help needed 3M S10 ballast byepass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi experts
i am neel from canada, very impressed by this forum...
my 3M projector lamp is blown ...price is expensive... need help to byeballast.
i strip down whole projector to reach optocoupler...
there is four wire goes to main board
purple + 3 brown ( picture attached for your review )

based on your experience, want to pick up your memory ...can you suggest among of four wire which two suppose to shorted ???

Thanks in advance...help appriciated

Attachments

• main_board.jpg
    main_board.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 2012-12-11 16.46.41.jpg
    2012-12-11 16.46.41.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 113
hello sir,
thanks a lot for help, i will try tomorrow and update here !!!
but this way i can't remove ballast completely from PJ !!! isn't it ?
more over this is on ballast side hack. in general we prefer mainboard side
i am OK with this, but just curious to know is any other option that i completely remove ballast from PJ ??

again thanks a lot for help..i will update tomorrow

Last edited:
hello sir,
thanks a lot for help, i will try tomorrow and update here !!!
but this way i can't remove ballast completely from PJ !!! isn't it ?
more over this is on ballast side hack. in general we prefer mainboard side
i am OK with this, but just curious to know is any other option that i completely remove ballast from PJ ??

again thanks a lot for help..i will update tomorrow

hi,
i powered the PJ, disconnect from ballast side, and tried to measure the voltage (coming from main board) the purple (1) has 12V DC next (2) is ground.... what you suggested that is (2,3)
if i trace the opto legs it shows me wire number ( 2,3) if i short both
it might allow me to remove ballast complete from PJ...

i will update tomorrow everything .....

thanks a lot for help

Attachments

• 2012-12-11 16.46.41.jpg
    2012-12-11 16.46.41.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 104
Hi,
Thanks a lot to this forum specially !! bizylle42 !!
i short both wire on Mainboard side and remove completely ballast from PJ
now i have a little room for helogen or xenon psu....

thanks again !! bizylle42

i post the picture of moded mainboard ...for reference it might useful for anyone has same type OR same model

Attachments

• main_board.jpg
    main_board.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 101
halogen bulb temperature is too high,you have to insert a 55W xenon 6000k color temperature instead of halogen lamp. Link:Porta photo album

thanks for help, currently i have 30W high power LED
which claim 2700 lumen, but it works in dark room...but not satisfied
i need 100w high power LED...but it is expensive.

just wanted to know...as you suggested 55w XENON HID is as good as original lamp ?? or i need 100W HID xenon ???

is XENON works cooler ??

thanks in advance...help appriciated

You will achieve the best results if you use your original ballast and put xenon 120 Wat. Your original ballast is compatible with the xenon-120 watt. Remark: your ballast must have the original ignition voltage between 15kV - 25kV. You can try it. If you have any problems with xenon launch you have to wind some coils as on the photo below: http://e-fotek.pl/images/22978284528942978079.jpg

Xenon is a little bit cooler than UHP

Your original ballast which was in the projector had the power 130W. If your projector has a function "eco lamp mode", switch your projector to this mode, and the power will be at the level about 100W. In this case You can connect and use the 100W xenon car. (All the time we are talking about the ballast what you had in your projector). If your projector does not have the "Eco mode" you have to reduce the power of ballast to 100W. Remark: Just for fun (a few seconds.), you can connect for example, xenon 55W.
If the lamp ignition voltage is too low you have to coil some wire on the burner. SAVE PRECAUTIONS CAN EXPLODE! Could you send on my private e-mail photos of your original ballast, please? If you use 100W lamp, the life time of the lamp will decrease about at half. You can try.

hi,
thanks for advice and suggestion, original is 130w lamp so,as you mentioned 130w HID xenon will work same as original, lamp life is preety much same 2000 Hours, of course way cheaper then original, i tried to find 130W hid xenon ,cost $50 to $70 around
i am also thinking about hi power 100W Array LED , i have already 30W LED
which i just install in pj , it works great (completely dark room ), of course low on light but acceptable ,

based on 30W hi power LED i am sure 100W will be close to original
good side is , LED + Driver is cost $50 Ebay, and life span is 50000 HR
if this chinese S**T works half of they claim, still it is 25000 HR
pretty much 10 time more than HID xenon as well origianl,

i will post 30W LED real time pj working picture tomorrow ..
if any one want to try hi power LED go with 100W ...don't spent money on 30w ( i did mistake )

