I just built a decent screen for < $20 CAD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I combined two ideas into one. People have talked about how their bed sheet screens create a haze and blur the image, and people talk about shower curtains being decent, but reflect quite a bit and have a lot of creases... so I put the two on top of eachother, and used some scrap wood I had lying around and poof! A 58x77" Screen that cost me $14.97 at walmart! I have pictures, but have to get them developed... I highly recommend this if you want to upgrade from a wall but don't have a lot of money..

well it is certainly a good idea but kind of an ovious one too.
especialy when someone uses bed sheets which are to transparent. i use paper which is better but still letting light thru. so i plan on making the backside relfektiv. with some paint oder reflektive film, what ever is cheap enough. i cerntainly want to avoid paying so much for real projection screens. those are way to...ah i don't know.

I took a few pictures of construction... One of the frame, one of the shower curtain stretched on, and one of the bed sheet stretched on. They're on my dads camera, so I'll have to finish the roll with screen shots and get them to the developer asap.. It's a really (really) simple design for the frame.. two 1/5" thick 77" long beams and 2 1.5" thick 58" beams all being held together by one screw in each beam for the main part of the frame (any more screws and the wood would split) then I took some scrap wood and made 45 degree cuts on them to brace the frame and square it up... I guess the price would go up for those who don't have scrap wood lying around... my dad's a wood worker so I have a great workshop and plenty of wood at my disposal :)

don't get paper. it sucks but it was the fastest and cheapest at that time. but on the long run i'll get some real fabric stuff like neo here. it's just to fragile to any form of physical treatment. and over time it just gets worse. paper schould not be "on air" to long or it loses the white. but i was worried about how to get the idea of bedsheets and reflektive material together and all that without bumps and stuff. with paper you get the job done quick and easy. then you have a even, clean and straight screen which you an roll in. but it doesn't last for long...

however i will never build a frame based screen. i hope it won't get to complicated getting fabric straight without a frame. paper works great with those tubes. just tape it on with care and it holds. paper is nonelastic if kept dry. but fabric could be tricky...however i've bought some time with the paper method until i get the beamer done. then i'll look for some real deal...

ah yeah i forgot to tell you the source. i got the paper from a place where you can buy lots of stuff for writing drawing and so on. architects need papaer this big for whatever...mabe they're writing eachother notes in huge letters ... heh.

i just picked up a bed sheet, Royal 275 thread count... very smooth - almost makes me want to sleep in it. 24 CDN at the Bay

right now its drapped over a a small peice of MDF, i'm planning on stapling another peice to the bottom and having something like nitemare's screen... i've got to bring it back to school with me so i need something colaspable

Neo - where in ottawa do you live? i'm from orleans and i'm living at home thier till the end of aug, when back to school

Pics!

Here's the frame!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And The Shower Curtain Stapled On (Doesn't have to be wrinkle free) [That's my dad in the picture]

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The finished product

A screenshot of the sharp splash screen

I'll get a shot of a movie some time soon.. it's a lot sharper in real life btw..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.