DIY LCD projector with embedded media player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Thought this might inspire someone here.
I built a 100W LED projector using a salvages 14" Siemens Laptop monitor and one of the TV driver boards from China. Works great and give a good 10' x 8' image.
I heard about the new Raspberry Pi Zero mini ARM based computer and had the idea that I could turn my projector into a single box portable media centre. I got hold of a Pi Zero and loaded Openelec 6.0.1 which runs Kodi 15.2. Added a mini HDMI to HDMI converter and a USB hub. Powered the Pi with a 2A USB charger and the hub with a 1A charger. I added a IR remote sensor and used Lirc to detect an old remote I had lying around.
So now I have a stand alone projector which can play films up to 1080i at 1900x1200. It reads files off plugged in USB's, can stream content off of the internet via Genesis and other addons, and can stream satellite TV and terrestrial TV off of my main house Kodi media centre.

Total cost, about €130.00.

I know these big box DIY LCD projectors are old hat at this stage, but I am rather proud of been able to get an excellent end result for beer money.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.