Compaq MP1600 dlp projector repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!

My name is Max and i'm french. I have done sopme research, and understand how DLP projector works. I searched up and low about how to repair thoses. Basicaly, i've bought a cheap one on ebay, it works but has a color drift, the blues get black and the yellow and reds don't show much, the yellow is near transparent, and reds turn yellow to orange.
*I was thinking it could be three things, the cable, but that's verry optimistic.
*Or the filter which has gone either south in color or it's synchronizing which is bad.
*Or the input circuitry of the red or yellow which puts out too much or not enough light!

Can anyone help me to repair that one? I'd like to find a schematic for that compaq MP 1600 too. As for troubleshooting tools, i have two DMM and two osciloscopes, one ten mhz analogic and a five mhz digital. I know a bit about valve amps (well enough to work on sound cities) if that can give you an idea about my electronics skills.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Max.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
heya max take the colour wheel out and hold it upto the light, see if red is red, blue is blue ect, to me it sounds like your colour wheel is out of sync or its faded, eitherway if this is the case id replace the colour wheel and maybe if no good after that try to resync the colour wheel speed, a good way to test the sync is to make a total blue, red and green screen with a paint program in windows and see what colours u get projected, if u have a new colour wheel filter in place and the colours are out its definatley the sync that causing the probs.

Trev

Hi Trev!

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll test the wheel later on! With the screens first, what is the base color? Green blue and red, but what exact color, i have photoshop, therefor i can manage a good color. As well, i've opened it earlier on, and the wheel seems to have faded. Doesn't look verry red to me, viewed from an angle.

Best regards.

Max.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi everybody!

Hi trev.

Well, it's not the wheel, as the colors are ok! It's either the synchronization, or the input circuitry. Anybody has an idea on what to do next? How to check the circuit, and the synchronization of the wheel. the test with blue red and green screens didn't work at all. None of theses were restituted the proper way. Thought i can have reds and blues, on some pictures fidling with photoshop.

Best regards.

Max.

If you think about it, the color wheel doesn't start and stop in the same place every time. And over time the motor may spin it up to speed slower that it did when new. So there has to be a sensor near the DMD device to tell the DMD what color it is right now or was a click ago. Mabye this sensor is bad. Perhaps the wheel is on backwards? If it is a rgbrgb wheel and was on the wrong way, when the sensor saw blue, the dmd would think red is next when the actual color would be green. That would cause funny color shift. How many hours on this thing? The motor itself may have cashed in because it no longer maintains speed. After rereading you post I think the latter is likely. Does it ever flicker? does the shift slowly get worse and then get better all the sudden?

Hope i gave you some ideas,
Brad

Hi everybody!

Brad, thanks a lot for the reply! Yes you gave me ideas. I was looking at the sensor earlier on, and vas wondering about that thing, it has two litle leds. The wheel is a blue red green and white one. and can't be put backwards i think. I've received a reply from HP/Compaq.

Here it is "Hello Mr. D,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to send you a schematic of the
digital projector as it HP confidential material. However, I do
have some suggestions that you may try.

Firstly, try adjusting the color saturation as well as the color
temperature in the on screen display. If this fails to correct the
issue, try a factory reset. Try connecting the projector to a
different source using a different cable. If the issue is not
corrected, then the issue is most likely being caused by the projector
and not by the video source or the cable.

If the projected image including the on screen display, are tinted
with a certain color, and the above steps have failed to resolve the
issue, the projector will need to be sent in for service. To set up
this service please contact technical support at the following number:
0892 69 60 22 Mon-Fri 8:30-18:00.

This should resolve the issue. If you need further assistance, please
reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Tim

Factory reset gonna be the next step. And in the meantime, if anybody has a schemo and is willing to share it, i'd apreciate. Or if ever someone knows which pot to turn to slow or speed up the wheel. Or adjust the colors. I'm afraid i'm such a newbie to this, that i need someone to walk me through.

Best regards.

Max.

i think your doing great , would be even better if you could show some pics of the inside of the projector. I am quite curious about how these things look (i.e. i don't have a clue how the dlp chip looks like ,or how small all parts are (probably very very small compared to our 15" tft-projectors))

I also have Compaq's MP1600 and it would seem I have the same problem, except that it appears after one hour of use. It doesn't seem to lose any of the main colors, but the outcome is like watching true color photos with 16 or 256 color palette.

The problem starts with flickering image at somewhere around 40 minutes of use, and it starts to flicker more and more until after 60 minutes it stays that way.

I bought another one for parts, so I have all the parts except the power source. Any suggestions what to replace first? I'd also be interested to know how to take this thing apart the right way.

Thanks.

Thanks!!!!

Hey, just wanted to drop a note to you guys.. I'm glad I found this thread. I had bought an MP1600 used and got a good deal.. then about a month later - after using it for an hour or so, the colors would distort on the screen. Was afraid my good deal had turned into a bad deal... but after reading the posts on here... opened it up .. cleaned my color wheel.. and .. back in business.. !! Just wanted to say thanks..... saved me a bunch of money.!!!

APz said:
I also have Compaq's MP1600 and it would seem I have the same problem, except that it appears after one hour of use. It doesn't seem to lose any of the main colors, but the outcome is like watching true color photos with 16 or 256 color palette.

The problem starts with flickering image at somewhere around 40 minutes of use, and it starts to flicker more and more until after 60 minutes it stays that way.

I bought another one for parts, so I have all the parts except the power source. Any suggestions what to replace first? I'd also be interested to know how to take this thing apart the right way.

Thanks.

APz said:
Well folks, looks like I found the problem. The color sensor was covered by a thick layer of dust. To make sure, I threw in a new one, and looks like the good ol' warhorse is back in the game :)

Hi,

i got the same Problem. I realy need to geht this Projektor fixed, but as i opened it i didn't realy know what to do. Now that i read this, i know i have to clean the Colorsensor. But can someone tell me were the Colorsensor is? :xeye: couse i have no idea.

Thank You!

I own a MP 1800 and i need a light source

Please help me on my quest for a good light source !
the mp1800 is like 1600 (very small and the light must be very well focused).

The original light source is a VIP lamp 120W,7500K,7000 lm and it can focus all the light in a 1 cm diameter hole(it don't have any optics to concentrate light on the colorweel)

i've tested a 150W halogen with a diapositive optics and i think this is the wrong approach
It has to be a good reflector, no optics
Is MSD 200//2 lamp any good?
and where can i find a good reflector(parabolic,very deep)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.