VGA Pinout Wire Colors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!! I just got into this DIY thing and so far i like what i see. I just recently bought a nview spectra c and a buhl 2900 ohp. The lcd panel did not come with a vga wire unfortunately, so i am stuck either buying it or making one myself. I have a vga wire that i cut in half and a joystick port that i nabbed from a soundcard. now i just gotta figure out the colors for each wire for the vga. I did all sorts of searching to find which color goes to which pin, but i cant find a diagram or an explanation of the color/pinout . Here are the colors of the vga wires: grey, light green, pink, white, orange, red w/ stripe, purple, red, brown, brown w/ stripe, black, black w/ stripe, yellow, green and blue. I would appreciate it if someone could number these colors according to the pinouts. thanks in advance. :)

against all odds

I have cables listed all year long on ebay (seller's name uvodee)
and give 15 pct discount when diyaudio members buy ($20 including shipping usa-ca). A multimeter can do miracles as well....
But because you ask it

please do not start this if you don't know where the pin numbers are located.

db15hd this side is the one you do not alter!!!
1)brown
2)red
3)orange
4)salmon
5)yellow
6)dark green
7)light green
8)dark blue
9)NC
10)light blue
11) purple
12)grey
13)white
14)black
15)brown/black

DB15 Female
7)light green
2)red
11)purple
13)white
1)brown
6)darkgreen
8)dark blue
10)light blue
3)orange

that's all oh yes you also have a ground wire from connector base to connector base

J-P
as usual disclaimer am not responsible for any printed material!

i do not want to interfere

the question was not directed to me, but as I already gave a comprehensible reply, I feel I may post the following

pin1 analog R
pin 2 analog G
pin 3 analog B

this means that the first 3 pins of the vga connector are the RGB

when connecting them to them to the DB15 they, unfortunately loose their numbering as 1 goes to 7, 2 goes to 4 and 3 goes to 15 etc..etc...

I am affraid that it is not easy to determine the thickness of the inner wiring.

Also, and this is something I have noticed through experience the last six months, some obscure cable lot is going around in the North West
where these standard colors are not respected and more double colored wires are used. This should not be a problem as long as you do not alter one side of the cable and exposing the colored wiring! However it is a PITA.

J-P

Can anyone verify this?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks you all for your posts. Another question for you all. It seems that the manufacturer of my particular vga cable decided not to use a light blue wire. Now it comes down to two wires left. I have a wire that is black w/ stripe, and a wire that is red w/ stripe. Would anyone happen to know which wire is supposed to be the light blue wire? Thanks again.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Thanks you all for your posts. Another question for you all. It seems that the manufacturer of my particular vga cable decided not to use a light blue wire.

And thats exactly what i was going on about in my last post and its the reason why you wont find the colour codes on the net. Its because there isnt any, companies use the cables of their choice and all have slightly different colours, so the is no real colour code for vga cable's.

The best and realy the only way is to use a multimeter to define what colour cable is attached to its asigned pin number at the attached end.

Trev

how to stop the screen from jumping??

ok guys.. im new to this site.. but iv soldered the sires up right but it keeps jumping .. it's the best way to describe it.. i think it's something to do with the horisontal sync and vertical sync.. does anyone know where to wire those ones up??.. thanks:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.