What to use as screen - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2004, 10:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

http://www.da-lite.com/products/prod...?cID=19&pID=84

Glass bead makes a huge HUGE difference.

Milo
Old 23rd April 2004, 12:56 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

This is an explanation of screen gain.

http://www.da-lite.com/education/ang...ils&issueid=48

Milo
Old 28th May 2004, 06:03 PM   #33
dantho is offline dantho  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default PVC as screen material

Hi, I would like to mention that 1mm white PVC is a great (and inexpensive) projection material. Sheets can be bent, drilled and heat-folded even heat-welded to one another, sanded, painted (if necessary) and come in sizes of 1m x 2m and larger.

be certain to ask for non-glossy, matte, seidenmatt, or brushed!

application from my studio: http://horopter.net/diploma/displayimage.php?pos=-72
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:08 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I once made a screen using a 'roll-up' bathroom blind.

It was actually quite effective - very cheap too

It has the benefit that it can be ceiling mounted and kept rolled when not in use.

Typically, you can find them at your local DIY superstore; they come in a range of colours, the one I used was white but you can also get them with a slightly silvered finish which may be even better for projection.

For stability when using this type of screen, it helps to extend the blind 'pull-cord' so it reaches to the floor and have a cable-tack that you can hook the cord onto.
Old 15th June 2004, 04:19 AM   #35
Dwiel is offline Dwiel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Testing Paint

Hello, I am rearranging my room and so am going to need a screen (not a wall like I am currently using). My white wall seems to work very well, and I would like to avoid lossing much quality. If I make a screen out of a solid material and paint, is there a good way to test different paints without having to buy a million of them? Everyone seems to have done test and I can never find the paints they used etc. Is there a cheap way I can test out the paints at a local retailer?

Also, my room is filled with white walls, and when I get bright scenes, the screen gets somewhat flooded. If I were to hang some black cloth and the wall that will be close to the screen so keep ambient light down, will this help any? Do white walls close to the screen effect the washing out or is it simply screen material or is it some of both? If both, which has a greater effect?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2004, 06:00 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jaws2421
Hi fellas...lol welcome the nub. What i am using for the screen is used in showers and comes in a sheet that is 4' x 8' and is .09 inches thick. For the life of me i cannot remeber the name. On one side of the board it is rough and bumpy and if you just look at that, you'll turn it down as an option. If you turn the board over, you'll notice a very eye pleasing flat white board. I haven't done it yet, but I am going to dust the board with a high heat Aluminum enamel since someone already tried that spray on formica laminate and had a gain of 1.1-1.5 with black borders. The sheet came out to aroun $21 including tax from home depot and was found near the wood isle. Ima look around and see if I can't find the name of the board. If you want to see a pic, jsut let me know.
Old 12th July 2004, 01:50 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

jaws2421,
do you have any pictures you can show us? Did you ever find out what this material is called?
Old 12th July 2004, 03:14 AM   #38
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Wel, that's funny, i was just looking around and found this forum asking what do you use as a screen?

Well, normally I use a seventeen inch computer monitor like most everyone else, but I just set the comptuer up in the living room for a movie, so the screen is now a 52" rear-projection tv.

Fancy that I'm looking at the forums while I'm sitting in the living room eh?
Old 12th July 2004, 08:10 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I am using Blackout cloth retrofitted onto roll-up blind.
Vinly blind: smooth and bright texture, hotspot issure, waves
Blackout cloth: heavier in weight, softer picture but less wave patterns, no hotspot problems

Another screen material is of type Acoustic Transparent (sound travel through the screen which mean speakers can be placed behind it). I experimented with some grey speaker grill cloth I had bought from SoundDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~...Grille+Cloths.

Advantage: richer colors and acoustic transparent.
Disadvantage: light behind the screen must be controlled. Screen must be double layered.

Bottom line: I believe that similar fabic can achived acoustic transparency.
Old 13th July 2004, 02:46 AM   #40
MovLab is offline MovLab  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Silverscreen

Hi All:
Check this out!
I'm Going With this...
MovLab....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=390146

Hide this!Advertise here!