What to use as screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Salt

seenalot said:
You would be able to see every salt crystal and it would just create a lot of noise in the picture. I bet it would drastically kill the contrast.

You're probably right; while I think the grain size wouldn't be noticeable for a large screen, I'd bet the varying refraction and reflection angles would generate an uneven sparkly effect. Spheres don't have sides, so you don't get that problem.

Here in The Netherlands a bunch of us have gone for the Ikea Tupplur 'rolgordijn' (roller blind? / window shade?).

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=10101&storeId=9&langId=-22&productId=49066

It's cheap, it's thick, it's matte/soft, it's slightly darker than white, it comes in different sizes, it's cheap and it rolls!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The very sides curve in slightly, but it's hardly noticeable.

juice_e said:

What is killz and where could you get it? How is the quality of the picture? Have you tried other screens that you can compare it to?

All I can compare it to is a white shower curtain :) Killz is a water based primer that I bought at Home Depot. I've also seen it at Wal-Mart. Make sure you get the water based Killz- much easier to work with. I think the quality is pretty good- I still need to attach a border.

janneman said:
Hi Guys,

Anyone has any experience with the stuff from this outfit?

http://www.goosystems.com/index.php?cont=which

Jan Didden

Yoshi formerly of Tech TV recommended it one of his last shows... wow that was over a year ago... He used it on blackout cloth with great results.

Supposedly there was a small improvement in black levels between the cloth alone and the painted material... that made me want to go out and buy it right away, cause I’m the "king of perfection."

I didn't cause my wife is the "queen of not spending money when the current blackout cloth is working just fine." So I’ve only used the cloth for my box.

Now I’m looking at a larger screen size than I can stretch from fabric and thinking about buying some of the goo myself.

Let me know if you like it.

Paul
www.paulbillett.com

I use three pieces of large white foam board from staples for $17. It makes a 108" wide screen. You could hardly see the split between the boards. But actually my wall paint works very well for the top and bottom on full screen because I could hardly tell where the edges of my boards are.

My DIY screen

My screen is a PVC product that sign writers (does anyone actually still write signs?) stick the laser cut letters to. It comes in 2400mm x 1200mm x 3mm for less than $100.00...

I think it reflects and awesome image...

Mark

Attachments

• sw3 image 15.jpg
    sw3 image 15.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,155
I need a (approximently...) 7' by 9' screen. My diagonal is 120" and all I have set up is a couple of 1"x3" studs with a tarp under, and a bed sheet on top.... its sucks.

any suggestions? I dont want to spend $75+ but I do not want to loose any screen size at all. im used to the massive screen. I guess I could sew 2 blackout clothes together but i think the seem would show way too much.

thanks.

Styrofoam

Hey, I found a really good material for use as a screen. It's blue styrofoam thats typically used as an insulator. It comes in sheets of 4' x 8' If you want anything more than 4' tall, what I've done is cut two pieces to 5' x 4' and line them next to each other and use packing tape to connect them. THe result is a really nice picture and always goona be flat. The picture just as good as the blackout cloth I have ued in the past.

winddancer said:
i just bought a dlp projector and am going to have friday movie nights at my house i found that the white vinyl shower curtain heavy duty works great i put 4 of them together and have a screen of 10'x13' for $6.00 each used white duck tape to put together

These sound pretty good. Where did you get them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.