,i bought my frensel at 3dlens and this is a 9 inchs focal.I found the parabolic in a 2 million candle lamp.

Chasse,

I will be using a similar bulb and metal reflector out of a spotlight like you. I was wondering how much heat your bulb/ reflector combo puts out? My plan is to use a piece of laminated glass directly behind my fresnel to block uv. However, the temp is crucial, and I want to run the minimum number of fans. Any details on heat/ temp would be most appriciated!:)

spectreag

You dont need uv filter since the 150 cdm have one,i use 3 fan in my setup.
I think the best way is to build a separate box for the light engine ,i have place a glass between the frensel and the mirror to keep the heat inside the box with a fan pushing air in and the other fan pushing air out.
With that kind of projector all the heat is projected in front of it,that's why the reflector stay cool,but the mirror run pretty hot and need a heatsing on the back of it to help a bit.If you could find a cold mirror with a heatsink it would be the best setup as all the heat will pass threw the mirror, right on the heatsink,but cold mirror are not sheap.

The heat is reflected on my mirror to the frensel and you need to cool this section too with a fan.
My reflector is 5.5 inchs wide and this is the minimum for the LILLIPUT.
Adjusting the bulb in the reflector is critical,if its not perfect you will have a hot spot or not even light.

chasse,

I have decided to go with an inline projector design. It will work best in my particular location. For blocking the heat I am going to use a hot mirror inside my light engine to reflect the ir back toward the bulb. This heat will be pulled out from around the gap between the bulb and reflector. I will attach a rough draft of the light engine design. If you are running three fans without any heat blocking material, I think that this design will work. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Attachments

• light eng2.jpg
    light eng2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,083
This is a bright idea,i know hot mirror let the light pass trew it and reflect the heat but i never try this way.
Most of the time mirror are use at a 45 degre angle.But your idea
should work.
I tried to block heat with ir filter but it is not effective at all and i removed it.
If you have a hot mirror big enough(very expensive) try it and let us know.

I dont have a cold or hot mirror in my hand but i would try this:

Take the mirror in front of a light , if you see the light through it,it should be a hot mirror.

For the cold mirror it should reflect the light as a normal mirror,but will let the heat pass trrough it.
You can take a 2 millions candle lamp(these lamp run pretty hot )and place it in front of the mirror,if you feel the heat on back of it without touching it,it should be a cold mirror.

A regular mirror will get hot when you try this.

lilliput

Could someone give me a little more info about the lilliput monitor? Is the vga model better than the car monitor? I want to get one but I am only going to plug my dvd set top into it. Do they have s-vid in or just composite? I can't find a website with much info on this. The screen specs look very simalar on both models. I was just wondering if the price difference is worth it since I wasn't going to use a computer with it.

Thanks

I dont know for the car monitor you are talking but mine has VGA and composite.I can tell you the composite video is not very good,i use only VGA with a computer.
I dont know if the LILLIPUT have a different model with s-video,maybe someones knows on this forum.

IR/UV HOT MIRROR

chasse,

I will be purchasing the hot mirror from a company called rosco. I've got their contanct info around here somewhere, but if memory serves their web site is www.rosco-ca.com . They are based in Canada and dont sell to the public, but they do have distributors. My enclosure is going to use a hot mirror slightly larger than the fresnel that I bought from ace, and I'm looking at a price of less than $100 usd total with shipping. Hope that helps you and anyone else who needs the info.

P.S. The product is UV and IR reflective.

chasse,

I ordered the philips cdm 150 with base and ballast. I was wondering if you had to cut your reflector to fit the bulb through? I can not seem to find the diameter of the bulb anywhere. I guess I will have to call philips. Let me know if you have any info on this subject. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.