dvi-d input importance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If my plan was to watch only ntsc dvd or digital ntsc satellite such as directv signal, how important would it be to have a dvi-d input to my 15inch lcd. In the case of the dvd source would be coming from my HTPC and dvi-d video card? How much better would the result be compared to say just vga out to vga on the panel?

You'll honestly be able to SEE the difference. It's not like regular RCA to S-Video where there is a difference... but not everyone can notice it. BIG... BIG DIFFERENCE! Well worth the money!

DVI-D is your ideal connection. It's the only connection I use with my projector. Buy yourself a MyHD card and you'll actually enjoy watching TV on your projector. Unlike everyone else on the board who only use it for Movies and games! Pump everything through your HTPC... keep the signal all DIGITAL and you'll have your new television!

And if you get directTV... look into an SDI connection. You can have them installed. If you dont know what SDI is... think DVI-D but a step up! Look into it.

VGA and RGB are not digital... but they are better then RCA, S-Video and Comp. Video.

Thanks.
I thought dvi-d was top of the line. SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface I believe. I know this is used in mastering but did not know it was available on consumer level. Dont I also need my lcd panel to have SDI connection then if I have a sat receiver with SDI out?

I saw some hd receivers with dvi-d out for around $600 bucks.
Is that about right? Normally Directv doent charge for equipment but they do for HD stuff dont they.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.