Simple passive 3D, single panel!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok... the quest has been long... but tonight I finally managed to get a passive 3D projected image.
I used an LG Cinema 3D LCD panel and was having trouble getting it to project in 3D... I could see that the image had both left and right... but it wouldn't view correctly with the glasses.
Tonight I tried some fault finding... putting the backlight back in in case somehow that was where the polarizing was coming into play... and at first look it was working... so I put it back into my projector and I was back to square one... but then I noticed the other side of the panel... and decided to look at that with the glasses on and low and behold it worked... so, I took the panel and turned it around... Voila! 3D projected image.. now granted it is currently flipped back to front, though if memory serves people have been known to use mirrors in their projectors to primarily make smaller boxes but I may be able to use the same trick in order to right the image and the mirror should keep the same polarity anyway.

The biggest laugh of the whole experience, it turns out my feature wall which is purple (and where I hang my commercial projector screen)... must have some degree of aluminium flaking or something in it because it actually reflects the polarized image correctly to allow 3D viewing!

So people can stop worrying about having to get two projectors or two panels etc... grab a nice (these days pretty cheap) passive 3D monitor and stick it in your projector, no need to worry about image splitters or anything like that, I ran mine straight through my PS3 and played the Star Wars Pinball demo... yes that's right my first projected image was of ATAT walkers in 3D!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.