Theory on how to double light intensity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry guys about the crude drawing but heres something i was thinking about. I figured 2 250W bulbs would be better than one, and if we could find a way to use them that we would get better results - basically its two bulbs aimed at a mirror at a certain angle, i am guessing 45 degrees, to combine both beams into a stronger one.
what do you guys think? not good?
hit me with it :mafioso:

Attachments

• theory.jpg
    theory.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 356
I was trying to understand how you can get the 2 original beams to change directions at right angles so closely to each other.
The mirror for the left bulb would have to be at 45 degree angle
and so would the one from the right but at the opposite angle. One mirror would block the beam from the other would it not?

ok the angles in teh drawing are obviously off, but heres the thing, mount the lights at a 45 degree angle, the should coiincide at a point in the center of the mirror if th emirror is far enough and they should combine into one beam, this is theoretically of course, please undertsand the drawing is off by porportions and degrees

If you set your bulbs at 45 degree angles, then you need to mount two mirrors at 67.5 degree angles ( or 22.5 degrees off of the the perpendicular ( spelling? ) axis of the LCD. In any case, I think that everyone else in this post has a point with the light spillage that you will have from trying to angle your lenses/ mirrors perfectly.
If you get to go, make sure that you post the pics!

Isnt is going to give a double image? I mean unless you manage to join the beams before the LCD stage, isnt it just going to project 2 images offset by the diffrence of the point sources?

This is prettymuch has the same objective that I was asking about in my Omni-Hax thread. Except I was thinking of orthagonal light paths through a prism donated by a used/broken tri-LCD projector.

CB.

As said b4 in other threads, you can not "mix" light from multiple sources without serious hardware (eg a huge version of the prisms as used in 3lcd projectors).
Its is not important to get the light converged to 1 point; you have to get all the rays pointing in the same, or at least a known/usable, direction.

No design with mirrors and lenses can do that.

When in doubt:
Draw a single bulb, condensor lens (optional) and the fresnel lens. Add a few light beams at different angles from the bulb through the optional condensor to the fresnel.

Do the same for your multi light setup (only include parts upto the fresnel)
Now compare the drawings; if the rays do not hit the fresnel at the same angle on both drawings it wont work. And remember we live in a 3D world!

Or try the search function:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.