Ideas Electric screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after doing some research, a come up to black-out cloth white is the best option.

I want to install a electric motor with a switch. ANY IDEAS??
I was thinking of adjusting a chain to the roll or tube, and a dc motor in order to control in which way it´ll rotate.

But the chain, will not be an option for me. I would need to attach the motor directly to the rool or tube.

ANy advices??

I have thought about this idea a long time ago since real electric screens cost a bundle. Just havent got the time to mess around yet. I was thinking of using an electric motor from car windows because they are cheap and can be found everywhere. I have to get one just to see if this can be done since they are already wired to go both ways and is 12 volts easier to work with. I dont know if smaller dc motors are strong enough to pull the screen. Remember you have to counter weight the screen somehow or it will fly everywhere with a little air. The hard part is how to make a housing for the whole thing that will look good. Alot of things to think about before we can start. Maybe someone who have access to an electric screen can give us more ideas. Later

I think actually a spring loaded spindle for thescreen would be better than counterweights. I've also had many a thinking fits over this, as the commercial motorized projectors are way expensive. Using window motors is a nice idea i think. 12V is easy enough to supply...
Off to think more about this

GUS said:
want to install a electric motor with a switch. ANY IDEAS??
I was thinking of adjusting a chain to the roll or tube, and a dc motor in order to control in which way it´ll rotate.
But the chain, will not be an option for me. I would need to attach the motor directly to the rool or tube.
ANy advices??

Ideas, You ask for Ideas?

look at this

www.cinemasource.com/articles/screen_types.pdf

read through it and you will have all the ideas you need.
Also for the motor, I bought one from allelectronics.com
Cheap and 100 pct functionning!

At your service!

Jean-Pierre

By the way

my screens are also black out cloth
one is mounted onto a frame ( 2years and not one wrinkle in the screen) the other is electric and on that one you can see that about 1 inch on both sides has a tendency to 'disform' but that is only 1 inch on each side, the screen is about 94 inches wide.

one piece bought at Joann's craftstore and one at WallMArt

it seems that a recent price change has been noted from several producers of specialty projector cloth
price has dramatically gone down, I have seenprices as low as $8 per ft, 54" high

it might be worth looking for it, Dacron, Da-Lite etc....

J-P

I GOT IT

I got a bidirectional motor, http://www.accesscontrolsales.com/catalog8/tti991.htm

well:
get a 2" tube, and at one end put a metal stick 3" inside tube and screw it to the roof. At the other end stick the motor pinion to the tube and screw the motor to roof.

this is how the motor works: if you switch it on, it will spin to the right. And if you switch it off and back on, it will spin to the left

Attachments

• t tavo.jpg
    t tavo.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 168
that is a good start

now....

combine the dimmer of the room llights with the curtain motor

so that when you turn the lights down, the curtain comes down.

You can do that yourselves or you can buy one of those all in control panels that have steering of
light
projector
exit lights
curtain motor
etc etc... all in
also dim functions

a bit more expensive than average equipment but priuces are dropping almost every day now.

J-P

almost exact

GUS said:
the correct http://www.accesscontrolsales.com/catalog8/tti990.htm

with a little math, this motor will take up to 3 min to roll up the screen, with a 6 rpm

as the cloth accumulates around the shaft, the diameter will become larger and the amount of cloth wrappingaround it will become more per turn. I would say it will not take more than 2 mins at 6rpm. for a regular 54 inch high cloth

What did you pay for yours?
I have a 18 rpm that I reduced to 9 rpm, paid 15bucks for it plus about 5$ for shipping I think. but it works on dc and is bidirectionnal according to the +&- I use a small joystick for that.

J-P

in colombia southamerica I paid 3 dls, for a 4.8 rpm ac bidirectional.

It is kind of hard to find one for about 30 rpm, for what i´ve been thinking. AC.

If I get a dc motor (car´s window motor), What transformer will I need in order for it to run good? how many amps does the motor need?

Who much time does an electric screen normally take?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.