DIY Rear Projection TV - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2003, 03:35 AM   #21
nmd_sb is offline nmd_sb  United States
diyAudio Member

also in Home Depot (Hardware store) I have seen white translucent plastic board, I dont know what its used for, I am guessing Kabuki theatre or strip tease maybe.

I bet that will also work great.
Old 16th November 2003, 04:15 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Has anyone used a screen from Harkness Hall, there pretty cheap.

I got lucky at work the other day. I know the A/V guy at work pretty well, and they have an 1997 RCA 60" RP that they've had to fix one to many time, and he gave me first dibs on it. I should have it home next weekend and gut it out, once I get my projector inside and working, I get one of the "Harkness Hall" screens to do a comparison, if it's good I'll construct a bigger unit.
Old 16th November 2003, 05:04 AM   #23
nmd_sb is offline nmd_sb  United States
diyAudio Member

hi ds21
if you're not going to use teh RCA lens, can I have it?
Old 16th November 2003, 07:29 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

nmd_sb, I'll keep you in mind.
Old 30th November 2003, 01:00 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
hehehe wow! have a look at that mother of a frensel, i thought i throw this link in here as this place makes custom frensels and custom sizes, not sure of the price though will need to email them, would be good for a screen.

http://www.ntkj.co.jp/products-e.html

Trev
Old 7th December 2003, 01:14 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default rmccoll,

you night want to check this out, could solve your problems with the hotspot, it's a large Fresnel lens 31" x 40" it's the cheapest I've found, and it's light so shipping shouldn't be much.

http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=9039

if you want bigger! here's one 38" x 50" for $100 plus a lot for shipping:

http://www.alltronics.com/lenses.htm

Havn't found a good place for a Lenticular lens (the grooved one that you feel on the front, but I'm thinking you can get by without it (it the lens that spreads the light out to the sides for viewing of angle) just put the Giant frenel behind what your using now.

I just did a quick test with my gutted 60" RCA and can say this will look incredibe!!! I only live in a small appartment so the limit of 60" is no problem for me. just have to figure out new optical arangment to shorten focal length so I can fit it all inside the TV.
Old 7th December 2003, 03:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Thank you And Thank you again, you just saved me alot of time, I was going to use a dremel and a circle guide to cut every little grove into a sheet of plexi-glas to try and make a fresnel lense you savee me alot of time.
Old 8th December 2003, 02:42 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Now that I have a large fresnel lense I'm going to rebuilt my tv to make it look more professional and brighter. I'm also rebuilding my projector using a gameboy adavnce screen I know people will say that my picture will have a low resolution but I bought a A/V adapter from www.lik-sang.com and was convinced, the picture it produce was better than I thought for a resolution of 160X240 that only equals 38400 pixels, but I'm going with it, I'm just trying to get it built.
Old 1st January 2004, 12:55 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Its been awhile since I have posted but I have made alot of progress. Instead of using a gameboy advance as my screen I'm using a Casio portable TV it's 3'' inches and the resolution is 115,000 which is good enough for me it's way better than 39,800. For my light Iam using a 100 watt halogen bulb it's really small about 3 inches long by 2 inches high. I'm using a condesner lense system I got from a old slide projector because they are 2 in. in diameter and it focus light really well.
I will post picture of my setup tomorrow. I ordered a camera from ebay and it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 1st January 2004, 07:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

If your into the whole rear projection thing then here's something for you to aspire to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banner999[1].jpg (11.3 KB, 4217 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!