What to use as screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Printer paper werks!

I got 30 peieces of printer paper, scotch taped 'em together, and watta ya know! I've got a DIY Projection screen. It works alot better than my my white wall and has high quality results!
Ha, I'm just kidding LOL! :smash:

I really use a bedsheet attatched onto a skinny peice of wood to keep out wrinkles. I hang it from the auning attatchments and it works pretty good. There's always room for improvement, but no need really.

Here is the front picture (hope it works)

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,141
suggestion

Here's what I did with my black out cloth:

screen

and a close up

I used little one-sided metal eyelets, and two-piece gromets for the corners (the big ones). Both is available in a hardware store. For the eyelets, you'll need one of these hole puncher pliers, with the right stamp and anvil. Should be in stock. Little tip - go for the better ones, I first bought a cheap one in a set, and it bent while I was doing the first eyelet...

It took me quite a while ironing the cloth, and there are still some minor wrinkles. In frontal projection, they are not visible, though. The cloth is not warping, (just a little left and right, but that doesn't matter) and it is easily rolled up if necessary. To get it absolutely smooth, it would be better to build a full frame, and stretch it from all sides.
The solution with the eyelets and the free-running string over the steel rods has the advantage, that the forces are equally distributed over the whole edge. And I quite like the look of it...

I at present have a screen up on the wall but its abit out of place when not in use.
i've got a pull down curtain roller which i got from the curtain shop, I am playing around with making an automatic screen but having the screen roll up out of a shelf. Part of my design project.
when i get all the planning done i will post them if anyone wants.

What to use for my InFocus X1

I just purchased my first Projector three days ago. I would like to make my own screen. Right now I am using just my white wall and the picture is pretty decent. However I having nothing to compare that to.

I have gone thru most of the forums and noticed that Blackout Cloth has been mentioned quite a bit. My question is this.. Would blackout cloth work with the Infocus X1?

-Sidster

Art Board?

Hi, I'm new but I do have an experience to relate concerning screen material. Several years ago I moved in to a large house that had one of those old 80s 3 crt front projection big screen TVs. The actual projector was directly under the screen and bounced of a mirror that folded out from the base cabinet onto the 5' x 3' (aprox) screen. The screen was damaged in the center but otherwise the thing worked ok. One of my roomates went to a "arts & crafts" store and got a piece of silvered/grey foam core piece of posterboard that fit almost perfectly. It worked almost perfectly except that those old screens were concave and we didn't want to deform it too much and create wrinkles. If someone makes a larger (4' x 8') board it would seem to be what several people have created from boards and silverish paint. Or for someone like me with a small apartment the 5' x 3' might be enough.

Bedsheet

I was disappointed to hear that Lori that a Bedsheet wasn't working out. I converted my listening room into AV when I bought my BenQ projector.

The problem I have is that my speakers are built in to the wall, I would like to cover the woofers by stretching a bedsheet-like material over a frame and mounting it on my wall over the woofers. The high frequency speakers are on the outside and would not be covered.
Jut for now, I have a 6 foot wide plastic window screen mounted on the wall covering the woofers, but it has na effect on the sound and jiggles all over the place when the speakers are used.

Any thoughts?

Jack

I got mine at Jo-ann Fabric. It really is called "Black Out Cloth" it comes on a piece of wood. It is 48" 'tall' and you simply bring the large wooden spool to a counter where they cut whatever length it is you want. I got 3 yards, about 10 meters, and it was between 20 and 25 USD, I don't remember exactly.

Did anyone ever try mixing a lot of salt into a clear oilbased varnish and painting it onto a white board? I thought someone mentioned trying that. It would seem that all those little salt crystals, being perfect cubes, would work as retroreflectors. Or would the refraction through the top faces distort the beam too much? I think it's something that can't really be predicted, just tried. I guess a person could also spread salt onto a tacky varnished board, brush off excess when dry, then paint a protective layer of varnish on top.

Whatever, it was something that captured my interest once, wanted to know if anyone's tried it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.