5.6" TFT Joytech - any experiences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
5.6" TFT Joytech - any experiences?

Hi there!

I just saw this 5.6 inch TFT Colour Monitor from "Joytech". It is originally designed to be used with PS2. Look right here:

http://www.joytech.net/product.asp?id=115

Very low price too, costs only 100 US$.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of display? Is it easy to dismantle? Is it possible to attach a VGA source? What are the exact specs?

Thanx.
wenkman

if you would have really searched instead of just clicking the "i've searched box" you would have read that these panels are no good at all. they have very low resolution and low contrast. it'll give you a bad image if you blow it up to any size.

if you go to partsexpress.com you can get the same panel for cheaper that $100.00 and if you get it from ebay you'll get it even cheaper.

ap0

Because i had some unexpected payments to do I delayed the start of my "big" pj project but because my friends told me i could never build a pj myself I wanted to show they were wrong.
So i used parts i had lying around and some other cheap stuff to build a "pre-big-pj-project" as a test. I now have a nice little pj with an ok quality to watch tv. Its a portable thing which i'm kinda proud of. I know its not nearly good enough to show the dvd quality off to friends, but it's nice. The lcd is an old playstation screen which is low resolution but not too low. You'll never believe what lamp i used :) ... a 50 watts halogen spot used in ordinary bedroom lighting :) I noticed that a 500watt worklight delivers about the same lightpower as the 50watt: the difference is that the 500 watt light spreads the light all around: the whole room is brightly lit whilst the 50 watt light focuses its light with the help of a small built-in lense. the angle of the beam is about 30°.
OK, my image is very dark but is IS nicely watchable when you limit the projection size to about 1,5meter diameter.

Stop bashing people who want to try to build a DIY-mini-PJ: its nice to watch tv, but if you want to watch movies on a quality-image with friends or family, dont bother cuz you'll need a better project. I'm gonna build mine as soon as i know what lamp to use (250 watts or 400 watts MH -> check the new topic!)

I'm considering building a portable Mini Projector. I have my OHP setup, wich I love, but I want something small to take to other people's houses, use in my room, etc. It would be very cheap to do, wich is one reason I am considering it. I figure I would use a 4" or 5" PSOne LCD, a Projection TV Lens, and possibly a Lights of America flourescent worklight(if not, some type of cheap halogen). I can probably put all this together for less than $150, maybe even less than $100. I think I'm going to try the VGA hack on my PSOne LCD tomorrow, if that works I think I'' definetly do it.

I've heard the VGA hack is pretty decent looking, but I don't really know how it works. There's a website that shows a picture of a 5" screen, and the text is readable at size 9! Like I said, this is for a small projector, like 50"-60", and a major factor in the design is protability. I really want to use a VGA or SVGA 6.4"-10.4" LCD eventually, and build it into a computer case. Unfortunately, those are pretty hard to come by.

Thanks for your answer. I also got some specs from the vendor:

1. resolution of the tft display - 960 x 240

2. response time (rise and fall) - NOT KNOWN

3. contrast ratio - NOT KNOWN

4. number of colours - 262,144colour

5. vga input possibility - YES

does'nt sound too bad. but for bigger screens the resolution might be too low.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.