Pixelworks PW338 audio out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everybody

I recently finished my diy projector, it uses a 15.4 WUXGA and the pixelworks pw338 controller, and I have the following problem.

For some reason resolutions higher than 1600 x 1200 don't work on the VGA input on the controller, so I'm using the HDMI inputs, but the thing is, I know HDMI carries video and audio digitally, and I was wondering if anyone knew a way to output audio (analog) from the board. I would only need 2ch stereo audio so no 5.1 surround sound for me.

I checked all of the connection on the board that are not used and all are either inverter output, or some 12v and 5v outputs.

I checked the pdf spec of the pw338 and it says it has stereo and headphone output but I can't find that anywhere on the board.

So my question is, I've seen a lot of people using this controller to build projectors and was wondering when using hdmi how do they get analog audio out?

Oh and I have the vga extension board with the controller.

I know one option would be to buy an hdmi audio extractor, but I was thinking the controller should be able to output analog audio.

Any thoughts or hints would be greatly appreciated

Alex

After more searching around I realized that the PW338 main board nor the vga extension board don't have a DAC chip on them so digital audio signal from HDMI can't be converted to analogue no mater what.

I think the other extension board with all the AV, scart and TV inputs and outputs can decode and convert digital audio to analog, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, now that I know that I can stop messing with my board :)
But I still need to get analogue out of my hdmi signal.
I don't know if this is the right part of the forum to ask this but I have yet another question.

Are there any Bluray or DVD players or other media players that support what I want, the ability to send video through HDMI and output analogue audio?
The other thing is I would like this player to also have a usb port so I can play files from my external HDD.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.