Metal Halide impact on polarisation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if a metal halide lamp can alter an LCD panels viewable polarisation? I ask because I have recently placed a passive 3D LCD panel in my DIY projector and I can't seem to get a 3D image out of it. I am aware that the projection screen needs to be able to reflect polarised light and I ran some tests beforehand to confirm that my surface can (I'm using an aluminium spray paint and under my quick test scenario it did retain at least a portion of the polarity of light shone at it). My reason for suspecting the lamp is because when I look directly at the LCD panel in the projector I also do not get the 3D effect... might the lamp or possibly the fresnel lens between the lamp and screen be throwing the light in such directions as to render the polarisation of the LCD panel itself useless? Any suggestions for what might be causing my issue and or suggestions of tricks to regain/obtain my 3D projected image?

Light from a light source is multi polarised and needs to be bent so it is only one polarity. Bang & Olufsen came up with a lens that sits after the heat shield and before the LCD units that is cut like an antenna to reflect light of the wrong polarity back and reflect it forwards after the polarity is changed by 180degrees with the fresnel mirror. So to get maximum light through an LCD immager, the light must be polorised or half of the light does not get through the LCD unit. If the LCD panel is the wrong way around, it gives odd effects. Don't look at the light as it will cause headaches, a bit like arc welding!

Thanks for the response... I'm not sure if I made my question clear though. I can get an image and can view a movie as per normal, what I can't get is the 3D effect due to the polarisation seemingly not being maintained from the LCD panel. When I say I looked directly at the panel in the box I don't mean looked directly through the front (therefore in line with the light source) I was looking from the top of the box at an angle (which may have had an impact one whether I could see the correct polarisation of course). Having said that... the Band & Olufsen lens, is that available somewhere... what sort of cost is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.