New whiter, brighter alternative to Metal Halide!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magnesium might emit a bright white light when in a vacuum with current passing through it.

The trouble is that this would need a great deal more power than a metal halide lamp.

Perhaps you could make a machine that constantly regulates a flow of magnesium tape into a burning chamber so that you can just insert a new roll for each movie and light the projector with a match. lol:eek:

well what i did today was set a magnesium stick on fire. it had a pure white colour temp and had a lot of lumens (20000 or more) what my idea is is to replace the tungsten in a light bulb with magnesium. you would not be able to use more power than with a metal halide as magnesium has a low melting point and too much power will melt it.

____
Jake
____

see the thing is that as i mentioned beforee that it has a low melting temp, so tungsten is used instead as it has a really high melting point. but wat i mean is use it at low power so as to not burn it out quickly and to not ignite it, but just to get it to glow. it would still produce a hell of a lot light as i said before if you look at it while alight it damages ur retina caus its so bright

____
Jake
____

bobcat,

ithink maybe 120 volts maximum. ill see if i can experiment with it a bit. litteraly, if you get the right power level, it will definately work.
When heated to about 800° C (about 1472° F), it reacts with oxygen and emits a brilliant white light. Magnesium melts at about 649° C (1200° F), boils at about 1107° C (about 2025° F), and has a specific gravity of 1.74; the atomic weight of magnesium is 24.305
. That came from MSN Learning. See the only problem is that the melting point is below the pint in which it produce white glow. But maybe it will still produce white loight, but not as bright if not given so much power

____
Jake
____

Here's the chemistry side of it.

When magnesium burns, that literally means its atoms are mixing with oxygen atoms. As with any other molecule.

During this process, a great deal of energy is emitted as heat and light.

Simply passing a current through the magnesium doesn't mean that it will have the same kind of light output.

I was going to say the same thing. Now, trying to think of a way to provide magnesium constently to this chemical light bulb ... :D

by the way, I don't know if anyone of you saw those flash lights in old movies. They were made of magnesium. a stripe of magnesium is burned in a metal box and a mirror directs the light towarding objects. you need to change the magnesium after every photo of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.