International OHP's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I bought a US OHP the 3M 9800 off ebay, the problem is i live in Australia and 3M says that they are not multivoltage compatible. They say i can use a step down convertor but this will only convert the 240V of aust to the 110V of US but the hertz will remain the same (australia has 50hz us has 60hz)
They say this will make the fan go slower (only 1/6th anyway)
and they unit could overheat. I was thinking of adding a 50hz fan and removing the other one, would this work?
Also would the fan be the only thing which would be affected by the different hertz or would/could i be doing big damage to the OHP? Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
blutacky

hey bud im an ex aussie myself, the hz in aust is actually 60hz not 50 well in perth it is anyway, europe is 50hz and usa duno lol ok your problem is quite easily solved but it will al depend if u are going to retrofit the ohp or not with a new lighting system, that will have to be done for it to be able to be used in perth, the fan is no drama, try to find a 120mm or get 2 80mm 240v fans say from altronic's, they are cheaper than dick smiths and basically take the fan or fans out of the ohp and just replace it with the new 240v ones, some modding to the ohp case might be needed for the fan retrofit but thats no big deal, the lighting system id go for a 250w mh system from diy labs but make sure u get the 220v version, other than the light and fans there is nothing more to worry about unless there is more stuff in there wich i doubt other than switches wich are fine.

Trev

Hi Ace
Thanks for your help!
I emailed 3M about the problem and they said it was made for "120V and 60Hz" so if australia has 60Hz as well, then it shouldnt be a problem should it? All i would need to do is buy a step down convertor which converts the 240v power of aus to 120v us, wouldnt i? I may not need to retrofit the fan or the lamp if its only the voltage difference cos i can easily get a converter for that. Also how many watts would the power input be, cos there are different step down convertors for the different amounts of wattage you need to input.
does this sound correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.