anyone dismantle an active shutter 3D panel? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 07:24 AM   #1
blennus is offline blennus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default anyone dismantle an active shutter 3D panel?

I used to be on the Lumenlab forums but they have died (in a hail of controversy). I currently enjoy my 1080p DIY projector but I want to upgrade to 3D... I know I can take a 2 projector approach but I want to stick to just a single panel and assume that this should be possible by using an active shutter glasses panel.
Has anyone taken apart an active shutter glasses 3D panel and know if it would be useable for a DIY projector?
Also what is the smallest active 3D LCD I could possibly use? I'm aware that there are some laptops with 3D panels that run on full HD (which is preferred though I may be able to drop to 720p if it means everything else will work fine).
In doing some research it sounds as though there may be some issues with controller boards for laptop screens and using them in 3D mode? Does anyone know if this is the case and if anyone has had any success in using a laptop panel could they advise as to the model and the accompanying controller board.
Thanks for any help and if there is a better forum for me to be posting these questions to I'm than happy to be directed to it.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I suspect from the page views that many would like to know if this can be done... I haven't had much luck searching elsewhere for details on a teardown but theoretically it shouldn't be that hard. If I'm not mistaken the main difference with these monitors and standard monitors is that they run at a higher refresh rate and therefore are able to send two separate images to the screen fast enough to use with the shutter glasses... other than that there should be minimal difference.
I'm expecting an inheritance in the near future so I may keep an eye on any specials (just because I will have a little more money doesn't mean I can afford to throw it away). If I end up finding one and giving it a try I will be sure to post on how it goes... in the mean time though I really hope someone else tries or knows where I can find out more about the guts of one of these 3D Active panel LCDs.
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well just to add to my own thread... I have now torn down a Samsung S23A950D active 3D monitor... a sliced finger later and it is installed in my projector, the only problem is that I bought the LCD cheap as it has a vertical band issue which I was hoping would be resolved without the backlight but looks like I might have to get creative with FFC's... but on the other side of things... theoretically it is possible this will work with 3D... I don't have glasses to test yet (as they didn't come with the LCD... seller says their son broke them)... if I can get the FFC issue sorted I will invest in some glasses and report back as to the success! (or not).
Old 4th May 2014, 02:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Please keep us updated. I'm very interested in this, as are many others here, I'm sure.
Old 4th May 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If we still had access to the Lumenlab forum's I suspect I could fix my issue... but not having prior experience with fixing/replacing FFC's I'm not sure how to go about correcting my problem... I am considering trying removing the faulty cable and replacing it with one from closer to the edge of screen... will see how I go unless someone else can chime in with advice of how to fix the issue (ie most likely replace the cable)
Old 4th May 2014, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm sure this has already come up a million times, but us there any way to restore the LL forums? I know we've got limited access to it through the Way back Machine, but it would be terrible if that treasure trove of information was just gone forever.

Hide this!Advertise here!