Thanks again ...for your help

i need info if possible.
original ballast is feed by 380V DC ...can any one help me step down
( circuit diagramme ) to 32 VDC , 3 AMP constant current LED Driver ???
so i can run 100W LED direct

many many Thanks for help

Happy holidays

Just read what you are trying to do... I think it's BEST is to get the AC LED 100W Driver and make a Separate Switch for it. That's what i'm planning to do with mine. This way it will be less headache later on... If something go wrong... Like Burnt LED you can just replace the LED by itself rather than trying to replace the Driver and the Led...

Let me know what you think and if you figured it out a different ways to redo your Lamp.

Please post some pix when you are done. Thank you!:D

hello sir,
my projecter is up..and working with 30W led , but brightness is low, i tried but couldn`t take picture. ..sorry for that..

can you poit me AC LED 100W driver.cercuit diagramme. how much is price for driver and LED ...can we do it DIY

thanks

Hi, here is what I bought today for my Projector Ebay Item: 370726857860 - 100W White High Power LED Lamp+ Driver + Lens Reflector.

Although the Driver Output is only 2800mA which make the LED less bright, but it won't be much... I rather have a little LOW so the LED last longer...

You can get 1 that is 3000mA Output if you like but like I said low Amps Output will lead to longer LED Life.

All you need is a switch and TAP into your AC Power and control this Driver Separately just incase FAILURES... Less Headaches in future. You can also get an adjustable Switch and control the Brightness too if you like. Less LED Output= Longer LED Life.

Hope that will help ya!

:D

thanks for reply and share info. my 30W LED is same. i am also working on same product but for driver i am thinking ebay item#380485637841, which has adjustable constant current. (but input is not AC).
bcoz i read in few other forum that differece in 2.7 AMP and 3.0 AMP CC. is vast differece in output. you are abselutely right that lower amp will give longer life to LED i am 100% agree , this LED is rated for 3.0 to 3.1 , with adjustable cc. if i can adjust 2.9 Amp insted 2.7 ....i guess still safe. bcoz touch down then rated amp.

but still i didn't finalized yet. bcoz this chinese s**t says 2.8 but if it is 2.5/2.6 we can't see differece. more over this is fixed CC psu. so we can't do anything after.

if you are electronic nurd. may be you can modify with potentio meter. to adjust but i am not good.
i have to measure my 30w LED PSU which is same fixed CC, it souppose to 1 AMP bcoz original ratings of led is 1.05 to 1.1 AMP .if it is 1 AMP precision i will think to buy this 100W fixed psu

thanks

Last edited:
i forgot most important thing....what about cooling system you decide ??
bcoz i found on other forum ...hi power LED must be operated under 45/50 C.
if temp. increase it try to drow more amps. ...low the life span.

most of recomend liquid cool syst. that run this LED aprox 38/40 C which is perfect.
if you just want to use solid aluminium(heat sink) must be minimum 8X3.5 inch with fan.

standard size pc processer's heat sink and fan will not work...

this is info. what i found from other forum ..i am sharing with you

Well, if 3000mA = 9000 Lumens then 2800mA would only get 8400 Lumens... Right?

8400 Lumens / 33% Loss? = 5628 Lumens Output?

But with LED Lens... You might get 20% Loss rather than 33% perhaps?

Even if I get 4000 Lumens out of 100W LED would work for me.

But this is just for learning... The time spent on this and the cost of mistakes.. I have better LUCK working at Walmart or Mcdonalds for $10 per Hour... I just have to work 12 hours and get a new Bulb and forget about this CRAP, LMAO

Anyways, let me know what you think?

hi,
this is about to run PJ on cheapest method, if we buy $150 /$250 lamp this forum dosen't exist at all,also you use PJ on certain time only bcoz of life span of lamp and hydro bill...not as regular TV
this is all about DIY test and learn..also work and headache involved but life span of LED is excellent ...also depend on personal intrest too...
if things works fine...you have satisfaction of low price things start to work...more then that pleasure of screwing big buck sucking lamp gients....

thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.